A7V333 USB 2.0 Problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

I have had an A7V333 for a few years now. For the first time since I got it,
I have a USB 2.0 device. I plugged it in and installed it, and Windows (XP
Professional SP2) popped up a message saying that the device would be faster
if it was in a port that supported it; in other words suggesting that this
was not a USB 2.0 port (but it definitely is). I got out the ASUS manual and
found there's a USB_EN jumper, but this was already enabled. I then thought
that perhaps it is because I need drivers. I tried the drivers that came on
the CD, but this stopped the ports working altogether, probably because they
were pre-SP1. I tried drivers from the ASUS site, but no luck, and also from
the VIA site. I now have driver v2.52 I think (which I found on ASUS's FTP
service in the A7V333 folder). This seems to work the best; I now have "USB
2.0 Root Hub" and "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" in the Device Manager,
yet I still get the same popup when I plug the device into a USB 2.0 port,
so apart from the entries I now have, I'm no better off!

I've had a good search of Google Groups today and found many many similar
problems, but these are usually before SP1 was available. Nonetheless, I've
tried almost everything I can find to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about a7v333 problems

    Not all the USB connections of this board are USB-2,0, some of them are
    common USB-1.
    Have a loock on the manual and you'll see where is the connector on the
    mobo, that provides high speed USB.

    "John" <nospam@please.com> escribió en el mensaje
    >I have had an A7V333 for a few years now. For the first time since I got
    >it, I have a USB 2.0 device. I plugged it in and installed it, and Windows
    >(XP Professional SP2) popped up a message saying that the device would be
    >faster if it was in a port that supported it; in other words suggesting
    >that this was not a USB 2.0 port (but it definitely is). I got out the ASUS
    >manual and found there's a USB_EN jumper, but this was already enabled. I
    >then thought that perhaps it is because I need drivers. I tried the drivers
    >that came on the CD, but this stopped the ports working altogether,
    >probably because they were pre-SP1. I tried drivers from the ASUS site, but
    >no luck, and also from the VIA site. I now have driver v2.52 I think (which
    >I found on ASUS's FTP service in the A7V333 folder). This seems to work the
    >best; I now have "USB 2.0 Root Hub" and "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller"
    >in the Device Manager, yet I still get the same popup when I plug the
    >device into a USB 2.0 port, so apart from the entries I now have, I'm no
    >better off!
    >
    > I've had a good search of Google Groups today and found many many similar
    > problems, but these are usually before SP1 was available. Nonetheless,
    > I've tried almost everything I can find to no avail.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:49:16 +0200, "Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> managed to one
    finger type the following:

    I have a Asus A7V333 with additional USB 2.0 and 1.1 Headers...but for the
    normal board on the back..the top two ports are USB 1.1 and below them are the
    2.0 Ports....XP SP2 has support for 2.0...but you will need to make sure you
    have the lastest VIA 4 in 1 Drivers.

    >Not all the USB connections of this board are USB-2,0, some of them are
    >common USB-1.
    >Have a loock on the manual and you'll see where is the connector on the
    >mobo, that provides high speed USB.
    >
    >"John" <nospam@please.com> escribió en el mensaje
    >>I have had an A7V333 for a few years now. For the first time since I got
    >>it, I have a USB 2.0 device. I plugged it in and installed it, and Windows
    >>(XP Professional SP2) popped up a message saying that the device would be
    >>faster if it was in a port that supported it; in other words suggesting
    >>that this was not a USB 2.0 port (but it definitely is). I got out the ASUS
    >>manual and found there's a USB_EN jumper, but this was already enabled. I
    >>then thought that perhaps it is because I need drivers. I tried the drivers
    >>that came on the CD, but this stopped the ports working altogether,
    >>probably because they were pre-SP1. I tried drivers from the ASUS site, but
    >>no luck, and also from the VIA site. I now have driver v2.52 I think (which
    >>I found on ASUS's FTP service in the A7V333 folder). This seems to work the
    >>best; I now have "USB 2.0 Root Hub" and "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller"
    >>in the Device Manager, yet I still get the same popup when I plug the
    >>device into a USB 2.0 port, so apart from the entries I now have, I'm no
    >>better off!
    >>
    >> I've had a good search of Google Groups today and found many many similar
    >> problems, but these are usually before SP1 was available. Nonetheless,
    >> I've tried almost everything I can find to no avail.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance.

    "De Oppresso Liber"
    From Oppression Liberate

    jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
    ****only thing easy in life is failure****
    *******so get tough*******

    "Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> wrote in message
    > Not all the USB connections of this board are USB-2,0, some of them are
    > common USB-1.
    > Have a loock on the manual and you'll see where is the connector on the
    > mobo, that provides high speed USB.

    Thanks, but I'm definitely plugging into the USB 2.0 ports!

    "jroc" <jroc@special-forces.mil> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:49:16 +0200, "Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> managed
    > to one
    > finger type the following:
    >
    > I have a Asus A7V333 with additional USB 2.0 and 1.1 Headers...but for the
    > normal board on the back..the top two ports are USB 1.1 and below them are
    > the
    > 2.0 Ports....XP SP2 has support for 2.0...but you will need to make sure
    > you
    > have the lastest VIA 4 in 1 Drivers.

    I've got the 4 in 1 drivers installed too.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

    Can anyone help? :-(
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

    In article <42fb2855$0$12892$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, "John"
    <nospam@please.com> wrote:

    > Can anyone help? :-(

    Sure. Have you considered the possibility that you should
    not have installed any driver from the support CD, and
    instead relied on the driver support in SP1/SP2 ? Some
    of these driver options are time dependent, and as time
    marches on, the separate drivers become unnecessary, and
    in certain cases, they can even break things.

    USB and Firewire are supposed to be build into the Windows
    OSes now, so separate drivers should not be required. In
    the older OSes, support varied, and in extreme cases, only
    an Orangeware driver could make it work.

    Here is one recipe you could try. If you had USB printers,
    scanners, and other exotic devices that had separate
    driver installs, you may have quite a cleanup to do after
    trying this:

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    If you have a spare hard drive, you could do a clean Windows
    install and then move up to SP2, and see how your USB2 support
    looks. You could also try a repair install, but in both cases,
    I suppose you'll have a bunch of Windows Updating to do -
    that would certainly dampen my enthusiasm for this as a
    solution.

    Paul
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

    > Sure. Have you considered the possibility that you should
    > not have installed any driver from the support CD, and
    > instead relied on the driver support in SP1/SP2 ?

    Have you read my original post? If so, you will have realised that USB2.0
    has never worked (i.e. prior to messing around with Via drivers).

    > Here is one recipe you could try. If you had USB printers,
    > scanners, and other exotic devices that had separate
    > driver installs, you may have quite a cleanup to do after
    > trying this:
    >
    > http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    Didn't work. Thanks anyway.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

    John wrote:

    > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Sure. Have you considered the possibility that you should
    >>not have installed any driver from the support CD, and
    >>instead relied on the driver support in SP1/SP2 ?
    >
    > Have you read my original post?

    Yes.

    > If so, you will have realised that USB2.0
    > has never worked (i.e. prior to messing around with Via drivers).

    Did you have any USB 1.x devices before this one?
    Did you get a new 'USB 2.x cable' to go with your new USB 2.x device or
    are you reusing your previous ones?
    Just so you are sure that it isn't your cable that, so to speak, breakes
    the chain.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    In article <430d0506$0$347$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, "John"
    <nospam@please.com> wrote:

    > > Sure. Have you considered the possibility that you should
    > > not have installed any driver from the support CD, and
    > > instead relied on the driver support in SP1/SP2 ?
    >
    > Have you read my original post? If so, you will have realised that USB2.0
    > has never worked (i.e. prior to messing around with Via drivers).
    >
    > > Here is one recipe you could try. If you had USB printers,
    > > scanners, and other exotic devices that had separate
    > > driver installs, you may have quite a cleanup to do after
    > > trying this:
    > >
    > > http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm
    >
    > Didn't work. Thanks anyway.

    There is an interesting tidbit here. I was looking at a VIA driver
    from here (ftp://ftp.abitshop.com/pub/driver2/via_usb/v258.zip 20MB!)
    and noticed it has some filter drivers. One file was VULFNTR.SYS
    (The filter drivers are also in the version you tried, so only download
    that file if you want to try installing a file later than the one
    you've got. The checksum of the two files is different than the ones in
    v252, but that might not mean anything.)

    I ran that filename through Google, to see if anyone had comments.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.sys.hp.misc/browse_frm/thread/f4c84b5a8db942d7/c6f1cbc7af4c8786

    The guy who does USB support over here, doesn't like the VT6202 at all :-)

    http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3979&highlight=vt6202
    http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2466&highlight=vt6202

    One post I read, had a user experiencing problems only on two
    of the four ports on the VT6202. You might compare the performance
    of all four ports, to see if they behave the same way.

    Paul

Asus USB Motherboards