Accessing a private User Folder after reinstalling XP

September 13, 2004 6:53:02 PM

After a MBoard crash, my windows installation got corrupted and I was forced
to reinstall as repair failed.
Fitted a new (bigger) Drive and now have a shiny new clean install on that
drive which I have upgraded to SP2. With one major exception I can access
eveything on the old hard drive including the kid's original user folders.
Like a twit, I had made mine private and now I cannot access it or move it .
The fact that I have the same user name and password seems to be irrelevant.
I have most of my stuff backed up but not all.

Is there any way in?
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 9:06:02 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Cobbo" wrote:

| After a MBoard crash, my windows installation got corrupted and I was forced
| to reinstall as repair failed.
| Fitted a new (bigger) Drive and now have a shiny new clean install on that
| drive which I have upgraded to SP2. With one major exception I can access
| eveything on the old hard drive including the kid's original user folders.
| Like a twit, I had made mine private and now I cannot access it or move it .
| The fact that I have the same user name and password seems to be irrelevant.
| I have most of my stuff backed up but not all.
|
| Is there any way in?
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 5:23:07 PM

Thankee kindly kind sir - thats saved me a heap of hassle

Cheers
Fran

!