DB

I've just installed a 1 gig ddr memory card into my ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard
but when i boot up and look at the properties on my PC it is only showing
512 meg, the same amount is displayed when I lok at the BIOS.

Hmmm,I thought it would pick it straight up.

Any clues ?

Thanks

Dave :)

Did you clear ESCD (BIOS) before rebooting after new RAM installation ?

"DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've just installed a 1 gig ddr memory card into my ASUS A7V8X-X
> motherboard but when i boot up and look at the properties on my PC it is
> only showing 512 meg, the same amount is displayed when I lok at the BIOS.
>
> Hmmm,I thought it would pick it straight up.
>
> Any clues ?
>
> Thanks
>

> Dave :)

DB

er no I didnt.....how do I do that Charles, previously I has 256 but now
shows 512

Dave - thanks

"Charles Sapp" <crsapp@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Did you clear ESCD (BIOS) before rebooting after new RAM installation ?
>
> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've just installed a 1 gig ddr memory card into my ASUS A7V8X-X
>> motherboard but when i boot up and look at the properties on my PC it is
>> only showing 512 meg, the same amount is displayed when I lok at the
>> BIOS.
>>
>> Hmmm,I thought it would pick it straight up.
>>
>> Any clues ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Dave :)

Paul

Splendid

In article <ZX4Le.87617$G8.75747@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "DB"
<db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> er no I didnt.....how do I do that Charles, previously I has 256 but now
> shows 512
>
> Dave - thanks
>

> "Charles Sapp" <crsapp@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > Did you clear ESCD (BIOS) before rebooting after new RAM installation ?
> >
> > "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I've just installed a 1 gig ddr memory card into my ASUS A7V8X-X
> >> motherboard but when i boot up and look at the properties on my PC it is
> >> only showing 512 meg, the same amount is displayed when I lok at the
> >> BIOS.
> >>
> >> Hmmm,I thought it would pick it straight up.
> >>
> >> Any clues ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> Dave :)

He is talking about the CLRTC jumper. In your manual, go to section
1.11 "Jumpers". Item #3 in that section tells you how to clear the
CMOS. Clearing the CMOS will likely cause the onboard clock to be
reset, and you'll have to re-enter BIOS settings. The most important
part of the procedure, is to unplug the computer, to protect the
ORing diode in the standby power circuit.

If you can boot the computer, I would start with a copy of CPUZ from
www.cpuid.com . I believe CPUZ has the ability to dump the contents
of the SPD chip on the DIMM. Perhaps it will tell you something about
the design of the DIMM.

I would also test the new DIMM by itself, removing the old memory
DIMM. That might make it easier to figure out what the computer
sees or doesn't see.

Your manual says you may use 3*1GB DIMMs (with some restrictions
on memory clock rate, as three double sided DIMMs is a heavy
capacitive load to drive). The KT400 will have some number of
memory address bits, and a certain number of row and column
address bits are needed to address the whole memory.

When a chipset says it is limited to a 1GB stick, that might
mean it could only deal with 64Mx8 chips. It might only have
enough memory address bits to do that. If the DIMM had 128Mx4
chips on it, that might mean the DIMM needs one more memory
address bit than the chipset has to offer. The consequence of
using (16) 128Mx4 chips, might be that only 512MB can be seen.
A construction more likely to work is (16) 64Mx8 chips, which
logically is two "ranks" of memory. Those DIMMs tend to be
more expensive than other potential constructions.

So, have a look at the SPD info from the DIMM, or if your
memory vendor had a shred of honesty, there might have
been some info suitable for warning you of the potential
for problems.

For example, here is an advert from Pricewatch, "coded" to
indicate the potential for trouble. When a vendor starts
naming "compatible" chipsets, it implies something funny
about the RAM.

http://www.pricewatch.com/prc.aspx?i=33&a=5025

"MemoryPRO - D400-1284-1G

MemoryPRO High Density 1GB DDR PC3200 DDR400 184-Pin DIMM
Memory for KT400 KT600 & SIS 645 648 648FX 746FX Chipsets
& more."

The "high density" implies the deeper addressing RAM chips,
of 128M by 4 bits wide memory chips ("high density" is not
a precise term, so I treat this as a hint). Their part number
also hints at that. The naming of the chipsets means at the
least, that the DIMM places more capacitive load than normal
on the memory bus, and that list of chipsets can probably
drive at least one DIMM. You might not be able to drive 3
of these, at full speed. Since datasheets for the above named
chipsets are not likely to be available, it is hard to say
more about whether the row/column addressing bits are
sufficient to address 128 million locations on a single DIMM
rank. (If the product support 2GB DIMMs, then the answer would
be yes.)

See if you can swap for a 16 chip 64Mx8 chip type DIMM. Your
vendor will need more cash for the transaction. It
will have normal bus loading, and might be fully
addressable by your KT400 Northbridge.

You can see the difference in price here. At one time, vendors
like this gave no warning whatsoever, about the fitness of
their products, and I guess a stready stream of returns
and fights about restocking fees, is improving the quality of
the adverts.

http://www.portatech.com/catalog/memory.asp?ID=285

Just some guesses,
Paul

DB

Paul, i downloaded and ran CPUID and it confirmed the chip as 512
too......( I bought it from a guy on ebay...OOOh dear...)

I've tried in all of the 3 slots and i get the same reading..of 512..

according to the label its a 1 gig board...

stuck now..

Dave :)

thanks again..

> [...]
> drive at least one DIMM. You might not be able to drive 3
> of these, at full speed. Since datasheets for the above named
> chipsets are not likely to be available, it is hard to say
> more about whether the row/column addressing bits are
> sufficient to address 128 million locations on a single DIMM
> rank. (If the product support 2GB DIMMs, then the answer would
> be yes.)
>
> See if you can swap for a 16 chip 64Mx8 chip type DIMM. Your
> vendor will need more cash for the transaction. It
> will have normal bus loading, and might be fully
> addressable by your KT400 Northbridge.
>
> You can see the difference in price here. At one time, vendors
> like this gave no warning whatsoever, about the fitness of
> their products, and I guess a stready stream of returns
> and fights about restocking fees, is improving the quality of

It was probably half of a 1 gig set.

> [...]
>> drive at least one DIMM. You might not be able to drive 3
>> of these, at full speed. Since datasheets for the above named
>> chipsets are not likely to be available, it is hard to say
>> more about whether the row/column addressing bits are
>> sufficient to address 128 million locations on a single DIMM
>> rank. (If the product support 2GB DIMMs, then the answer would
>> be yes.)
>>
>> See if you can swap for a 16 chip 64Mx8 chip type DIMM. Your
>> vendor will need more cash for the transaction. It
>> will have normal bus loading, and might be fully
>> addressable by your KT400 Northbridge.
>>
>> You can see the difference in price here. At one time, vendors
>> like this gave no warning whatsoever, about the fitness of
>> their products, and I guess a stready stream of returns
>> and fights about restocking fees, is improving the quality of

Grumpy

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:28:31 GMT, "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Paul, i downloaded and ran CPUID and it confirmed the chip as 512
> too......( I bought it from a guy on ebay...OOOh dear...)
>
> I've tried in all of the 3 slots and i get the same reading..of 512..
>
> according to the label its a 1 gig board...
>
> stuck now..

Yet another ebay ripoff.

DB

So, i take it that even tho the card has a label over the chips say " 1 gig
ddr - 400 blah blah blah DO NOT REMOVE"

its is only a 512 chip and that it needs the "other" card to be a full 1 gig

Dave :(

<grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:28:31 GMT, "DB"
> <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Paul, i downloaded and ran CPUID and it confirmed the chip as 512
>> too......( I bought it from a guy on ebay...OOOh dear...)
>>
>> I've tried in all of the 3 slots and i get the same reading..of 512..
>>
>> according to the label its a 1 gig board...
>>
>> stuck now..
>>

> Yet another ebay ripoff.

DB

Apparently its HIGH DENSITY which my mobo doesnt pick up , hence it only
readspart of the chips and registers them as 512 meg......i think i should
have got the LOW DENSITY card instead.....any one wanna do a swap?

Dave :)

> So, i take it that even tho the card has a label over the chips say " 1
> gig ddr - 400 blah blah blah DO NOT REMOVE"
>
> its is only a 512 chip and that it needs the "other" card to be a full 1
> gig
>
> Dave :(
>

> <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:28:31 GMT, "DB"
>> <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Paul, i downloaded and ran CPUID and it confirmed the chip as 512
>>> too......( I bought it from a guy on ebay...OOOh dear...)
>>>
>>> I've tried in all of the 3 slots and i get the same reading..of 512..
>>>
>>> according to the label its a 1 gig board...
>>>
>>> stuck now..
>>>

>> Yet another ebay ripoff.

DB

I've just added my old DDR into the PC too and now im getting a reading of
768 meg.....er.....me thinks i bought the wrong stuff in the first place.

At least half of it works eh ?

Dave :)))) ((((

> Apparently its HIGH DENSITY which my mobo doesnt pick up , hence it only
> readspart of the chips and registers them as 512 meg......i think i should
> have got the LOW DENSITY card instead.....any one wanna do a swap?
>
> Dave :)
>

> "DB" <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> So, i take it that even tho the card has a label over the chips say " 1
>> gig ddr - 400 blah blah blah DO NOT REMOVE"
>>
>> its is only a 512 chip and that it needs the "other" card to be a full 1
>> gig
>>
>> Dave :(
>>

>> <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message

>>> Yet another ebay ripoff.

Paul

Splendid

In article <wgaLe.87883$G8.298@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "DB"
<db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just added my old DDR into the PC too and now im getting a reading of
> 768 meg.....er.....me thinks i bought the wrong stuff in the first place.
>
> At least half of it works eh ?
>
> Dave :)))) ((((

If the SPD chip on the DIMM reports 512MB, and the sticky
label on the top of the DIMM says 1GB, I'd say there was
some fraud at work. The SPD contents are a declaration
of the memory type, whether the chipset can work with the
DIMM or not.

In my example of a "high density" 1GB DIMM, the SPD will
always read 1GB. If there are insufficient address bits
to drive the DIMM, the BIOS will count to 512MB, but the
SPD will still read 1GB when dumped with a utility. If
your SPD is reading 512MB, the DIMM was never a 1GB stick.

Maybe there was some monkey business with the sticky label.

If the chips are visible to the naked eye, post the three
rows of numbers and letters. Tell us the total number of
chips (like 16?). Maybe we can look up the chip type, and
verify what they are. If the DIMMs are generic, there might
be no printing whatsoever on the chips, which makes
detective work pretty hard.

Will you be purchasing from Ebay again ?

Paul

DB

I'll post these details later on tonite....

It wont put me off buying on ebay as this is the first problem ive had in 70
transactions. Maybe's i'll just be a little more careful with whom I
purchase off.

Im looking for an XP 3000 chip too but im a bit wary......

Cheers

Dave :)

> In article <wgaLe.87883$G8.298@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "DB"
> <db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just added my old DDR into the PC too and now im getting a reading
>> of
>> 768 meg.....er.....me thinks i bought the wrong stuff in the first place.
>>
>> At least half of it works eh ?
>>
>> Dave :)))) ((((
>>

> If the SPD chip on the DIMM reports 512MB, and the sticky
> label on the top of the DIMM says 1GB, I'd say there was
> some fraud at work. The SPD contents are a declaration
> of the memory type, whether the chipset can work with the
> DIMM or not.
>
> In my example of a "high density" 1GB DIMM, the SPD will
> always read 1GB. If there are insufficient address bits
> to drive the DIMM, the BIOS will count to 512MB, but the
> SPD will still read 1GB when dumped with a utility. If
> your SPD is reading 512MB, the DIMM was never a 1GB stick.
>
> Maybe there was some monkey business with the sticky label.
>
> If the chips are visible to the naked eye, post the three
> rows of numbers and letters. Tell us the total number of
> chips (like 16?). Maybe we can look up the chip type, and
> verify what they are. If the DIMMs are generic, there might
> be no printing whatsoever on the chips, which makes
> detective work pretty hard.
>
> Will you be purchasing from Ebay again ?
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <oCELe.88592$G8.61828@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "DB"
<db002a3121(NOSPAM)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I was looking at the mobile but im a bit green with them.
>
> Is it just a case of insert and go........will my board accomodate the 3200
> mobile without problem - my board is the
> Asus A7V8X-X and i was under the impression that the best I could get was
> the 3000 + chip.
>
> Dave :)

No, it isn't always that simple. When you first plug it in, it might
run at 800MHz. The multiplier starts at a low value. You need to set
the multiplier in the BIOS, and so there has to be hardware support
for driving the FID bits. Not all boards have that. You really need
to visit the websites that specialize in AMD stuff (nforcershq.com,
a7vtroubleshooting.com, forums.pcper.com and so on), and find
someone who has already done it, to find out if there are any
issues with using the XP-M. In the worst case, you use "wire tricks",
such as the one presented on this site:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

To use this, select "socket view" if doing a wire trick. Select
a value from the "Multiplier Selection" menu, and see which pairs
of holes in the socket, need hair thin, strands of wire inserted
to force a multiplier value. The multipliers are listed in the
right hand column of the menu, stretching from 3x to 24x. Notice
how the left most wire mod on the socket changes between the up
and down position, between the 12.5x multiplier and the 13.0x
multiplier. This is the FID4 bit, which many motherboards cannot
drive. Many motherboards can only program FID3..FID0, so doing
this wire mod makes the high multipliers available. This mod
programs FID4 - compare the position of this mod, to the info
on the ocinside.de socket view. With your 166MHz FSB, you'll
likely want a multiplier of 13.0x or 13.5x or higher, so this
wire should make it available.

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8428/13multi2.jpg

As a cross reference, use this site. The L6 table shows you
the high multipliers are not always linearly related to the
low multipliers.

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

When fooling with multipliers, leave the CPU clock set at
100MHz. If you make a mistake, and somehow get a 24x multiplier,
you are at 2400MHz, which is still within range of the silicon.
(I've run that high no problem.) Once you have succeeded in
controlling the multiplier, you can crank the CPU clock to the
correct level.

With the wire tricks, remember to set the BIOS multiplier setting
to "Auto" if using all five wires. If the motherboard properly
supports multiplier settings via the BIOS, but doesn't drive
FID4, then you can install the FID4 wire, _and_ be able to use
a multiplier setting in the BIOS. What you don't want to do,
is force a multiplier bit with a wire trick, at the same time
as you use the BIOS to drive a manual multiplier setting. (It
may not damage anything, but I try to use the most conservative
practices I know of.)

It looks like you are in luck. I searched on Altavista for:

a7v8x-x mobile multiplier

and found this. Looks like a slam-dunk :) No hacks necessary.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=2662730

Paul

DB

Cracking stuff Paul......

Im off to try and digest all this information

Thanks again