Problems using USB storage device

Hi there,

Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using Disk
Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to move
everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is currently
nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected, but
the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
(code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
problem so that my USB HD is usable again?

The only other difference I can think of on my computer
is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope someone
can help me out.

Thanks

USB device does not function after connecting device to Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893&Product=windowsxpsp2

When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873169&Product=windowsxpsp2

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Pacia" wrote:

| Hi there,
|
| Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
| for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using Disk
| Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
| and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to move
| everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
| that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is currently
| nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected, but
| the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
| (code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
| problem so that my USB HD is usable again?
|
| The only other difference I can think of on my computer
| is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
| Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope someone
| can help me out.
|
| Thanks

Hi there,

thanks for the reply..unfortunately, none of those
articles solved my problem. Every time I plug my USB
Mass Storage Device into my computer (it also has its own
ac adaptor) and rescan hardware in device manager,
(doesn't even use the plug and play method) there is a
yellow symbol with an exclamation mark in it. And the
error seems to be that in the status box in the
properties of my USB device, "The device cannot start.
(Code 10)"

Is it possible that it is the case that's the problem?

i don't know.

anywho..thanks for the help

us;310575&Product=winxp

>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>
>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.
aspx

------------

>"Pacia" wrote:
>
>| Hi there,
>|
>| Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
>| for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using
Disk
>| Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
>| and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to
move
>| everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
>| that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is
currently
>| nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected,
but
>| the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
>| (code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
>| problem so that my USB HD is usable again?
>|
>| The only other difference I can think of on my
computer
>| is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
>| Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope
someone
>| can help me out.
>|
>| Thanks
>.

I assume you get the same problems if the enclosure is connected to another
machine. If not that should be the first thing to try. Obviously if the
drive functions corectly on another machine the problem then resides in your
machine and not the drive.

Have you confirmed the jumpers on the drive are set correctly? I think I am
right to say there shouldn't be any jumpers on the drive when mounted in the
enclosure, at least that is the way mine is.

As you have tried reinstalling the USB drivers then I would turn my
attention to the HDD. If it is a 3.5" HDD (standard size, not laptop) I
would take it out of the enclosure and try mounting it into a desktop. That
at least will confirm whether the drive itself is healthy.