Dual CPU motherboards

Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
rob me?

Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?
9 answers Last reply
More about dual motherboards

    "Greysky" <greyskyat@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote in message
    > Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me
    > into buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new
    > dual cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all
    > the super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much
    > more than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a
    > new PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears
    > less stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the
    > only one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's
    > attempt to rob me?
    >
    > Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    > for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?
    Most existing PCI-e 939 motherboards already support the dual core AMD 64
    CPU's. The only thing that is required is an updated bios, and most of the
    major mb manufacturers have updated bios' available.

    However, I don't know about whether there are any AGP mb's that support AMD
    dual core (simply because I have not checked). My Asus A8N-E supports AMD
    dual core and also supports IDE drives (in addition to SATA).

    In article <3SsJe.95$dk5.53@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "Greysky"
    <greyskyat@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote:

    > Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
    > buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
    > cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
    > super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
    > than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
    > PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
    > stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
    > one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
    > rob me?
    >
    > Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    > for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?

    Look at A8V Deluxe. It is currently at revision 2. Reuses DDR memory,
    AGP video, has two PATA cables connected to the Southbridge. Closest
    combination of reusability and dual core AMD capability via K8T800Pro.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=1&name=A8V%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    (There is another Via based S939 board, with K8T890, and that one
    doesn't handle dual core - reasons unknown. The K8T800Pro apparently
    works, and that is what the cpusupport list says above.)

    As for the comment about the nature of change in the industry, it
    is a pretty transparent "fleecing" job. For example, if you look
    at the pinout of the Intel S478 socket, and the newer Intel
    S775 socket, the only difference is in the number of power and
    ground pins. As near as I can tell, there aren't any significant
    differences, or additional hardware capabilities brought about
    by the new socket. Whether a method could have been found, to
    allow more current to flow in the S478 format, is a good question.
    I don't know if Intel's processors are flip-chip, or are
    wire bonded, but I have heard of chips that use multiple wire
    bonds, to enhance current carrying capability. Maybe Intel could have
    found another way to extend S478. (I expect the S775 CPU package
    is cheaper to make, so Intel is saving a few bucks on each
    processor.)

    For AMD, S754 and S939 were needed for the addition of onboard
    memory interface. Is a built-in memory controller absolutely
    essential for the new processors ? I guess one benefit, is it
    might avoid patent issues, if AMD attempted to put a new bus
    interface on their processor. Patents are like a mine field,
    and the trick is, to innovate, without "blowing off your feet".
    Adding memory interfaces might have been their less litigious
    option. Hypertransport and the memory interfaces are all industry
    standards of sorts, and arranging licensing might be easier that
    way. I would be really interested to read the thoughts of their
    architects, as to what is guiding the design direction in
    processors these days... It would be sad if the lawyers called
    all the shots.

    Paul

    I presume that you're referring to dual-core CPUs, rather than dual CPU
    mainboards (with two discrete sockets).

    I'm not up-to-date on Intel dual-core CPUs, but I believe that none of the
    new chipsets that support them are available with an AGP slot. (PCI-Express
    graphics and DDR2 RAM are required, I imagine.)

    In the AMD world, AGP Socket 939 boards that use the Via K8T800 Pro chipset
    or the nVidia nForce 3 Ultra chipset are supposed to support the X2 CPUs. I
    have an Asus A8V Deluxe (Via chipset), and Asus has released a BIOS update
    for the X2 chips. I haven't tried one, though.

    The A64 X2 CPUs are pretty expensive, although the new X2 3800+ has been
    listed for around $400US. The 4800+ is somewhat more expensive, if you wish
    to complain about being robbed. The A64 CPUs require DDR (not DDR2) at the
    moment, so you may be able to re-use yours (assuming that it's PC3200). They
    also support dual-channel memory mode, so it would be best to have a
    matching pair.

    There's a forthcoming chipset for Socket 939
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471) that supports both
    PCI-Express and AGP graphics natively, giving full performance with both,
    but it may be a few weeks or more before products using it are available.

    You'd want to compute the full system cost to fairly compare Intel and AMD
    dual-core machines. (The AMD X2s are supposed to perform more nearly like
    dual CPU systems, though, so just comparing prices isn't really enough
    either.)

    I'd expect any board for sale at this time to include at least one IDE
    connector (in addition to SATA), because SATA optical drives are not yet
    common. My A8V has two PATA connectors, plus one more on the Promise RAID
    controller. That would support as many as 6 PATA devices. There are 2 SATA
    controllers plus 2 more on the Promise controller, good for one device each,
    for a total of 4.

    I suggest that you check the mainboard selector at www.newegg.com. Go the
    AMD compatible page, select the Socket 939 interface, and an AGP 4x/8X slot.
    You'll get quite a few choices.

    Regards,

    Bob Knowlden

    Greysky wrote:
    > Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
    > buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
    > cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
    > super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
    > than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
    > PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
    > stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
    > one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
    > rob me?
    >
    > Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    > for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?

    1.) The new slots for video cards are PCI Express, often
    abbreviated as PCI-E. PCI-X is something completely different
    from PCI-E.

    2.) Everyone is *adding* SATA controllers to their motherboards,
    but they are *not* completely dropping regular EIDE controllers.
    They might be cutting down on the number of EIDE controllers,
    but I have yet to see an ATX or EATX motherboard without at least
    two EIDE controllers. And if your new motherboard does not have
    enough EIDE controllers to suit you, you can always buy a cheap
    PCI card from Promise or HighPoint that will add two or four more
    EIDE ports. You can also buy adapters that let you connect your
    EIDE hard drives to SATA ports, although most of those adapters
    do not work with optical drives.

    3.) There are many dual Xeon and dual Opteron motherboards with
    AGP slots. Seek and ye shall find. However, you will not be
    able to use unregistered DDR with those boards.

    4.) Their is not and never will be a dual socket 939
    motherboard. If you want two AMD64 chips you will have to get a
    dual Socket 940 motherboard.

    5.) Why not get a socket 939 motherboard and put a dual-core
    Athlon64 in that socket ? You get all of the benefits of having
    two single core processors, and AMD's dual-core chips also
    consume the same amount of power as a single core chip at the
    same clock speed. This will also allow you to reuse your
    current DDR. You can also get Socket 939 motherboards that have
    slots for both AGP and PCI-E: re-use your AGP card for now and
    still have the capability to upgrade later.

    Mark A wrote:
    > "Greysky" <greyskyat@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me
    >>into buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new
    >>dual cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all
    >>the super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much
    >>more than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a
    >>new PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears
    >>less stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the
    >>only one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's
    >>attempt to rob me?
    >>
    >>Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    >>for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?
    >
    > Most existing PCI-e 939 motherboards already support the dual core AMD 64
    > CPU's. The only thing that is required is an updated bios, and most of the
    > major mb manufacturers have updated bios' available.
    >
    > However, I don't know about whether there are any AGP mb's that support AMD
    > dual core (simply because I have not checked).

    Some do - but with a BIOS upgrade. Even within a specific model
    some do and some don't - such as the Tyan S2885.

    Regardless of what AMD64 motherboard you get, if using dual-core
    chips is important to you then make sure you investigate
    thoroughly before you buy. If a BIOS upgrade is necessary, get
    the vendor to do it before they ship the board:
    1.) If the current BIOS does not support dual-core, then you
    need to use a single-core CPU while flashing the dual-core BIOS
    upgrade. No big deal if you already have a single-core CPU on
    hand that you can use for this purpose, but many people don't and
    find themselves in a bit of a quandary after buying their new
    motherboard and dual-core CPU.
    2.) If the vendor botches a BIOS flash it is on them. If you
    botch it, it can be expensive and time-consuming to fix.

    Greysky wrote:

    > Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
    > buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
    > cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
    > super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
    > than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
    > PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
    > stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
    > one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
    > rob me?
    >
    > Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    > for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?

    If you remain thinking Intel is an option, then you will remain
    disturbed.

    In article <42F7D736.E38798F0@shaw.ca>, gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca says...
    > Greysky wrote:
    > >
    > > Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
    > > buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
    > > cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
    > > super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
    > > than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
    > > PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
    > > stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
    > > one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
    > > rob me?
    > >
    > > Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    > > for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?
    >
    > If you remain thinking Intel is an option, then you will remain
    > disturbed.

    Why not just get a ASUS Xeon Dual NCCH-DL i875 800fsb.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <42F7D736.E38798F0@shaw.ca>, gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca says...
    >
    >>Greysky wrote:
    >>
    >>>Am I the only one who seems disturbed by industry's attempt to steer me into
    >>>buying all new parts? I want to upgrade my computer to one of the new dual
    >>>cpu types, either from Intel or AMD. However in order to buy into all the
    >>>super hype surrounding these new uber-boards, I will have to get much more
    >>>than a cpu. For Intel, I will also need to get new DDR2 memory and a new
    >>>PCIx video card, as well as change to SATA hard drives. AMD appears less
    >>>stringent as I can still get away with using my old memory. Am I the only
    >>>one that appears to be um, 'upset', by the computer industry's attempt to
    >>>rob me?
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone make a dual (socket 775 or 939) cpu motherboard that has AGP
    >>>for video, and uses regular old-fashioned hard drive controllers?
    >>
    >>If you remain thinking Intel is an option, then you will remain
    >>disturbed.
    >

    > Why not just get a ASUS Xeon Dual NCCH-DL i875 800fsb.

    1.) No EMT64 CPUs to use with that chipset.
    2.) No dual-core CPUs to use with that chipset.
    3.) Two 3.6 GHz Xeon Noconas will use almost three times as much
    power as a single 2.4 GHz AMD64 - and be beaten in just about
    everything by the AMD64. And more power ==> more heat ==> more
    noise.

    The OP also needs to clarify whether he really wants/needs a
    dual-socket motherboard or whether he would be satisfied with
    just one dual-core CPU.

    In article <ntUJe.150095$%K2.89147@pd7tw1no>, rob.stow@shaw.ca says...
    > Leythos wrote:

    > >>If you remain thinking Intel is an option, then you will remain
    > >>disturbed.
    > >

    > > Why not just get a ASUS Xeon Dual NCCH-DL i875 800fsb.
    > >

    > 1.) No EMT64 CPUs to use with that chipset.
    > 2.) No dual-core CPUs to use with that chipset.
    > 3.) Two 3.6 GHz Xeon Noconas will use almost three times as much
    > power as a single 2.4 GHz AMD64 - and be beaten in just about
    > everything by the AMD64. And more power ==> more heat ==> more
    > noise.

    Whiel you may really like the AMD system, I've made a living designing
    business networks and never had a serious issue with any Intel CPU or
    Intel based server / workstation we've spec'd. I have seen numerous
    problems with shops that have installed AMD based systems - and to be
    completely fair, it wasn't the AMD CPU that was the problem, it was the
    chipset or the motherboard in general, the AMD CPU was fine. So, when I
    consider stability, life, ease of support, and such, I design around the
    Intel CPU line. Power is not a concern, as a simple 550W PSU will run a
    Dual Xeon system fine (with a complement of RAID arrays) and is also
    needed for the AMD systems.

    While Dual Core appears to be very nice, I've not seen where the
    Microsoft OS's have yet come out to take 100% advantage of the chip
    structure change. It's important to note that Windows 2003 does make
    full use of Dual CPU's and with great efficiency, but I've not see any
    updates come out that specifically mention Dual-Core.

    > The OP also needs to clarify whether he really wants/needs a
    > dual-socket motherboard or whether he would be satisfied with
    > just one dual-core CPU.

    I agree, it would be nice if people posted exactly what they want
    instead of leaving us guessing about half the details.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

Asus CPUs Motherboards