Barton Vs Sempron

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 6, 2005 10:57:32 PM

I take it that the Sempron is the poor cousin and that the barton is the
more heavyweight of the 2..

Anyone care to comment ?

Thanks

DB :)

More about : barton sempron

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2005 6:48:37 AM

DB wrote:

" I take it that the Sempron is the poor cousin and that the barton is
the more heavyweight of the 2.. Anyone care to comment ? "

The socket A Sempron 3000+ *is* a Barton.

Perhaps you'd like to compare the Sempron to other AMD processors.
http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2005 6:48:38 AM

I think Dave meant to say Sempron and Athlon XP.

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
news:D d3p9m$6vg$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> DB wrote:
>
> " I take it that the Sempron is the poor cousin and that the barton is
> the more heavyweight of the 2.. Anyone care to comment ? "
>

> The socket A Sempron 3000+ *is* a Barton.
>
> Perhaps you'd like to compare the Sempron to other AMD processors.
> http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 7, 2005 1:44:20 PM

er.......yes.......my lack of knowledge shows thru again...

i'm still learning,lol

DB :)

"RonK" <imhere@home.now> wrote in message
>I think Dave meant to say Sempron and Athlon XP.
>
> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> news:D d3p9m$6vg$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>> DB wrote:
>>
>> " I take it that the Sempron is the poor cousin and that the barton is
>> the more heavyweight of the 2.. Anyone care to comment ? "
>>

>> The socket A Sempron 3000+ *is* a Barton.
>>
>> Perhaps you'd like to compare the Sempron to other AMD processors.
>> http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2005 3:05:47 PM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 02:48:37 +0100, Cuzman <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

>DB wrote:
>
>" I take it that the Sempron is the poor cousin and that the barton is
>the more heavyweight of the 2.. Anyone care to comment ? "
>

>The socket A Sempron 3000+ *is* a Barton.
I don't think so it a socket 745 or something... Semptron with some 64
bits instructions but not as much like the xp64 does.

>Perhaps you'd like to compare the Sempron to other AMD processors.
>http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html
What was the n/o of he's CPU?
This was taken from the astra32 program.

here's what looks like a Barton xp2600 And all of it's instructions.

Would you mind sending the info of the semptron and somebody else the
info of the xp64 939 Venice core.

CPU Info
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Coprocessor: Internal
CPU Clock: 1921.1 MHz
Level 1 Cache: 64+64 kB (data+instr.)
Level 2 Cache: 512 kB
System Bus Clock: 334.1 MHz
FSB Clock: 167.1 MHz DDR
Multiplier: 11.5
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Processor Name: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
Processor Type: Original OEM Processor
CPUID: Family: 6, Model: 10, Stepping: 0
CPU Signature: 000007A0h
Brand ID: Not Supported
Logical CPU Count: HTT Not Supported
Max CPUID Level: 1
Max ExtCPUID Level: 80000008h
Code Name: Barton, Model 10 (0.13mk)
Core Stepping: A2
MSR C0010015h: 00000000h:01011008h
MSR C001001Bh: 00000000h:20031223h
Instruction Set
Floating-Point Unit On-Chip: [X]
IA MMX Technology: [X]
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE): [X]
Streaming SIMD Ext. - 2 (SSE-2): [ ]
Streaming SIMD Ext. - 3 (SSE-3): [ ]
Intel Extended Memory 64 Tech.: [ ]
Intel Architecture - 64 (IA-64): [ ]
AMD MMX Instruction Extensions: [X]
AMD 3DNow! Instructions: [X]
AMD 3DNow! Extensions: [X]
AMD x86-64 Long Mode: [ ]
Cyrix Extended MMX: [ ]
CMPXCHG8 Instruction Supported: [X]
CMPXCHG16 Instruction Supported: [ ]
Fast System Call: [X]
Conditional Move Instruction: [X]
CLFLUSH Insruction Supported: [ ]
Fast Save and Restore: [X]
Monitor/MWAIT: [ ]
SYSCALL/SYSRET Instructions: [X]
LAHF/SAHF Instructions: [ ]
AMD Fast Save and Restore: [ ]
Processor Features
Virtual Mode Extension: [X]
Debugging Extension: [X]
Page Size Extension: [X]
Time Stamp Counter: [X]
Model Specific Registers: [X]
Physical Address Extension: [X]
Machine Check Exception: [X]
On-chip APIC Hardware Supported: [X]
Memory Type Range Registers: [X]
Page Global Enable: [X]
Machine Check Architecture: [X]
Page Attribute Table: [X]
36-bit Page Size Extension: [X]
Processor Serial Number: [ ]
Debug Store: [ ]
Self-Snoop: [ ]
Hyper-Threading Technology: [ ]
Pending Break Enable: [ ]
CPL-Qualified Debug Stor: [ ]
Context ID: [ ]
Send Task Priority Messages: [ ]
AMD No-execute Page Protection: [ ]
AMD Model-Specific Registers: [X]
AMD Multiprocessing Capable: [ ]
Power Management
ACPI Supported: [ ]
Thermal Monitor Supported: [ ]
Thermal Monitor 2: [ ]
Enhanced SpeedStep Technology: [ ]
AMD Temperature Sensor: [X]
AMD Frequency ID Control: [ ]
AMD Voltage ID Control: [ ]
AMD Thermal Trip: [ ]
AMD Thermal Monitoring: [ ]
AMD Software Thermal Control: [ ]

Thank you
August 11, 2005 1:16:37 AM

Thank you for the info....sorry for taking a while to reply....

Im a bit confused......which is faster/better....

athlon xp 3000............athlon sempron 3000

thanks for any info

Dave :)

"DDC" <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>Perhaps you'd like to compare the Sempron to other AMD processors.
>>http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html
> What was the n/o of he's CPU?
> This was taken from the astra32 program.
>

> here's what looks like a Barton xp2600 And all of it's instructions.
>
> Would you mind sending the info of the semptron and somebody else the
> info of the xp64 939 Venice core.
>
> CPU Info
> Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
> Coprocessor: Internal
> CPU Clock: 1921.1 MHz
> Level 1 Cache: 64+64 kB (data+instr.)
> Level 2 Cache: 512 kB
> System Bus Clock: 334.1 MHz
> FSB Clock: 167.1 MHz DDR
> Multiplier: 11.5
> Vendor: AuthenticAMD
> Processor Name: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
> Processor Type: Original OEM Processor
> CPUID: Family: 6, Model: 10, Stepping: 0

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2005 2:51:43 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:16:37 GMT, "DB"
<db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Thank you for the info....sorry for taking a while to reply....
>
>Im a bit confused......which is faster/better....
>
>athlon xp 3000............athlon sempron 3000
>

>thanks for any info
>
>Dave :)

I don't know witch one is faster but i've been told that the semptron
is the replacement of the duron cpu witch it's fsb run at 100/200 and
133/266 of the fastest.

Also it depend on what motherboard you want this cpu the xp is for the
socket A and the semptron 2800 and + is for the socket 743 <-- a other
kind of board.

So if you don't change your motherboard i would get the 3200xp 400fsb
or a 3200xp 333fsb. an xp3200 400fsb cost around 220$ can. And it can
last for a long time if you don't plan to get windows xp 64bits.
August 12, 2005 7:59:51 PM

thanks for the info DDC...

Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....

Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want the
rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,

Thanks

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:16:37 GMT, "DB"
> <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Thank you for the info....sorry for taking a while to reply....
>>
>>Im a bit confused......which is faster/better....
>>
>>athlon xp 3000............athlon sempron 3000
>>

>>thanks for any info
>>
>>Dave :)
>>
> I don't know witch one is faster but i've been told that the semptron
> is the replacement of the duron cpu witch it's fsb run at 100/200 and
> 133/266 of the fastest.
>
> Also it depend on what motherboard you want this cpu the xp is for the
> socket A and the semptron 2800 and + is for the socket 743 <-- a other
> kind of board.
>
> So if you don't change your motherboard i would get the 3200xp 400fsb
> or a 3200xp 333fsb. an xp3200 400fsb cost around 220$ can. And it can
> last for a long time if you don't plan to get windows xp 64bits.

August 13, 2005 12:06:20 AM

I'm happy with a Barton 3000+ OEM, with 400Mhz FSB. There might be a Barton
3200+ 400Mhz, but rare!!

"DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> thanks for the info DDC...
>
> Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....
>
> Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want the
> rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave :)
>

> "DDC" <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:16:37 GMT, "DB"
>> <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for the info....sorry for taking a while to reply....
>>>
>>>Im a bit confused......which is faster/better....
>>>
>>>athlon xp 3000............athlon sempron 3000
>>>

>>>thanks for any info
>>>
>>>Dave :)
>>>
>> I don't know witch one is faster but i've been told that the semptron
>> is the replacement of the duron cpu witch it's fsb run at 100/200 and
>> 133/266 of the fastest.
>>
>> Also it depend on what motherboard you want this cpu the xp is for the
>> socket A and the semptron 2800 and + is for the socket 743 <-- a other
>> kind of board.
>>
>> So if you don't change your motherboard i would get the 3200xp 400fsb
>> or a 3200xp 333fsb. an xp3200 400fsb cost around 220$ can. And it can
>> last for a long time if you don't plan to get windows xp 64bits.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2005 2:56:32 PM

DB wrote:
> thanks for the info DDC...
>
> Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....
>
> Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want
> the rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave :)

Hi!

Wise decision.
So far I seen this 64bit ... lame, slow, complicated.

The Barton is IMO the fastest 32bit Athlon XP. Sempron is a cheap
outlet of many cheap outlets before. Barton is a small highlight.
I can remember the area were the AMD are produced as a high quality
outlet for technique (Zeiss, Praktica, Görlitz and more...)

I am still using a camera with hardware of that area. It´s made 1953.
Let´s see if the computer endure as long :-)

A A7V8 with a Barton, Thunderbird, Palomino, Thoroughbred or Duron is a
decent machine.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: The picture quality of this 1953 cam is really modern compared to
new digital cams.
August 14, 2005 10:45:13 PM

Norm...the 300 with a 400 Mhz bus, it will work on this mobo ? yes..

Dave :)

"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message news:aIbLe.340$Ji.266@lakeread02...
> I'm happy with a Barton 3000+ OEM, with 400Mhz FSB. There might be a
> Barton 3200+ 400Mhz, but rare!!
>

> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> thanks for the info DDC...
>>
>> Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....
>>
>> Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want the
>> rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave :)
>>

>> "DDC" <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>>> I don't know witch one is faster but i've been told that the semptron
>>> is the replacement of the duron cpu witch it's fsb run at 100/200 and
>>> 133/266 of the fastest.
>>>
>>> Also it depend on what motherboard you want this cpu the xp is for the
>>> socket A and the semptron 2800 and + is for the socket 743 <-- a other
>>> kind of board.
>>>
>>> So if you don't change your motherboard i would get the 3200xp 400fsb
>>> or a 3200xp 333fsb. an xp3200 400fsb cost around 220$ can. And it can
>>> last for a long time if you don't plan to get windows xp 64bits.

August 14, 2005 10:45:14 PM

Sorry...the best CPU is the barton 3000+ 333Mhx for that motherboard (my mb
is A7N8X-E Deluxe which has the 400 Mhz FSB).

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

Thats ok!! Get some good memory and good cooling and overclock the bitch!!
Push it to the max!! You going to have to upgrade some day anyway!! Just buy
parts that can be carried over to your new system.

> Norm...the 300 with a 400 Mhz bus, it will work on this mobo ? yes..
>
> Dave :)
>

> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>> I'm happy with a Barton 3000+ OEM, with 400Mhz FSB. There might be a
>> Barton 3200+ 400Mhz, but rare!!
>>

>> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> thanks for the info DDC...
>>>
>>> Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....
>>>
>>> Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want the
>>> rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave :)
>>>

>>> "DDC" <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

August 14, 2005 10:45:15 PM

On that link...just use the pull down tabs to select different
options....good tool for future builds too!!

> Sorry...the best CPU is the barton 3000+ 333Mhx for that motherboard (my
> mb is A7N8X-E Deluxe which has the 400 Mhz FSB).
>
> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...
>
> Thats ok!! Get some good memory and good cooling and overclock the bitch!!
> Push it to the max!! You going to have to upgrade some day anyway!! Just
> buy parts that can be carried over to your new system.
>
> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Norm...the 300 with a 400 Mhz bus, it will work on this mobo ? yes..
>>
>> Dave :)
>>

>> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm happy with a Barton 3000+ OEM, with 400Mhz FSB. There might be a
>>> Barton 3200+ 400Mhz, but rare!!
>>>

>>> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

August 14, 2005 10:47:32 PM

Thanks Dan.......

It looks like a Barton 3000 coming my way,

Practica eh, my first camera and it took some great photos.....the word
digital wasnt invented then...............

Cheers

Dave :)

"Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at> wrote in message
> DB wrote:
>> thanks for the info DDC...
>>
>> Im using an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo....
>>
>> Im looking for the fastest that this will take, I don't realy want
>> the rather expensive jump to 64Bit yet,
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave :)
>>

> Hi!
>

> Wise decision.
> So far I seen this 64bit ... lame, slow, complicated.
>
> The Barton is IMO the fastest 32bit Athlon XP. Sempron is a cheap
> outlet of many cheap outlets before. Barton is a small highlight.
> I can remember the area were the AMD are produced as a high quality
> outlet for technique (Zeiss, Praktica, Görlitz and more...)
>
> I am still using a camera with hardware of that area. It´s made 1953.
> Let´s see if the computer endure as long :-)
>
> A A7V8 with a Barton, Thunderbird, Palomino, Thoroughbred or Duron is a
> decent machine.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Daniel Mandic
>
> P.S.: The picture quality of this 1953 cam is really modern compared to
> new digital cams.
August 15, 2005 3:51:00 AM

Thanks Norm...Im pretty much sorted as to what to get......by this time next
week.........i should have gone from XP 1600 + with 256 meg ram upto XP 3000
+ and 1 gig memory...so i should see a little difference.

> On that link...just use the pull down tabs to select different
> options....good tool for future builds too!!
>
> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry...the best CPU is the barton 3000+ 333Mhx for that motherboard (my
>> mb is A7N8X-E Deluxe which has the 400 Mhz FSB).
>>
>> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...
>>
>> Thats ok!! Get some good memory and good cooling and overclock the
>> bitch!! Push it to the max!! You going to have to upgrade some day
>> anyway!! Just buy parts that can be carried over to your new system.
>>
>> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Norm...the 300 with a 400 Mhz bus, it will work on this mobo ? yes..
>>>
>>> Dave :)
>>>

>>> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message

August 15, 2005 3:51:01 AM

Keep that XP 1600+ may be a unlocked CPU. Possibile a good second computer.

Good Luck
Norm

> Thanks Norm...Im pretty much sorted as to what to get......by this time
> next week.........i should have gone from XP 1600 + with 256 meg ram upto
> XP 3000 + and 1 gig memory...so i should see a little difference.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave :)
>
> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>> On that link...just use the pull down tabs to select different
>> options....good tool for future builds too!!
>>
>> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry...the best CPU is the barton 3000+ 333Mhx for that motherboard (my
>>> mb is A7N8X-E Deluxe which has the 400 Mhz FSB).
>>>
>>> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...
>>>
>>> Thats ok!! Get some good memory and good cooling and overclock the
>>> bitch!! Push it to the max!! You going to have to upgrade some day
>>> anyway!! Just buy parts that can be carried over to your new system.
>>>
>>> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2005 6:44:44 PM

DB wrote:

> Thanks Dan.......
>
> It looks like a Barton 3000 coming my way,

Really a fast beast. That extended second level cache makes it
interesting for NT based systems.
256K cache is more for the virtually 32bit PC "IBM and other comapnies"
OS.
Sure, the first level Cache in the Athon series is impressing!!

It would interest me which latency the 2nd level cache of the Barton is.
Programs like CPU-Z can read that out.

> Practica eh, my first camera and it took some great photos.....the
> word digital wasnt invented then...............

You must be joking. It was about some Hz. Pipelining and more. Open
close...
Sure, not in mathematic but physically as well as today.

I mean the output stays the same...

Not to mention the quality of big format cams with many inches of
negative film.
Open Close stays digital, but the Stream......
Never possible with digital. They would have to be infinitely fast, and
I mean really infinitely. Than it would maybe possible to reach analog
quality.

> Cheers
>
> Dave :)

I wish you great fun and kind work with your expected Barton Core AMD
Athlon XP Processor.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: dont forget to cool the beast.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2005 8:06:09 PM

On 15 Aug 2005 14:44:44 GMT, "Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at>
wrote:

>DB wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dan.......
>>
>> It looks like a Barton 3000 coming my way,
>>

>Really a fast beast. That extended second level cache makes it
>interesting for NT based systems.
>256K cache is more for the virtually 32bit PC "IBM and other comapnies"
>OS.
>Sure, the first level Cache in the Athon series is impressing!!
>
>It would interest me which latency the 2nd level cache of the Barton is.
>Programs like CPU-Z can read that out.

here it is:
L2
location: on chip ratio full
size 512kbytes frequency: xp2600 is 1916
associativity 16-way bus width 64bits
line size 64bytes prefetechlogic yes

!