Has anyone gotten an enermax PS to show PWR_FAN rpm's

I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?
8 answers Last reply
More about enermax show pwr_fan

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:20:04 GMT, Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> managed
    to one finger type the following:

    I have a Enermax EG365P-VE and my power fan is 3pin....I don't have a problem
    didn't know they made a 2-pin power fan connector.

    >I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?

    "De Oppresso Liber"
    From Oppression Liberate

    jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
    ****only thing easy in life is failure****
    *******so get tough*******

    Gordon Scott wrote:
    > I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?

    What model Enermax and motherboard do u have?

    I have an Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550 Watts and ASUS Probe and Everest
    show the fan's rpm.

    NBK

    rpm monitor requires 2 leads only...the vre pin is not available
    because the psu powers it's own fan(s)...

    NBK wrote:

    > Gordon Scott wrote:
    > > I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?
    >
    > What model Enermax and motherboard do u have?
    >
    > I have an Enermax EG651P-VE FMA 550 Watts and ASUS Probe and Everest
    > show the fan's rpm.
    >
    > NBK

    I have a EG465P-VE-FCA

    timmy wrote:

    > rpm monitor requires 2 leads only...the vre pin is not available
    > because the psu powers it's own fan(s)...
    >
    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:20:04 GMT, Gordon Scott
    > <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?

    So what exactly are you saying? whats a vre?

    voltage! If there are 2 pins, it's more likely for rpm monitor only,
    but it should be labeled in any case...

    What exatly is the problem? It sounds to me like your not reading the
    rpm data for psu...In this case, you would need to disconnect the
    chassis fan header(front) or the case fan heade(rear)r. You cannot
    read 3, only 2 headers at once, plus cpu...
    Regards,

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:18:35 GMT, Gordon Scott

    In article <42F6508A.95E44E3E@shaw.ca>, Gordon Scott
    <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:

    > timmy wrote:
    > >
    > > rpm monitor requires 2 leads only...the vre pin is not available
    > > because the psu powers it's own fan(s)...
    > >
    > > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:20:04 GMT, Gordon Scott
    > > <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm going nutz trying to figger out why they dont use 3 pin fan control?
    >
    > So what exactly are you saying? whats a vre?

    A power supply that supports PSU fan speed monitoring, typically
    has a two wire cable (Tacho signal and GND) going to a three
    pin connector. The missing wire is +12V, and the wire is missing
    because the cable is only intended for monitoring and nothing
    else.

    An Asus tachometer implementation, has a lower limit on the
    RPMs it can measure. One of my motherboards will read 1801 RPM
    as 1801, but at 1799RPM, the interface reads zero RPMs. If the
    Enermax fan is particularly slow, it could be reading zero for
    you as well.

    The reason for this lower RPM limit, has to do with the
    measurement method. Some of the hardware monitors measure the
    period between pulses from the fan tacho wire, and the internal
    timebase counter has a limit as to how high it can count internal
    time pulses. In a perfect world, the software would choose a
    different scaler setting, bringing the lower RPM fan back into
    measurement range - I'm not sure what the lower limit really is,
    as most of the datasheets are written to be as incomprehensible
    as possible.

    You might try a different monitoring program, like maybe
    Speedfan, on the chance that they do a better job of
    programming the monitoring hardware. Maybe, due to multiple
    softwares using this hardware, they are not allowed to change
    how the BIOS has set up the chip ? There is little documentation
    by the authors of such programs, as to how they set up the
    hardware. You'll have to experiment with the different programs,
    like Asus Probe, MBM5, Speedfan etc., to find one that works.

    Paul

    timmy wrote:

    > voltage! If there are 2 pins, it's more likely for rpm monitor only,
    > but it should be labeled in any case...
    >
    > What exatly is the problem? It sounds to me like your not reading the
    > rpm data for psu...In this case, you would need to disconnect the
    > chassis fan header(front) or the case fan heade(rear)r. You cannot
    > read 3, only 2 headers at once, plus cpu...
    > Regards,
    >
    > On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:18:35 GMT, Gordon Scott
    > <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >timmy wrote:
    > >>
    > >> rpm monitor requires 2 leads only...the vre pin is not available
    > >> because the psu powers it's own fan(s)...

    > >So what exactly are you saying? whats a vre?

    really, only 2 at a time, I wonder why?
    So maybe I'll use the chassis fan header for the power supply fan, and
    plug the chassis fan into the pwr_fan hdr.

    Gordon

Asus Fan Enermax Fan Controller Motherboards