A8N Sli-Deluxe chip fan problems

I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year warranty
with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds and is
struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals sometimes
even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would be..Either
send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip fan..what would
u suggest?

Aiden

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302441

>I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year warranty
> with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds and is
> struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals sometimes
> even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would be..Either
> send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip fan..what would
> u suggest?

That was a problem with the early versions of that board. Contact
ASUS and they will send you a quieter replacement.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

"" wrote:
> >I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year
> warranty
> > with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds
> and is
> > struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals
> sometimes
> > even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would
> be..Either
> > send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip
> fan..what would
> > u suggest?
>
> That was a problem with the early versions of that board.
> Contact
> ASUS and they will send you a quieter replacement.
>
> ---
> Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
> E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
> Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Thank You :) Its in the mail ^_^

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303332

Known and very well unofficially documented flaw with the motherboard.
Buying a Zalman NB47J chipset passive heatsink will do the track. I had to
do this and so did many others that I know who own this board.

If you don't want to deal with the passive heatsink, I think you can still
call ASUS and they'll send you another fan although I don't know if it's the
same one that is breaking down for everyone.

--
Nocturnal

"nexx" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year warranty
> with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds and is
> struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals sometimes
> even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would be..Either
> send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip fan..what would
> u suggest?
>
> Aiden

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302441

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

I put the Zalman cooler on recently as well. I got my board the first week
of January and I couldn't take the noise any more. It actually is 1-2
degrees cooler than the fan. Never goes above 40-41 deg after 4 days
straight of F@H. I realize that probably doesn't drive the chipset, but the
cpu never went above 38 degrees with the 7700-cu cooler. a great combo. BTW
I live in Las Vegas and the case temp is normally 33-34 degrees.

--
Tom
"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> Known and very well unofficially documented flaw with the motherboard.
> Buying a Zalman NB47J chipset passive heatsink will do the track. I had
> to do this and so did many others that I know who own this board.
>
> If you don't want to deal with the passive heatsink, I think you can still
> call ASUS and they'll send you another fan although I don't know if it's
> the same one that is breaking down for everyone.
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>

> "nexx" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>>I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year warranty
>> with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds and is
>> struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals sometimes
>> even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would be..Either
>> send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip fan..what would
>> u suggest?
>>
>> Aiden
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302441

Which Zalman cooler did you install ?
I have a passive one by Zalman, and it is
quite warm to the touch.
How do you read the temperature of
the chipset. I do not see any data in
PC Probe.

"tawpgk" <tawpgk@nospammers.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
JwOIe.50983$Eo.12115@fed1read04...
>I put the Zalman cooler on recently as well. I got my board the first week
>of January and I couldn't take the noise any more. It actually is 1-2
>degrees cooler than the fan. Never goes above 40-41 deg after 4 days
>straight of F@H. I realize that probably doesn't drive the chipset, but the
>cpu never went above 38 degrees with the 7700-cu cooler. a great combo. BTW
>I live in Las Vegas and the case temp is normally 33-34 degrees.
>
> --
> Tom
> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>> Known and very well unofficially documented flaw with the motherboard.
>> Buying a Zalman NB47J chipset passive heatsink will do the track. I had
>> to do this and so did many others that I know who own this board.
>>
>> If you don't want to deal with the passive heatsink, I think you can
>> still call ASUS and they'll send you another fan although I don't know if
>> it's the same one that is breaking down for everyone.
>>
>> --
>> Nocturnal
>>

>> "nexx" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>>>I bought this mobo about 6months ago and have a three year warranty
>>> with Asus. My chip fan has been making alot of bad sounds and is
>>> struggling to run. It starts and stops at 10second intervals sometimes
>>> even less...I was wondering what the best thing to do would be..Either
>>> send the mobo back and get a new one or get a new chip fan..what would
>>> u suggest?
>>>
>>> Aiden
>>>
>>> --
>>> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
>>> request
>>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>>> Topic URL:
>>> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
>>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>>> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302441

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

I have the same HS as you the NB47J. I am taking the Motherboard temperature
as the nForce4 chip temperature. Is that not correct?

--
Tom
"Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Which Zalman cooler did you install ?
> I have a passive one by Zalman, and it is
> quite warm to the touch.
> How do you read the temperature of
> the chipset. I do not see any data in
> PC Probe.
>
> "tawpgk" <tawpgk@nospammers.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> JwOIe.50983$Eo.12115@fed1read04...
>>I put the Zalman cooler on recently as well. I got my board the first week
>>of January and I couldn't take the noise any more. It actually is 1-2
>>degrees cooler than the fan. Never goes above 40-41 deg after 4 days
>>straight of F@H. I realize that probably doesn't drive the chipset, but
>>the cpu never went above 38 degrees with the 7700-cu cooler. a great
>>combo. BTW I live in Las Vegas and the case temp is normally 33-34
>>degrees.
>>
>> --
>> Tom
>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>> Known and very well unofficially documented flaw with the motherboard.
>>> Buying a Zalman NB47J chipset passive heatsink will do the track. I had
>>> to do this and so did many others that I know who own this board.
>>>
>>> If you don't want to deal with the passive heatsink, I think you can
>>> still call ASUS and they'll send you another fan although I don't know
>>> if it's the same one that is breaking down for everyone.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nocturnal
>>>

>>> "nexx" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

tawpgk

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

Right now the with F@H running the CPUis at 38 and the motherboard reading
is at 39. when I touch the top fins of the NB47-j, they are barely warm. The
base is fairly warm but not too hot to touch.

--
Tom
"Natéag" <gaetanfo@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Which Zalman cooler did you install ?
> I have a passive one by Zalman, and it is
> quite warm to the touch.
> How do you read the temperature of
> the chipset. I do not see any data in
> PC Probe.
>
> "tawpgk" <tawpgk@nospammers.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> JwOIe.50983$Eo.12115@fed1read04...
>>I put the Zalman cooler on recently as well. I got my board the first week
>>of January and I couldn't take the noise any more. It actually is 1-2
>>degrees cooler than the fan. Never goes above 40-41 deg after 4 days
>>straight of F@H. I realize that probably doesn't drive the chipset, but
>>the cpu never went above 38 degrees with the 7700-cu cooler. a great
>>combo. BTW I live in Las Vegas and the case temp is normally 33-34
>>degrees.
>>
>> --
>> Tom
>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>> Known and very well unofficially documented flaw with the motherboard.
>>> Buying a Zalman NB47J chipset passive heatsink will do the track. I had
>>> to do this and so did many others that I know who own this board.
>>>
>>> If you don't want to deal with the passive heatsink, I think you can
>>> still call ASUS and they'll send you another fan although I don't know
>>> if it's the same one that is breaking down for everyone.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nocturnal
>>>

>>> "nexx" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

milleron

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:01:00 -0700, "tawpgk" <tawpgk@nospammers.net>
wrote:

>I have the same HS as you the NB47J. I am taking the Motherboard temperature
>as the nForce4 chip temperature. Is that not correct?

After many questions and replies on many forums besides this one, I
believe that you are, indeed, correct. The "motherboard" or "system"
temperature is always the hottest one reported on this series of
boards. I think that logic tells you that this sensor must be in or
near the nForce chipset.
There have been posts from a few A8N-SLI Premium owners whose choice
of case forced them to mount the board upside down. In that case the
heatpipe cooling of the chipset fails, and the chipset becomes
terribly hot. These users reported "system" temps of over 60°C.

Ron

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

That's because the Premium uses a heatpipe setup which has to be mounted in
a certain orientation, if you put it upside down, it traps the heat at the
chipset instead of transporting it to the heatsink

"" wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:01:00 -0700, "tawpgk"
> <tawpgk@nospammers.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have the same HS as you the NB47J. I am taking the
> Motherboard temperature
> >as the nForce4 chip temperature. Is that not correct?
>
> After many questions and replies on many forums besides this
> one, I
> believe that you are, indeed, correct. The "motherboard" or
> "system"
> temperature is always the hottest one reported on this series
> of
> boards. I think that logic tells you that this sensor must be
> in or
> near the nForce chipset.
> There have been posts from a few A8N-SLI Premium owners whose
> choice
> of case forced them to mount the board upside down. In that
> case the
> heatpipe cooling of the chipset fails, and the chipset becomes
> terribly hot. These users reported "system" temps of over
> 60°C.
>

> Ron

Well My motherboard temperature is at a steady 40C. My fan hasnt been
working for months and the temp has never increased.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-chip-fan-problems-ftopict59793.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303796

> Right now the with F@H running the CPUis at 38 and the motherboard reading
> is at 39. when I touch the top fins of the NB47-j, they are barely warm.
> The base is fairly warm but not too hot to touch.

I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?

milleron

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:04:13 +0200, "LD" <answer.tothe@group.invalid>
wrote:

>> Right now the with F@H running the CPUis at 38 and the motherboard reading
>> is at 39. when I touch the top fins of the NB47-j, they are barely warm.
>> The base is fairly warm but not too hot to touch.
>
>I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
>chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?

I've read dozens of posts from users who installed this Zalman
heatsink on A8N boards, and I've never seen one reporting any
problems, at all.

Ron

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

The actual die on the Nforce chip that mates to the heatsink is actually
rather small. Its not an issue.
"LD" <answer.tothe@group.invalid> wrote in message

>> Right now the with F@H running the CPUis at 38 and the motherboard
>> reading
>> is at 39. when I touch the top fins of the NB47-j, they are barely warm.
>> The base is fairly warm but not too hot to touch.
>
> I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
> chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?

mark

LD (answer.tothe@group.invalid) wrote:

> I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
> chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?

It does cover the whole chip, I just did one last week. A bit fiddly to get
the pegs to line up with the holes but works perfectly.

Mark

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I installed the Zalman on my chipset before I even
installed the motherboard. Got it running today and
that thing is hot to the touch.

An earlier poster said he has been running his without
the fan running so I guess it's not gonna hurt it.
The stock HSF doesn't have much of a heatsink.

Larry

"Mark" <no.mail@reply.here> wrote in message
> LD (answer.tothe@group.invalid) wrote:
>
>> I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
>> chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?
>
> It does cover the whole chip, I just did one last week. A bit fiddly to
> get
> the pegs to line up with the holes but works perfectly.
>
> Mark

I've been using a coolermaster heatsink only, it's just like the zalman.
It's been 100% stable for 6 months now.

"Larry" <k5zh@sox.net> wrote in message news:3ntKe.7$Pl1.1@okepread02...
>I installed the Zalman on my chipset before I even
> installed the motherboard. Got it running today and
> that thing is hot to the touch.
>
> An earlier poster said he has been running his without
> the fan running so I guess it's not gonna hurt it.
> The stock HSF doesn't have much of a heatsink.
>
> Larry
>
> "Mark" <no.mail@reply.here> wrote in message
>> LD (answer.tothe@group.invalid) wrote:
>>
>>> I considered the same passive heatsink, but it does not cover the whole
>>> chip, as it is rectangular. Should one just ignore this?
>>
>> It does cover the whole chip, I just did one last week. A bit fiddly to
>> get
>> the pegs to line up with the holes but works perfectly.
>>
>> Mark

mark

Larry (k5zh@sox.net) wrote:

> I installed the Zalman on my chipset before I even
> installed the motherboard. Got it running today and
> that thing is hot to the touch.
>
> An earlier poster said he has been running his without
> the fan running so I guess it's not gonna hurt it.
> The stock HSF doesn't have much of a heatsink.

I installed my Zalman when I built the motherboard. No fan. I've just touched
it now, cold, not remotely warm!

I have a large 120mm inlet fan blowing into the case about 6 inches away from
the chipset+heatsink.

Mark

milleron

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:50 +0100 (BST), no.mail@reply.here (Mark)
wrote:

>Larry (k5zh@sox.net) wrote:
>
>> I installed the Zalman on my chipset before I even
>> installed the motherboard. Got it running today and
>> that thing is hot to the touch.
>>
>> An earlier poster said he has been running his without
>> the fan running so I guess it's not gonna hurt it.
>> The stock HSF doesn't have much of a heatsink.
>
>I installed my Zalman when I built the motherboard. No fan. I've just touched
>it now, cold, not remotely warm!
>
>I have a large 120mm inlet fan blowing into the case about 6 inches away from
>the chipset+heatsink.
>
>Mark

Any thoughts as to how different users could get such widely varying
results, all the way from "that thing is hot" to "cold" using the same
heatsink?

Ron

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Any thoughts as to how different users could get such widely varying
> results, all the way from "that thing is hot" to "cold" using the same
> heatsink?

That is weird to me also Ron. My Zalman heat sink is too hot
to touch for more than a second. Mark has a good airflow to
his. I have an 80mm fan blowing past my hard drive before it
gets to the Zalman. I've only had it running one day and have
not had any crashes yet.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"> Any thoughts as to how different users could get such widely varying
> results, all the way from "that thing is hot" to "cold" using the same
> heatsink?

I just read a review on Newegg that Asus has a new fan
that will fix the problem.

mark

milleron (millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu) wrote:

> Any thoughts as to how different users could get such widely varying
> results, all the way from "that thing is hot" to "cold" using the same
> heatsink?

Other than I have a 120mm YSTECH fan blowing over it.
This model provides probably one of the biggest air flows of any computer fan
I know, YS-TECH FD1238 120mm fan 2800rpm, 125cfm 40.5dBA £11.69
overclockers.co.uk.

Mark

milleron

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:55:04 -0400, "Jason" <ae2wolfman@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>That's because the Premium uses a heatpipe setup which has to be mounted in
>a certain orientation, if you put it upside down, it traps the heat at the
>chipset instead of transporting it to the heatsink

Yes, we know why it gets hot when mounted upside down. This scenario
was posted here as evidence that the temp sensor that's reported as
"motherboard" or "system" is actually measuring the chipset
temperature.

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:01:00 -0700, "tawpgk" <tawpgk@nospammers.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have the same HS as you the NB47J. I am taking the Motherboard
>>>temperature
>>>as the nForce4 chip temperature. Is that not correct?
>>
>> After many questions and replies on many forums besides this one, I
>> believe that you are, indeed, correct. The "motherboard" or "system"
>> temperature is always the hottest one reported on this series of
>> boards. I think that logic tells you that this sensor must be in or
>> near the nForce chipset.
>> There have been posts from a few A8N-SLI Premium owners whose choice
>> of case forced them to mount the board upside down. In that case the
>> heatpipe cooling of the chipset fails, and the chipset becomes
>> terribly hot. These users reported "system" temps of over 60°C.
>>

>> Ron

Ron