Asus Fanless Design Interferes with Intel Fan?

Installing the Intel Fan that came with the Processor (large round
cyclinder) on a Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. When I press in the fan it
interfere's a bit with the silver cyclinder labeled "ASUS Fanless Design,
Zero Noise, No Moving Parts". Actually knocks the silver block loose. What
is going on, am I doing something wrong, this doesn't seem right though I
have been following the instructions in the manuals.

Seems that I have the fan in now. Should the ASUS Fanless Design gray box
on the motherboard be slideable (i.e. movable) a little bit or should it be
solid attached to the motherboard. See two white fasterners holding it
down? If it is ok to see it move a bit I may be ok?

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
> Installing the Intel Fan that came with the Processor (large round
> cyclinder) on a Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. When I press in the fan it
> interfere's a bit with the silver cyclinder labeled "ASUS Fanless Design,
> Zero Noise, No Moving Parts". Actually knocks the silver block loose.
> What is going on, am I doing something wrong, this doesn't seem right
> though I have been following the instructions in the manuals.

The heatsink should keep good contact with the components under it. So If
the heatsink is lifted it won't work anymore. A little bit moved is no
problem as long as the tention is not to high. Otherwise the fasterners
could break.

"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> schreef in bericht
> Seems that I have the fan in now. Should the ASUS Fanless Design gray box
> on the motherboard be slideable (i.e. movable) a little bit or should it
> be solid attached to the motherboard. See two white fasterners holding it
> down? If it is ok to see it move a bit I may be ok?
>
> "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
>> Installing the Intel Fan that came with the Processor (large round
>> cyclinder) on a Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. When I press in the fan it
>> interfere's a bit with the silver cyclinder labeled "ASUS Fanless Design,
>> Zero Noise, No Moving Parts". Actually knocks the silver block loose.
>> What is going on, am I doing something wrong, this doesn't seem right
>> though I have been following the instructions in the manuals.

milleron

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 06:54:37 -0700, "Al Franz"
<albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote:

>Seems that I have the fan in now. Should the ASUS Fanless Design gray box
>on the motherboard be slideable (i.e. movable) a little bit or should it be
>solid attached to the motherboard. See two white fasterners holding it
>down? If it is ok to see it move a bit I may be ok?

It should be solid. It depends on what you mean by " . . . moveable)
a little bit." It sounds as though you knocked it loose and broke the
thermal seal between the chipset and the cooler. Before running the
board for long periods of time, I'd check very carefully to make sure
that the northbridge is actually being cooled. If the seal (either
thermal tape or thermal compound) was broken, you're motherboard will
probably fail pretty soon.

>"Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message
>> Installing the Intel Fan that came with the Processor (large round
>> cyclinder) on a Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. When I press in the fan it
>> interfere's a bit with the silver cyclinder labeled "ASUS Fanless Design,
>> Zero Noise, No Moving Parts". Actually knocks the silver block loose.
>> What is going on, am I doing something wrong, this doesn't seem right
>> though I have been following the instructions in the manuals.

Ron

mikey3457

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Installing the Intel Fan that came with the Processor (large round
cyclinder) on a Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. When I press in the fan it
interfere's a bit with the silver cyclinder labeled "ASUS Fanless Design,
Zero Noise, No Moving Parts". Actually knocks the silver block loose. What
is going on, am I doing something wrong, this doesn't seem right though I
have been following the instructions in the manuals.

Am trying to do the same thing u are what type of fan did u use and how did u mount it ??