A8V Deluxe memory problems

Last response: in Motherboards
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2005 1:08:59 AM

I'm sure this has been met before, and hope there is a solution around.

I have Corsair platinum memory, 2 sticks of 256Mb DDR400 that work fine
if only one of the sticks are in slot 3 ( the second blue bank ) but if
I put both in the blue banks as suggested in the manual, I get many
reboots and program kickouts randomly, but cant get anything to run more
than 10 minutes.
Memory testers say the memory is fine, temperature of cpu about 32deg,
no problems there.

Any takers, help needed, as this is a present for my son, and need to
get it runnings quick

toad
August 10, 2005 1:09:00 AM

In article <42f90d45$0$12886$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, "to@d" <to@d> wrote:

> I'm sure this has been met before, and hope there is a solution around.
>
> I have Corsair platinum memory, 2 sticks of 256Mb DDR400 that work fine
> if only one of the sticks are in slot 3 ( the second blue bank ) but if
> I put both in the blue banks as suggested in the manual, I get many
> reboots and program kickouts randomly, but cant get anything to run more
> than 10 minutes.
> Memory testers say the memory is fine, temperature of cpu about 32deg,
> no problems there.
>
> Any takers, help needed, as this is a present for my son, and need to
> get it runnings quick
>
> toad

Go here, then click the link for the product you bought.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

The PDF document might say something like:

Tested at 2 -3-3-6 settings on Intel platforms
Tested at 2.5-3-3-6 settings on AMD platforms

Chances are, you need to set CAS manually to 2.5.
There is no mechanism in the SPD EEPROM on the DIMM, to
code a CAS value for Intel and a CAS value for AMD.
Thus, the DIMM will only be correctly coded for one
platform, requiring manual intervention for the other
platform.

You might also want to tweak the Vdimm voltage supply.
You should be able to use 2.7V with just about any
DIMM. A least 2.6V is needed for DDR400 memory.

For a memory tester, use memtest86+ from memtest.org .
It makes a test floppy, and there is also an ISO CD image.
Memtest86+ tests all the memory, by lifting the executable
out of the way and testing underneath. This is much better
than your average Windows based test tool, where the
memory occupied by the OS is not tested.

Prime95 torture test (mersenne.org) is a tool you can use in
Windows. It will tell you whether the memory works properly
under load. While not all the memory gets tested, it is better
than no test at all. No errors are acceptable.

Other resources on the Corsair site:

Configurator - supposed to tell you what memory works with A8V
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_searc...

Corsair forum - use the search in the menu bar, try "A8V"
Or post a message, and get the "RAM Guy" to help you.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?foru...

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2005 2:23:37 PM

Paul wrote:
> In article <42f90d45$0$12886$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, "to@d" <to@d> wrote:
>

>>I'm sure this has been met before, and hope there is a solution around.
>>
>>I have Corsair platinum memory, 2 sticks of 256Mb DDR400 that work fine
>>if only one of the sticks are in slot 3 ( the second blue bank ) but if
>>I put both in the blue banks as suggested in the manual, I get many
>>reboots and program kickouts randomly, but cant get anything to run more
>>than 10 minutes.
>>Memory testers say the memory is fine, temperature of cpu about 32deg,
>>no problems there.
>>
>>Any takers, help needed, as this is a present for my son, and need to
>>get it runnings quick
>>
>>toad
>

> Go here, then click the link for the product you bought.
>
> http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html
>
> The PDF document might say something like:
>
> Tested at 2 -3-3-6 settings on Intel platforms
> Tested at 2.5-3-3-6 settings on AMD platforms
>
> Chances are, you need to set CAS manually to 2.5.
> There is no mechanism in the SPD EEPROM on the DIMM, to
> code a CAS value for Intel and a CAS value for AMD.
> Thus, the DIMM will only be correctly coded for one
> platform, requiring manual intervention for the other
> platform.
>
> You might also want to tweak the Vdimm voltage supply.
> You should be able to use 2.7V with just about any
> DIMM. A least 2.6V is needed for DDR400 memory.
>
> For a memory tester, use memtest86+ from memtest.org .
> It makes a test floppy, and there is also an ISO CD image.
> Memtest86+ tests all the memory, by lifting the executable
> out of the way and testing underneath. This is much better
> than your average Windows based test tool, where the
> memory occupied by the OS is not tested.
>
> Prime95 torture test (mersenne.org) is a tool you can use in
> Windows. It will tell you whether the memory works properly
> under load. While not all the memory gets tested, it is better
> than no test at all. No errors are acceptable.
>
> Other resources on the Corsair site:
>
> Configurator - supposed to tell you what memory works with A8V
> http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/configurator_searc...
>
> Corsair forum - use the search in the menu bar, try "A8V"
> Or post a message, and get the "RAM Guy" to help you.
>
> http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?foru...
>
> HTH,
> Paul
Thanks, will try anything

toad.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2005 9:39:40 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:08:59 +0100, to@d <to@d> wrote:

> I'm sure this has been met before, and hope there is a solution around.
>
> I have Corsair platinum memory, 2 sticks of 256Mb DDR400 that work fine
> if only one of the sticks are in slot 3 ( the second blue bank ) but if
> I put both in the blue banks as suggested in the manual, I get many
> reboots and program kickouts randomly, but cant get anything to run more
> than 10 minutes.
> Memory testers say the memory is fine, temperature of cpu about 32deg,
> no problems there.
>
> Any takers, help needed, as this is a present for my son, and need to
> get it runnings quick
>
> toad

Is the memory on the approved list for running in Dual Channel mode? I
had similar problems, when I chose any old memory, some as I switched to
Kingston memory from the list, it worked perfectly in DDR400 dual channel
mode...

You might also want to try this memory tester: http://www.memtest.org/

It will tell you if your system is reliably running in dual channel mode.
I had very intermittent problems, this picked them up, after changing the
memory, it would run overnight without fail, my intermittent problems have
since disappeared.

I suggest anyone running in Dual Channel mode, give the tester a shot, see
what it comes up with (you need to leave it for 3+ hours to gain any
confidence that the results are good).
!