The maximum size of HDD XP supports?

I've been trying to find out what is the maximum size of
HDD space that XP supports? Or in fact, does it have any
limits at all?

I thought it was 4 terabytes but I can't prove it.

Does anyone know?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:21:36 -0700, "Mano"

>I've been trying to find out what is the maximum size of
>HDD space that XP supports? Or in fact, does it have any
>limits at all?
>
>I thought it was 4 terabytes but I can't prove it.
>
>Does anyone know?

Without using dynamic drives, 2 TB. With dynamic drives, just under 256
TB. See the following,
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

bar

Maximum Sizes on NTFS Volumes
In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264 clusters minus 1 cluster.
However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP
Professional is 232 clusters minus 1 cluster. For example, using 64-KB
clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 terabytes minus 64 KB. Using
the default cluster size of 4 KB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16
terabytes minus 4 KB.

Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support
partition sizes up to 2 terabytes, you must use dynamic volumes to create
NTFS volumes over 2 terabytes. Windows XP Professional manages dynamic
volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic
volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the
partition table. Therefore, dynamic NTFS volumes can be as large as the
maximum volume size supported by NTFS. Itanium-based computers that use GUID
partition table (GPT) disks also support NTFS volumes larger than 2 terabytes.

"Michael Cecil" wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:21:36 -0700, "Mano"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to find out what is the maximum size of
> >HDD space that XP supports? Or in fact, does it have any
> >limits at all?
> >
> >I thought it was 4 terabytes but I can't prove it.
> >
> >Does anyone know?
>
> Without using dynamic drives, 2 TB. With dynamic drives, just under 256
> TB. See the following,
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

If anyone uses plain-text reader, keep in mind it cannot reproduce neither
sub- nor superscript pasted from HTML-page. This is 2^64 and 2^32 indeed.