Multiple Monitor - cannot make as main display

trunkbitz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Set-up:
Asus x51r
Samsung BX2250 - external monitor
Windows 7

1. External monitor is detected, can only extend monitor.

2.1. On Screen Resolution Menu:
When I put a check on "Make this monitor as my main display", it shows "cannot save display settings".
2.2. Only 2 options appear on Monitor 2 Multiple Settings:
A. Disconnect display
B. Extend this display

3. on Windows Mobility: when disconnect display is clicked, no response, but it shows that Monitor 2 is connected.

4. Windows+P not functioning as a shortcut but the rest are.

I have uninstalled/re-installed, updated drivers, all are working fine. Asus x51r has ATi Radeon Xpress 1100.
Everything was fine when I was with Windows XP. Also, the Switch Monitor Fn Key on laptop doesnt seem to work after I installed Windows 7.

Any insights on how to deal with this? Thanks!

tizzle4shizzle

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008

probly programing thats there so the laptop screen is always primary. reason say your out of the house with it and turn it on you would see nothing. cause the (primary) screen that supplies the picture isnt there.

trunkbitz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks! having read other forums, i think It would be helpful to say that i have 1 GB ddr2 ram only. Considering the ram requirement of Windows 7 which is 2GB, do you think is it the reason for this? And also the videocard has 256MB RAM only, too. With Windows XP, with lesser spec requirements, everything works..

w33dg0d

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
An upgrade would always be useful but possibly not causing this problem, make sure both monitors are connected to your GPU Card, and that your card supports more than one monitor.