iPaq 2210 ROM update - can't download

June 30, 2004 6:59:23 PM

Hi,

For a few months now, I've been trying to download the iPaq 2210 ROM update
(SP27073.exe) from HP's website and the direct link that HP support sent me
(ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27001-27500/).

Thing is, I can't do it. I can't connect to ftp.compaq.com - pings time out,
as does IE6 and when I try through Mozilla, I get "connection refused" (same
story with WS-FTP). I have also tried to download this patch from work, with
the same results. Since I haven't found anything on Google Groups about
this, I assume it's not a common / global problem, so I'm guessing that they
are blocking connections from a lot (or all?) UK IP addresses - at any rate,
something funny is going on.

Unfortunately, HP do not seem willing to help. They keep telling me my
system is to blame (two computers, two networks, both of which can connect
fine to any other public FTP server) and won't investigate further, or even
just email me the file!

If somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything), or suggest
some alternative method of getting hold of HP patches, I'd be most grateful.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks,

Rob.
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 30, 2004 6:59:24 PM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:59:23 +0100, Rob wrote:
> Hi,

> For a few months now, I've been trying to download the iPaq 2210 ROM update
> (SP27073.exe) from HP's website and the direct link that HP support sent me
> (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27001-27500/).

> Thing is, I can't do it. I can't connect to ftp.compaq.com - pings time out,
> as does IE6 and when I try through Mozilla, I get "connection refused" (same
> story with WS-FTP). I have also tried to download this patch from work, with
> the same results. Since I haven't found anything on Google Groups about
> this, I assume it's not a common / global problem, so I'm guessing that they
> are blocking connections from a lot (or all?) UK IP addresses - at any rate,
> something funny is going on.

> Unfortunately, HP do not seem willing to help. They keep telling me my
> system is to blame (two computers, two networks, both of which can connect
> fine to any other public FTP server) and won't investigate further, or even
> just email me the file!

> If somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything), or suggest
> some alternative method of getting hold of HP patches, I'd be most grateful.
> Has anyone else had this problem?

> Many thanks,

> Rob.

Have you tried accessing the pages and rom download via http rather than ftp?
That will always work. The ftp problem might be passive vs active ports and
firewall contention problems.

--
Thanks, Mike.
Anonymous

Can I ask why you are using ftp?

It's available via http at: -

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us....
html

(watch the wrap)

--
Tony Brookes

Chorley, UK

Sent using Virtual Access V6.0 build 10
on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 build 2195
Related resources
June 30, 2004 7:56:58 PM

"Tonybro" <tonybro@iname.com> wrote in message
> Can I ask why you are using ftp?
>
> It's available via http at: -
>
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us....
> html

Cheers Tony, but that doesn't work - the "download" link just times out (in
fact, it redirects to the same FTP site anyway).

Any other suggestions?
June 30, 2004 8:16:32 PM

Rob wrote:
> "Tonybro" <tonybro@iname.com> wrote in message
>
>>Can I ask why you are using ftp?
>>
>>It's available via http at: -
>>
>>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us....
>>html
>

> Cheers Tony, but that doesn't work - the "download" link just times out (in
> fact, it redirects to the same FTP site anyway).

Try using a FTP client such as WS_FTP LE. Set it to use Passive mode.
The username will be an email address and password anonymous. It maybe
your network is blocking FTP ports for some reason.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

"Rob" <rob5189@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tonybro" <tonybro@iname.com> wrote in message
> > Can I ask why you are using ftp?
> >
> > It's available via http at: -
> >
> > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us....
> > html
>
> Cheers Tony, but that doesn't work - the "download" link just times out
(in
> fact, it redirects to the same FTP site anyway).
>
> Any other suggestions?

The link works fine here. It may have been down when you originally tried.
If you can't get it it is some limitation of your isp, or if at work the
system has it blocked. If you can't get your IT help to unblock or d/l the
file get a friend to download it for you.
July 1, 2004 11:28:50 PM

> Hi,
>
> For a few months now, I've been trying to download the iPaq 2210 ROM
update
> (SP27073.exe) from HP's website and the direct link that HP support sent
me
> (ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27001-27500/).
>
> Thing is, I can't do it. I can't connect to ftp.compaq.com - pings time
out,
> as does IE6 and when I try through Mozilla, I get "connection refused"
(same
> story with WS-FTP). I have also tried to download this patch from work,
with
> the same results. Since I haven't found anything on Google Groups about
> this, I assume it's not a common / global problem, so I'm guessing that
they
> are blocking connections from a lot (or all?) UK IP addresses - at any
rate,
> something funny is going on.
>
> Unfortunately, HP do not seem willing to help. They keep telling me my
> system is to blame (two computers, two networks, both of which can connect
> fine to any other public FTP server) and won't investigate further, or
even
> just email me the file!
>
> If somebody could tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything), or suggest
> some alternative method of getting hold of HP patches, I'd be most
grateful.
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks to all for the quick replies. The problem seems to affect my NTL
accounts (broadband and dial-up), along with my work connection, neither
have any kind of restriction on accessing FTP sites... Wierd! Anyway, I set
up a free Wanadoo dial-up account and downloaded it fine from there (albeit
painfully slowly) so my ROM is now patched.

Thanks again for the help!

Rob.
September 24, 2009 4:19:57 PM

Rob said:

[...]

I only experience this ftp download problem when I am using my HP laptop to download from HP! What a deal! Anyway, the solution for me is rather simple if you just take it one step at a time.

SOLUTION:
1- Go to the page that has the “Download” or “Download Now” button.
2- Right-click on that button.
3- Select the option that sounds like “Copy target”.
4- Put your cursor in the slot where you would normally type your desired web address.
5- Right-click and select “Paste”. DO NOT SELECT ENTER.
6- Look at the first of the address string you just pasted in. You will see “ftp” written twice.
7- Change ONLY the FIRST “ftp” to read “http”. Be careful not to change anything else including spacing.
8- Select ENTER. Your download should start and your problems should be over.

This works for me. I can download any and every ftp file HP has doing this. Hope it works for you!
----------Jo Anne
!