A8N-SLI 20 pin and what? EZ, or 12 pin ATX?

Hi folks,

I am somewhat clueless here.

I am building a new machine with an A8N-SLI,
an Antec P180 case, and a NorthQ 4100 PSU.

The PSU has a 20 pin plug, which I shouldbe able to fit in the 24-pin
plug without problems. The 4-pin ATX wire is however too short to
reach the plug on the mobo, as the PSU is in the bottom in this case.

Do I need to get an extension for this, or can I use the EZ instead?
I've got an ASUS 6600GT gfx card. If I plug in the EZ, will the card
draw power from the EZ then, or how does the gfx card power
distribution work between the EZ and the main 24-pin connector?

If the card will draw from the EZ, then I should be ok w/o the 4-pin
ATX plug? This is a light machine with only 1 HD, 1 DVD-drive,
no PCI card except the gfx and a few USB units.

So my question pretty much comes down to how the power is distributed
between the EZ, the 24-pin and the 4-pin, on the A8N-SLI.
Googling gives different suggestions for mostly elder ASUS boards...

Hmm... of course the 4-pin 12V ATX plug has to be connected
to boot the PC....

> So my question pretty much comes down to how the power is distributed
> between the EZ, the 24-pin and the 4-pin, on the A8N-SLI.
> Googling gives different suggestions for mostly elder ASUS boards...

milleron

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:31:06 +0200, "LD" <reply@tothegroup.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I am somewhat clueless here.
>
>I am building a new machine with an A8N-SLI,
>an Antec P180 case, and a NorthQ 4100 PSU.
>
>The PSU has a 20 pin plug, which I shouldbe able to fit in the 24-pin
>plug without problems. The 4-pin ATX wire is however too short to
>reach the plug on the mobo, as the PSU is in the bottom in this case.
>
>Do I need to get an extension for this, or can I use the EZ instead?
>I've got an ASUS 6600GT gfx card. If I plug in the EZ, will the card
>draw power from the EZ then, or how does the gfx card power
>distribution work between the EZ and the main 24-pin connector?
>
>If the card will draw from the EZ, then I should be ok w/o the 4-pin
>ATX plug? This is a light machine with only 1 HD, 1 DVD-drive,
>no PCI card except the gfx and a few USB units.
>
>So my question pretty much comes down to how the power is distributed
>between the EZ, the 24-pin and the 4-pin, on the A8N-SLI.
>Googling gives different suggestions for mostly elder ASUS boards...

Like LD said, you must connect the 4-pin 12V plug. You could get an
extender, but you should really consider getting a new PSU with a
24-pin connector and a cable that's long enough to reach your 4-pin
connector. This is especially true if you're planning to run two
graphics cards. In that case, expect the A8N-SLI Premium to be rather
finicky about PSUs. Using a PSU with only a 20-pin power connector,
risks instability by leaving the board somewhat underpowered.
EZ plug is important only if you're running two graphic cards. If
you're using just one, powering the EZ Plug is optional.

Ron