Wireless Network - XP Home - Permissions Issue

Hiya guys, having a bit of a problem as you could guess... I'm running one
desktop computer and a notebook both running XP Home. I've gotten file,
printer and internet sharing working. Printer and Internet sharing has been
flawless. File sharing is another story. I can see my computers and they can
access each other, the problem is in the permissions. When I try to setup the
hard drive in the Security tab to allow users from my other computer, I get
stopped at selecting the location. I go into Properties, then Security tab. I
click Add, and get to the Select Users or Groups dialogue. When I try to
change the location from my notebook to the desktop, I ONLY see the location
Notebook. If I can figure out how to add my desktop to this list I'm sure I'd
be fine, but maybe not. Anyway, I'm tired and need rest! Please help me out!
Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless network home permissions issue

    Hi Anzy, since you don't seem to have a domain you can't actually add a user
    from one computer to security permissions on the other. But, you can add
    the NETWORK user(if you select advanced and find now on the Select Users or
    Groups dialogue the network user will be in the generated list) and that
    will allow any user in your current subnet to have the permissions you set
    for the network user.

    Good luck, hope this helps..
    AC
    "Anzy" <Anzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hiya guys, having a bit of a problem as you could guess... I'm running one
    > desktop computer and a notebook both running XP Home. I've gotten file,
    > printer and internet sharing working. Printer and Internet sharing has
    been
    > flawless. File sharing is another story. I can see my computers and they
    can
    > access each other, the problem is in the permissions. When I try to setup
    the
    > hard drive in the Security tab to allow users from my other computer, I
    get
    > stopped at selecting the location. I go into Properties, then Security
    tab. I
    > click Add, and get to the Select Users or Groups dialogue. When I try to
    > change the location from my notebook to the desktop, I ONLY see the
    location
    > Notebook. If I can figure out how to add my desktop to this list I'm sure
    I'd
    > be fine, but maybe not. Anyway, I'm tired and need rest! Please help me
    out!
    > Thanks!

    Thanks AC! I wasn't sure, but I did just do that... I could not find the
    exact username but I did see network and allowing the network full control
    solved this problem. The only thing though... isn't there a way to allow my
    other computer to have full control over my computer without having to
    constantly set the permissions for each file? After I set the permission it
    lets me in, but then I have the same problem with the next file! Very VERY
    annoying and it would take me forever to allow all files... Thanks!

    "AC" wrote:

    > Hi Anzy, since you don't seem to have a domain you can't actually add a user
    > from one computer to security permissions on the other. But, you can add
    > the NETWORK user(if you select advanced and find now on the Select Users or
    > Groups dialogue the network user will be in the generated list) and that
    > will allow any user in your current subnet to have the permissions you set
    > for the network user.
    >
    > Good luck, hope this helps..
    > AC
    > "Anzy" <Anzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hiya guys, having a bit of a problem as you could guess... I'm running one
    > > desktop computer and a notebook both running XP Home. I've gotten file,
    > > printer and internet sharing working. Printer and Internet sharing has
    > been
    > > flawless. File sharing is another story. I can see my computers and they
    > can
    > > access each other, the problem is in the permissions. When I try to setup
    > the
    > > hard drive in the Security tab to allow users from my other computer, I
    > get
    > > stopped at selecting the location. I go into Properties, then Security
    > tab. I
    > > click Add, and get to the Select Users or Groups dialogue. When I try to
    > > change the location from my notebook to the desktop, I ONLY see the
    > location
    > > Notebook. If I can figure out how to add my desktop to this list I'm sure
    > I'd
    > > be fine, but maybe not. Anyway, I'm tired and need rest! Please help me
    > out!
    > > Thanks!

Wireless Network Windows XP Wireless Networking