A7V8X-X component recommendations?

Posted this yesterday to alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus, but looks
like this is the main group. Why are there two groups?

Anyway...

I am building a machine for my son to take to college. He only needs a
basic system. I have built a few boxes with ECS k7s5a boards, but
thought I try an Asus this time. I'm looking at the A7V8X-X / Sempron
2200; here are some questions... First, is this a good choice for a
basic system? Is there another Asus in this price range I should
consider?

TIA. Sorry for double post...I'll only post here from now on.
3 answers Last reply
More about a7v8x component recommendations

    I am posting this from an A7V8X-X based PC that I built for my
    mother and it has been a superb system. It has an Athlon XP 2800+
    CPU, 512 MB Crucial RAM, ATI 9200 Video, and Hitachi 120 GB Deskstar
    HDD w/8Mb cache. It has been running flawlessly since July 2003
    (although I upgraded the HDD two weeks ago to dual boot) and I
    can recommend it highly. It boots Windows XP Pro and Fedora Core 4
    and runs both without problems.

    Philip Wright

    webguy262@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Posted this yesterday to alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus, but looks
    > like this is the main group. Why are there two groups?
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > I am building a machine for my son to take to college. He only needs a
    > basic system. I have built a few boxes with ECS k7s5a boards, but
    > thought I try an Asus this time. I'm looking at the A7V8X-X / Sempron
    > 2200; here are some questions... First, is this a good choice for a
    > basic system? Is there another Asus in this price range I should
    > consider?
    >
    > TIA. Sorry for double post...I'll only post here from now on.

    Thanks philip. Is your ATI the SE version? I saw a list of Asus
    recommended v'cards and it had the 9200 SE. Are you using 2700 RAM?

    I am using a standard Radeon 9200 and pc32000 RAM.

    -PW

    webguy262@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks philip. Is your ATI the SE version? I saw a list of Asus
    > recommended v'cards and it had the 9200 SE. Are you using 2700 RAM?

Asus Components Basic Motherboards