P4C800 deluxe - Extreme Boot delay

I have this MOBO for more than a year, hardware is unchanged, bios is the
same but lately I experience an extreme delay when booting.
MOBO stays on the colored ASUS boot screen for almost a minute before
continuing. I do not find any error message.
Does anybody have an idea what's the reason for this?

Thank you.

Bernd Stoeckl

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:58:22 +0200, "Bernd Stoeckl"
<bernd.stoeckl@t-online.de> wrote:

>I have this MOBO for more than a year, hardware is unchanged, bios is the
>same but lately I experience an extreme delay when booting.
>MOBO stays on the colored ASUS boot screen for almost a minute before
>continuing. I do not find any error message.
>Does anybody have an idea what's the reason for this?

I was testing a marginal (failing) hard drive the other day, and it
caused very long, slow boots. Once I pulled it off, everything was
OK.

Paul

Splendid

In article <ddf0ei$p9h$02$1@news.t-online.com>, "Bernd Stoeckl"
<bernd.stoeckl@t-online.de> wrote:

> I have this MOBO for more than a year, hardware is unchanged, bios is the
> same but lately I experience an extreme delay when booting.
> MOBO stays on the colored ASUS boot screen for almost a minute before
> continuing. I do not find any error message.
> Does anybody have an idea what's the reason for this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bernd Stoeckl

Is the motherboard attempting to use PXE and boot from the network ?
Do you have a USB card reader device installed ?
Are any disks about to fail ?

Simplify the set of peripherals connected to the motherboard,
and see if the symptoms change.

You could be getting a complaint about "NVRAM". As
I understand it, some information may be written into a segment
of the flash chip, like whenever the hardware configuration
changes. If the BIOS is having trouble writing that segment,
that might cause a delay. You could try using one of the
BIOS flashing options and reflash the same version of the
BIOS, as the flash operation should overwrite the NVRAM
segment and allow a fresh computation of the contents.

Finally, you can always try the clear CMOS operation. Write
down any custom BIOS settings, do the clear CMOS operation
(with the computer unplugged), then power up, enter the
BIOS, and reload your settings. That might clear up your
problem, as sometimes an errant bit in the CMOS can
affect the performance of the BIOS at POST.

HTH,
Paul

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:58:22 +0200, "Bernd Stoeckl"
<bernd.stoeckl@t-online.de> wrote:

>I have this MOBO for more than a year, hardware is unchanged, bios is the
>same but lately I experience an extreme delay when booting.
>MOBO stays on the colored ASUS boot screen for almost a minute before
>continuing. I do not find any error message.
>Does anybody have an idea what's the reason for this?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Bernd Stoeckl

Bernd:

Go into the BIOS and disable that colored boot screen .. the LOGO.
Then, next time you boot, look at the first item or peripheral that
you see after the delay that you are describing. That item may be the
cause & you can start your troubleshooting ....