A7N8X-E sata hd one drive only?

Question is . Can I set up one sata hard drive using the raid 1 connector on the mother board or is it necessary to have two . I only want one sata
hard drive ?
I looked in the user guide it don't say anything about single sata HD insulation

It definitely is possible.

qsbof1pvfhs48dlbtp0mrnb20q8esh4ofc@4ax.com...

"Bob Sligh" <sligh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Question is . Can I set up one sata hard drive using the raid 1
> connector on the mother board or is it necessary to have two . I only
> want one sata
> hard drive ?
> I looked in the user guide it don't say anything about single sata HD
> insulation
You connect one drive, create a RAID array, and only assign one disk to
it. You have to use the RAID drivers, but it runs as 'JBOD' mode (just a
bunch of disks), without either striping, or mirroring enabled.

Best Wishes

Roger Hamlett wrote:
> You connect one drive, create a RAID array, and only assign one disk
> to it. You have to use the RAID drivers, but it runs as 'JBOD' mode
> (just a bunch of disks), without either striping, or mirroring
> enabled.

Sorry if I might sound ignorant, but is there any point in setting 1 drive
up in RAID?

Sam

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:52:08 +0200, "Per Nielsen"
<dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Roger Hamlett wrote:
>> You connect one drive, create a RAID array, and only assign one disk
>> to it. You have to use the RAID drivers, but it runs as 'JBOD' mode
>> (just a bunch of disks), without either striping, or mirroring
>> enabled.
>
>Sorry if I might sound ignorant, but is there any point in setting 1 drive
>up in RAID?

I have a single SATA drive installed and didn't use the RAID setup at
all. Just be sure the SATA jumper is set correctly on the motherboard
and during the boot process, you should see it recognized.

To install Windows on it, however, you'll need to have a floppy disk
with the SATA drivers on it. For XP, you press F-6 when it prompts for
SCSI drivers at the beginning... it will then eventually read the
floppy and load the drivers. Without those drivers, Windows won't
recognize that the drive even exists. (If you have one of those new
Microsoft keyboards with the F-Lock key, be sure to press it first,
before using the F-6 key).

Sam
(been there... done that...)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:46:24 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:52:08 +0200, "Per Nielsen"
><dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Roger Hamlett wrote:
>>> You connect one drive, create a RAID array, and only assign one disk
>>> to it. You have to use the RAID drivers, but it runs as 'JBOD' mode
>>> (just a bunch of disks), without either striping, or mirroring
>>> enabled.
>>
>>Sorry if I might sound ignorant, but is there any point in setting 1 drive
>>up in RAID?
>>

>I have a single SATA drive installed and didn't use the RAID setup at
>all. Just be sure the SATA jumper is set correctly on the motherboard
>and during the boot process, you should see it recognized.
>
>To install Windows on it, however, you'll need to have a floppy disk
>with the SATA drivers on it. For XP, you press F-6 when it prompts for
>SCSI drivers at the beginning... it will then eventually read the
>floppy and load the drivers. Without those drivers, Windows won't
>recognize that the drive even exists. (If you have one of those new
>Microsoft keyboards with the F-Lock key, be sure to press it first,
>before using the F-6 key).
>
>Sam
>(been there... done that...)

Thank you Sam
The SATA pin jumper is set to the default setting (sata) as it comes from factory this way..
The SATA drivers are on the CD that come with the motherboard package. Copy them to the floppy
start a fresh install (XP) when asked for SCSI drivers press F6 then insert floppy
We will use the raid drive one position on the motherboard
I feel lie a expert all ready:eek:)

Sam

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:58:44 -0400, Bob Sligh <sligh@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:46:24 -0700, Sam <retired@home.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:52:08 +0200, "Per Nielsen"
>><dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Sorry if I might sound ignorant, but is there any point in setting 1 drive
>>>up in RAID?
>>>

>>I have a single SATA drive installed and didn't use the RAID setup at
>>all. Just be sure the SATA jumper is set correctly on the motherboard
>>and during the boot process, you should see it recognized.
>>
>>To install Windows on it, however, you'll need to have a floppy disk
>>with the SATA drivers on it. For XP, you press F-6 when it prompts for
>>SCSI drivers at the beginning... it will then eventually read the
>>floppy and load the drivers. Without those drivers, Windows won't
>>recognize that the drive even exists. (If you have one of those new
>>Microsoft keyboards with the F-Lock key, be sure to press it first,
>>before using the F-6 key).
>>
>>Sam
>>(been there... done that...)
>>

> Thank you Sam
> The SATA pin jumper is set to the default setting (sata) as it comes from factory this way..
>The SATA drivers are on the CD that come with the motherboard package. Copy them to the floppy
>start a fresh install (XP) when asked for SCSI drivers press F6 then insert floppy
> We will use the raid drive one position on the motherboard
> I feel lie a expert all ready:eek:)

That's the way my system works. In fact I have nothing on IDE-1 and my
DVD on IDE-2. No problems at all with this setup. The only other
"gotcha" are the SATA cable connectors, which feel like they could
come loose if you just look at them wrong. Just make sure that
everything is in snug before you button up your case.

Sam

Sam wrote:
> To install Windows on it, however, you'll need to have a floppy disk
> with the SATA drivers on it. For XP, you press F-6 when it prompts for
> SCSI drivers at the beginning... it will then eventually read the
> floppy and load the drivers. Without those drivers, Windows won't
> recognize that the drive even exists. (If you have one of those new
> Microsoft keyboards with the F-Lock key, be sure to press it first,
> before using the F-6 key).
> Sam
> (been there... done that...)

Been there too with one system and one SATA drive :) Just curious to know
what the deal is with thinking RAID with only 1 SATA disc?

Sam

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:45:42 +0200, "Per Nielsen"
<dazzler53@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>> To install Windows on it, however, you'll need to have a floppy disk
>> with the SATA drivers on it. For XP, you press F-6 when it prompts for
>> SCSI drivers at the beginning... it will then eventually read the
>> floppy and load the drivers. Without those drivers, Windows won't
>> recognize that the drive even exists. (If you have one of those new
>> Microsoft keyboards with the F-Lock key, be sure to press it first,
>> before using the F-6 key).
>> Sam
>> (been there... done that...)
>
>Been there too with one system and one SATA drive :) Just curious to know
>what the deal is with thinking RAID with only 1 SATA disc?

Not sure... maybe because there's a prompt on the screen for RAID
setup at the point where it recognizes the SATA disk. With just one
disk (or two disks used independently), just ignore that prompt and
use them just like you would any other hard-drives.

Sam

--
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" -- Pogo (1970)

Sam wrote:
> Not sure... maybe because there's a prompt on the screen for RAID
> setup at the point where it recognizes the SATA disk. With just one
> disk (or two disks used independently), just ignore that prompt and
> use them just like you would any other hard-drives.

Thx Sam :)