Asus Socket 775 Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Asus Socket 775 ATX mobo?

I am trying to put together a computer for a friend and I was just curious
to see
if some people have a preference for a certain board.

The computer will be used quite a bit for gaming, but nothing too fancy.
1GB RAM and a CPU somewhere between 2.6-3.0.

While we're on the subject, if someone recommends a certain CPU for the
board
please post that as well.

Thank you..

"J" <gecko250ATsasktel.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any recommendations for an Asus Socket 775 ATX mobo?
> I am trying to put together a computer for a friend and I was just curious
> to see> if some people have a preference for a certain board.
> > The computer will be used quite a bit for gaming, but nothing too fancy.
> 1GB RAM and a CPU somewhere between 2.6-3.0.
> > While we're on the subject, if someone recommends a certain CPU for the
> board

Have you considered an AMD Athlon 64 CPU? They run as fast or faster
(especially
for gaming) than equivalent Intel P4s, run cooler, use more upgradeable
motherboards,
etc. We are a dealer and are rarely sell any P4s right now because of that.

Check out a buyer's guide::
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2426

For a Sockey 939 Athlon 64 motherboard, I recommend either an ASUS A8N-E
or A8N-SLI series board.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

In article <11fn5crb62r69db@corp.supernews.com>, "J"
<gecko250ATsasktel.net> says...
> Does anyone have any recommendations for an Asus Socket 775 ATX mobo?
>
> I am trying to put together a computer for a friend and I was just curious
> to see
> if some people have a preference for a certain board.
>
> The computer will be used quite a bit for gaming, but nothing too fancy.
> 1GB RAM and a CPU somewhere between 2.6-3.0.
>
> While we're on the subject, if someone recommends a certain CPU for the
> board
> please post that as well.

I go back and forth between ASUS and Intel boards for workstation class
machines, I'm currently building a 775 system based on the Intel
D915GEVL LGA775 board (and at $115 it's easy on the budget).

If you want to play games, the cache size (diff between 1m and 2m won't
mean much), but you want as fast a FSB as you can get. Don't slack out
on the RAM either, see if you can get CL-2 RAM, and the video card can
make or break a gaming machine, get something with 256MB RAM on it, and
something that's very fast.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me