Problem with Ethernet LAN to host PC

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
February 6, 2005 12:07:13 PM

When the Ethernet LAN is connected/enabled, cannot get
online to any websites on host/server PC (white screen
appears), but when is disabled, can get online with host
PC fine. My set-up is as follows:
(Am running Windows XP Prof. SP2)
1. There is extra hardware installed in the Host/server
called 'Cisco Aironet Wireless LAN Client Adapter' to be
able to receive (via aerial on roof), the Internet by
Wireless Broadband, (NOT cable or through the telephone
line, on ADSL). Our other 3 houses use the same system,
working correctly. (It is a local system for this area,
trying to get more people cheaply onto the internet). I
have added the Ethernet adapter to host/server, to enable
other computers in house to access the internet through
this computer, (Is ok in our other houses. Host computer
& Ethernet system is free of charge to our tenants!)
2. Unable to use a router, as it has to go through the
host computer,(situated downstairs), with the Cisco
system hardware/software installed, to get the internet.
3. Cables used are:
A. From Host PC to Network Switch is a Crossover patch
cable, inside trunking up the edge of stairs and round
the walls, on landing. (Have checked this cable with
another, same result).
B. From Switch to 3 bedrooms are UTP Patch cables. Unable
to know, if working or not, as they are not connected
yet, (they would not be able to access the internet
anyway!)
Both are store bought cables with pre-assembled
connectors.
Tried a working hub from another house, (as could not
get the Ethernet LAN to connect at all, on host PC. Had
red cross on it, in system tray). Then the above problem
was discovered. Have changed to Network Switch, still
same problem (per above).
If I install another Ethernet Adaptor into Host PC, with
driver, do you think this might solve the problem? Could
one in now, be faulty? Although shows as correct in
Device Manager.
Have tried everything can think of! Can anyone help me
please?
February 7, 2005 2:55:17 PM

Sounds like you're basically trying the same setup I wanted. Check out this
conversation

it describes a similar network, My wireless router(your antenna) is in one
room, and I run a network bridge on another (wireless to internet, wired to
lan) computer elsewhere. by bridging the two network connections as
specified here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp...

I've got internet on any computer connected to a hub that's connected to the
wired connection of the network bridge computer.

Only thing I have yet to figure out(since I just set it up today) is whether
or not this creates a serious drag on the network bridge host when other
computers are connected to the internet.

good luck, hope this helps...AC

"OLIM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When the Ethernet LAN is connected/enabled, cannot get
> online to any websites on host/server PC (white screen
> appears), but when is disabled, can get online with host
> PC fine. My set-up is as follows:
> (Am running Windows XP Prof. SP2)
> 1. There is extra hardware installed in the Host/server
> called 'Cisco Aironet Wireless LAN Client Adapter' to be
> able to receive (via aerial on roof), the Internet by
> Wireless Broadband, (NOT cable or through the telephone
> line, on ADSL). Our other 3 houses use the same system,
> working correctly. (It is a local system for this area,
> trying to get more people cheaply onto the internet). I
> have added the Ethernet adapter to host/server, to enable
> other computers in house to access the internet through
> this computer, (Is ok in our other houses. Host computer
> & Ethernet system is free of charge to our tenants!)
> 2. Unable to use a router, as it has to go through the
> host computer,(situated downstairs), with the Cisco
> system hardware/software installed, to get the internet.
> 3. Cables used are:
> A. From Host PC to Network Switch is a Crossover patch
> cable, inside trunking up the edge of stairs and round
> the walls, on landing. (Have checked this cable with
> another, same result).
> B. From Switch to 3 bedrooms are UTP Patch cables. Unable
> to know, if working or not, as they are not connected
> yet, (they would not be able to access the internet
> anyway!)
> Both are store bought cables with pre-assembled
> connectors.
> Tried a working hub from another house, (as could not
> get the Ethernet LAN to connect at all, on host PC. Had
> red cross on it, in system tray). Then the above problem
> was discovered. Have changed to Network Switch, still
> same problem (per above).
> If I install another Ethernet Adaptor into Host PC, with
> driver, do you think this might solve the problem? Could
> one in now, be faulty? Although shows as correct in
> Device Manager.
> Have tried everything can think of! Can anyone help me
> please?

February 7, 2005 2:55:18 PM

Thanks for your answer. But can you explain the Network
Bridge? I have looked up your website link, I think I
understand it? (that if there are 2 or more LAN
connections on the host, a Network Bridge is needed),
but I only have one Ethernet LAN connection, with the
Cisco Aironet Wireless LAN Client (the one actually
connected to the internet, acting as the 'Host'). So do
I really need to use the Network Bridge? If so? How do
I connect them, would it be bridging between the Cisco
Aironet and Ethernet LAN on the same computer? How
would I configure it, the same as the Ethernet or same as
Cisco one? I cannot use any other computer to set up a
Network Bridge, as they are not my computers, can only
get others to set theirs up - using either the 'Network
Setup Wizard' or manually setting it up. Hope your
system keeps on working. As mine did work once!

t/crawford_02april22.mspx

!