Windows XP Installation Error...

My system is:
P3 800Mhz
160Gig HD
128M RAM
LG DVD+-R/RW LG CD R/RW
Toward the end of the installation this error occurred:

There was a problem installing this Hardware
SYSTEM
An error occured during the install of this service.
The data is invalid.

What is this all about??
The HD is new. I just bought it a week ago. The installation is fresh. I
reformated the HD fully using the Windows XP Pro installation procedure.
I reinstalled Win XP Pro 3 times now with the same error.
It's driving me nuts!!!!
After the installation is completed, the CD drives don't show up.
If I do a re-boot they sometimes show up. I can not install the drivers,
as I keep getting the same Data is invalid!
LG does not have drivers for XP. They say XP has them built in.
Microsoft.com knowlege base says that the drivers may not be
compatible with XP.
I bought the two drives three weeks apart CD R/RW first, then the DVD.
This was a few week back. They ARE XP compatible, or at least the manual
says so.

Please, sombody help me.

Maybe I should stay with Win2000 and sell my XP disk...

More info:
The HD is in a drawer, so I can swap drives when I want to use Win 2000.
In win 2000 the CD and DVD works fine. So it can not be the drives.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried disconnecting the second cdrw. Is the 160g drive recognised
by the bios correctly, normally XP only formats the first 137g after that
SP1 is required to enable the remainder.
Repost, let us know.

Neil
"Windows User" <n/a> wrote in message
> My system is:
> P3 800Mhz
> 160Gig HD
> 128M RAM
> LG DVD+-R/RW LG CD R/RW
> Toward the end of the installation this error occurred:
>
> There was a problem installing this Hardware
> SYSTEM
> An error occured during the install of this service.
> The data is invalid.
>
> What is this all about??
> The HD is new. I just bought it a week ago. The installation is fresh. I
> reformated the HD fully using the Windows XP Pro installation procedure.
> I reinstalled Win XP Pro 3 times now with the same error.
> It's driving me nuts!!!!
> After the installation is completed, the CD drives don't show up.
> If I do a re-boot they sometimes show up. I can not install the drivers,
> as I keep getting the same Data is invalid!
> LG does not have drivers for XP. They say XP has them built in.
> Microsoft.com knowlege base says that the drivers may not be
> compatible with XP.
> I bought the two drives three weeks apart CD R/RW first, then the DVD.
> This was a few week back. They ARE XP compatible, or at least the manual
> says so.
>
> Please, sombody help me.
>
> Maybe I should stay with Win2000 and sell my XP disk...
>
> More info:
> The HD is in a drawer, so I can swap drives when I want to use Win 2000.
> In win 2000 the CD and DVD works fine. So it can not be the drives.

os

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Yes, I did try the CD-R alone. no difference.
My problem is figuring out what that obscure error message means.
Leave it to Microsoft to make up such dumb error description as
Hardware - SYSTEM.
They have no reference to it in the knowledge base.
My only thought is that maybe the partition is to small (4Gigs).
I reserved the rest of the HD for Data storage, etc.
Well, I'll keep working on it.

"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> Have you tried disconnecting the second cdrw. Is the 160g drive recognised
> by the bios correctly, normally XP only formats the first 137g after that
> SP1 is required to enable the remainder.
> Repost, let us know.
>
> Neil
> "Windows User" <n/a> wrote in message
> > My system is:
> > P3 800Mhz
> > 160Gig HD
> > 128M RAM
> > LG DVD+-R/RW LG CD R/RW
> > Toward the end of the installation this error occurred:
> >
> > There was a problem installing this Hardware
> > SYSTEM
> > An error occured during the install of this service.
> > The data is invalid.
> >
> > What is this all about??
> > The HD is new. I just bought it a week ago. The installation is fresh. I
> > reformated the HD fully using the Windows XP Pro installation procedure.
> > I reinstalled Win XP Pro 3 times now with the same error.
> > It's driving me nuts!!!!
> > After the installation is completed, the CD drives don't show up.
> > If I do a re-boot they sometimes show up. I can not install the drivers,
> > as I keep getting the same Data is invalid!
> > LG does not have drivers for XP. They say XP has them built in.
> > Microsoft.com knowlege base says that the drivers may not be
> > compatible with XP.
> > I bought the two drives three weeks apart CD R/RW first, then the DVD.
> > This was a few week back. They ARE XP compatible, or at least the manual
> > says so.
> >
> > Please, sombody help me.
> >
> > Maybe I should stay with Win2000 and sell my XP disk...
> >
> > More info:
> > The HD is in a drawer, so I can swap drives when I want to use Win 2000.
> > In win 2000 the CD and DVD works fine. So it can not be the drives.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did you spot this one
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315223

I suspect it is not specific to your problem I just wonder about resetting
the bios & trying again.

I had a puzzling problem when I last changed my HD, did a fresh install but
when booting from the CD the first blue screen would appear in the process
and then nothing, it would just sit there. Usually you get a progress area
at the bottom of the screen, but all I had was a blue screen with
"WindowsSetup" in the top left corner. (or whatever it says) Turned out to
be my memory card reader that I still had plugged into the USB port. No info
on that either it was just pure luck I decided to unplug everything that
wasn't needed.

Ho Hum
Best of luck anyway
Neil