Xp installed on SATA drive with ... no SATA controller !

September 13, 2004 4:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,
I have a strange behaviour with XP and I am wondering if someone here has
already saw this kind of thing.
So here it is :
I have an A7N8X deluxe motherboard and a SIL3112 Raid SATA controller also a
seagate 120 Go SATA disk.
> I have setup a new installation of XP and provided right drivers in the
setup for the SATA controller to work and see the SATA disk
> XP install itself fine with no problem on the SATA disk
> then I install remaining drivers (video, chipset...)
> then I see in device manager that the RAID controller (SATA controller I
guess) is mark as unknow/non installed ??? strange because actually Xp has
to use the SATA controller to install itself ...
> So I decide to install the correct driver (note that at this point, all is
working great) using the same one that I used to installed XP
> Then reboot
> And XP start very very slowly and never goes to the login process....
> I have to use the LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION to use xp

So, why XP can't install the SATA controller in the right way if it is using
it ??? note that also the SATA disk is reconize and used ver well ...
Even an update on the setup does not solve the problem ....

Please send info on techuspport_nospam@sqliaison.com (remove _nospam)
Thanks
September 13, 2004 9:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If the drive is identified in BIOS [specific attributes setup by you or using
default settings] and also by XP [driver installed] but not funbctioning
corretly, then there is a discrepancy between the RAID definitions.

Make sure you read the manuals carefully and choose 'matching' RAID settings
for BIOS and XP.

N.B. Private responses do not benefit the Discussion Group community.

"Romain Pelissier" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a strange behaviour with XP and I am wondering if someone here has
> already saw this kind of thing.
> So here it is :
> I have an A7N8X deluxe motherboard and a SIL3112 Raid SATA controller also a
> seagate 120 Go SATA disk.
> > I have setup a new installation of XP and provided right drivers in the
> setup for the SATA controller to work and see the SATA disk
> > XP install itself fine with no problem on the SATA disk
> > then I install remaining drivers (video, chipset...)
> > then I see in device manager that the RAID controller (SATA controller I
> guess) is mark as unknow/non installed ??? strange because actually Xp has
> to use the SATA controller to install itself ...
> > So I decide to install the correct driver (note that at this point, all is
> working great) using the same one that I used to installed XP
> > Then reboot
> > And XP start very very slowly and never goes to the login process....
> > I have to use the LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION to use xp
>
> So, why XP can't install the SATA controller in the right way if it is using
> it ??? note that also the SATA disk is reconize and used ver well ...
> Even an update on the setup does not solve the problem ....
>
> Please send info on techuspport_nospam@sqliaison.com (remove _nospam)
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:47:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks,
In fact I find the solution yesterday, it is more an XP strange behaviour
that a real problem.
For info, my XP is installed on the SATA drive (1 disk, no raid), the disk
is reconized by the SATA controller at boot time and XP works fine exept
that in Device Manager, there is no trace of the SATA controller exept the
unknow device/RAID Controller.
If the driver are installed (same used for initial setup), the system is
very very slow at boot time.
So,
> boot using the configuration of xp where all is working, exept the unknow
device
> make an update on XP
> at boot time, where it asks for other drivers (F6), give the drivers of
the SATA controller
> finish the setup
> reinstall couple of drivers (video in my case)
> all is working and my SCSI Controller / SATA Controller is here and
functionning !

End of the story
PS : I am not familiar with news posting and I am using OE 6, so sorry if I
did a private message ....
Thanks for all

> If the drive is identified in BIOS [specific attributes setup by you or
using
> default settings] and also by XP [driver installed] but not funbctioning
> corretly, then there is a discrepancy between the RAID definitions.
>
> Make sure you read the manuals carefully and choose 'matching' RAID
settings
> for BIOS and XP.
>
> N.B. Private responses do not benefit the Discussion Group community.
>
> "Romain Pelissier" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a strange behaviour with XP and I am wondering if someone here
has
> > already saw this kind of thing.
> > So here it is :
> > I have an A7N8X deluxe motherboard and a SIL3112 Raid SATA controller
also a
> > seagate 120 Go SATA disk.
> > > I have setup a new installation of XP and provided right drivers in
the
> > setup for the SATA controller to work and see the SATA disk
> > > XP install itself fine with no problem on the SATA disk
> > > then I install remaining drivers (video, chipset...)
> > > then I see in device manager that the RAID controller (SATA controller
> > guess) is mark as unknow/non installed ??? strange because actually Xp
has
> > to use the SATA controller to install itself ...
> > > So I decide to install the correct driver (note that at this point,
all is
> > working great) using the same one that I used to installed XP
> > > Then reboot
> > > And XP start very very slowly and never goes to the login process....
> > > I have to use the LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION to use xp
> >
> > So, why XP can't install the SATA controller in the right way if it is
using
> > it ??? note that also the SATA disk is reconize and used ver well ...
> > Even an update on the setup does not solve the problem ....
> >
> > Please send info on techuspport_nospam@sqliaison.com (remove _nospam)
> > Thanks

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:47:43 PM