color ink out - how do i print in black only

Hi,

My color ink is out on my Epson Stylus Photo 830. I need urgently to
print a shed load of text documents this evening. My black ink
cartridge is brand new and full. Yet the printer won't allow me to
print in black only without a full color cartridge present.

Is there a work_around for this?

Even tho most of my documents have been text I still have to replace
the color ink when I haven't used any (specified in settings).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Idlewylde
2 answers Last reply
More about color print black only

    idlewylde wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My color ink is out on my Epson Stylus Photo 830. I need urgently to
    > print a shed load of text documents this evening. My black ink
    > cartridge is brand new and full. Yet the printer won't allow me to
    > print in black only without a full color cartridge present.
    >
    > Is there a work_around for this?
    >
    > Even tho most of my documents have been text I still have to replace
    > the color ink when I haven't used any (specified in settings).
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Idlewylde

    No. The 830 requires two usable cartridges in order to print. Any
    'workaround' may cause irreparable damage to the printhead and, as the
    printhead is integral any damage would mean that the printer would need to
    be replaced.

    If any of the refill ink vendors sell ink and empty cartridges for the ESP
    830 consider refilling the color cartridge with all black ink. Look on the
    www.mis-supply.com site for empty cartridges and refill inks. If this
    printer has "chipped" cartridges you can remove the black filled color
    cartridge and replace it with the "color" color cartridge as the chip
    monitors the cartridge usage. You would have to purge the color heads
    before printing color. Too much work? There are some inexpensive laser
    printers on the market that would be suitable for light duty printing of
    black only and you could reserve the inkjet for color printing. Of course,
    you would have to use the ink jet printer weekly or the heads will get
    clogged from lack of use. I prefer a laser printer for black text printing
    as it produces better text and is much cheaper per copy (unless you do
    refilling on the ink jet.)

    "idlewylde" <fcoles@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My color ink is out on my Epson Stylus Photo 830. I need urgently to
    > print a shed load of text documents this evening. My black ink
    > cartridge is brand new and full. Yet the printer won't allow me to
    > print in black only without a full color cartridge present.
    >
    > Is there a work_around for this?
    >
    > Even tho most of my documents have been text I still have to replace
    > the color ink when I haven't used any (specified in settings).
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Idlewylde

Printers Peripherals