p5wd2 premium cpu lock free problem

p5wd2 premiun, pentium 840, 0422 bios
cannot get the clock multiplier to 14
with cpu lock free enanled, or any other setting, the clock multiplier stays
at 16.
would like to run at 14 with 1066 fsb.

any sugestions?

Paul

Splendid

In article <42f83729$0$5693$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, "times four"
<fortimesfour@hotmail.com> wrote:

> p5wd2 premiun, pentium 840, 0422 bios
> cannot get the clock multiplier to 14
> with cpu lock free enanled, or any other setting, the clock multiplier stays
> at 16.
> would like to run at 14 with 1066 fsb.
>
> any sugestions?

Is "AI Overclocking" set to [Manual] ? Try setting anything which
is currently at Auto, to Manual, as that will expose more options
in the BIOS. Is there an actual Multiplier option on the BIOS
screen ? Or does the multiplier drop automatically when the
CPU frequency is raised ?

The 14x multiplier is a "fail safe" value. On some processors, it
is used as a thermal throttling option. It is also used when a
processor with 05B power requirements, is plugged into a motherboard
with 05A Vcore regulator. Both 840 processors are 05B units.
It is possible Asus is pretending the motherboard is an 05A
motherboard, and that is how they manage to get the 14x multiplier.
It is just a question of what (combination) of BIOS controls are
necessary to get it to kick in.

When I get a new motherboard, one of the first things I do, is
set everything to [Manual] or the like. That way, you get to
see everything the BIOS has to offer.

Paul

AI Overclocking is set to Manual. Everything that has a manual option is
set to manual. Voltage settings are on auto rather than a specific voltage.
There is no multiplier shown on any bios screen. cpu-z 1.29 shows the
clock multiplier as 16. If the enhanced c1 control in the bios is changed
from disabled to auto, then cpu-z shows the clock multiplier toggling
between 16 and 14. 14 for low cpu loading. Yor insight is helpful. I'm
not familiiar with the 05a/05b terminology. I'll look into it.

Does anyone else have specific expereience with this configuration?