Problems using USB storage device

Hi there,

Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using Disk
Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to move
everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is currently
nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected, but
the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
(code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
problem so that my USB HD is usable again?

The only other difference I can think of on my computer
is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope someone
can help me out.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about problems storage device

    USB device does not function after connecting device to Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893&Product=windowsxpsp2

    When you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873169&Product=windowsxpsp2

    General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Pacia" wrote:

    | Hi there,
    |
    | Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
    | for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using Disk
    | Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
    | and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to move
    | everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
    | that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is currently
    | nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected, but
    | the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
    | (code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
    | problem so that my USB HD is usable again?
    |
    | The only other difference I can think of on my computer
    | is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
    | Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope someone
    | can help me out.
    |
    | Thanks

    Hi there,

    thanks for the reply..unfortunately, none of those
    articles solved my problem. Every time I plug my USB
    Mass Storage Device into my computer (it also has its own
    ac adaptor) and rescan hardware in device manager,
    (doesn't even use the plug and play method) there is a
    yellow symbol with an exclamation mark in it. And the
    error seems to be that in the status box in the
    properties of my USB device, "The device cannot start.
    (Code 10)"

    Is it possible that it is the case that's the problem?

    i don't know.

    anywho..thanks for the help

    us;310575&Product=winxp

    >--
    >Carey Frisch
    >Microsoft MVP
    >Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    >Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.
    aspx

    ------------

    >"Pacia" wrote:
    >
    >| Hi there,
    >|
    >| Just a while ago, I had just bought an USB external HD
    >| for my pc. I had it formatted and partitioned using
    Disk
    >| Management, and I could put my files on it, disconnect
    >| and reconnect with no problems. However, I had to
    move
    >| everything to my new house, and for some reason, after
    >| that, I cannot seem to use my USB HD. There is
    currently
    >| nothing on it, and when I plug it in, it is detected,
    but
    >| the status of the HD is always "Error, cannot start up
    >| (code 10)". Does anyone know how I can resolve this
    >| problem so that my USB HD is usable again?
    >|
    >| The only other difference I can think of on my
    computer
    >| is that I d.led and installed the Windows Service
    >| Pack..but i doubt that that is the problem. Hope
    someone
    >| can help me out.
    >|
    >| Thanks
    >.

    I assume you get the same problems if the enclosure is connected to another
    machine. If not that should be the first thing to try. Obviously if the
    drive functions corectly on another machine the problem then resides in your
    machine and not the drive.

    Have you confirmed the jumpers on the drive are set correctly? I think I am
    right to say there shouldn't be any jumpers on the drive when mounted in the
    enclosure, at least that is the way mine is.

    As you have tried reinstalling the USB drivers then I would turn my
    attention to the HDD. If it is a 3.5" HDD (standard size, not laptop) I
    would take it out of the enclosure and try mounting it into a desktop. That
    at least will confirm whether the drive itself is healthy.

USB HD Windows XP