Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

My microphone doesn't work anymore! The last time I used
it, with windows recorder was a few months ago, and it
worked perfectly. Now, it doesn't record or input any
sound at all. I have checked all of the volume controls,
both playback and record, making sure all mutes are
unchecked and all volume sliders are turned up. The mic
is plugged into the correct input on the soundcard. And
the mic works on other equipment. Now, I just installed
Windows XP SP-2 last week, and all seemed to be fine,
HOWVER:
When I go into the record control from the sounds and
audio properties window (of the "adjust audio properties"
button from the speaker in the desktop tray, lower
right), something interesting happens. If "Microphone" is
checked as the recording device, nothing happens. BUT, if
I check ANYTHING else, such as line-in, wave, CD, etc.
suddenly the mic starts working, and I can hear it
through my desktop speakers! However, it won't record
using windows sound recorder or any other program. I
noticed that the Record Control window
under "help" "about" says that the version was changed
and updated for SP-2. Is this my problem? Thanks in
advance for any help!

Well that sounds weird. Have you tried updating the sound card drivers
after installing SP2? It will only record if you select it as the
recording device on the recording page. Then if you want it to come out
of the speakers, you need to unmute it from the playback page. Install
the latest drivers and doublecheck both pages to make sure you have it
all selected properly :)

----
Nathan McNulty

jon wrote:
> My microphone doesn't work anymore! The last time I used
> it, with windows recorder was a few months ago, and it
> worked perfectly. Now, it doesn't record or input any
> sound at all. I have checked all of the volume controls,
> both playback and record, making sure all mutes are
> unchecked and all volume sliders are turned up. The mic
> is plugged into the correct input on the soundcard. And
> the mic works on other equipment. Now, I just installed
> Windows XP SP-2 last week, and all seemed to be fine,
> HOWVER:
> When I go into the record control from the sounds and
> audio properties window (of the "adjust audio properties"
> button from the speaker in the desktop tray, lower
> right), something interesting happens. If "Microphone" is
> checked as the recording device, nothing happens. BUT, if
> I check ANYTHING else, such as line-in, wave, CD, etc.
> suddenly the mic starts working, and I can hear it
> through my desktop speakers! However, it won't record
> using windows sound recorder or any other program. I
> noticed that the Record Control window
> under "help" "about" says that the version was changed
> and updated for SP-2. Is this my problem? Thanks in
> advance for any help!

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Thanks for the suggestion Nathan, but it turns out that
this is one of those "I'm stupid" resoultions. I forgot
to reboot after pluggin in the mic. Now it works fine.