P4PE and 3.06HT Problems

I just installed a 3.06GHz P4 with HT. I am running P4PE Rev. 1.03 with
the latest 1007 BIOS. On post the screen shows 2 1.60GHz CPUs (not 2
3.06 GHz CPUs like I expected). There is a Power Hardware alert that
indicates VCore is low at 1.26V. The system boots into WinXP and is
totally stable but Windows indicates that the chip is a 3.06GHz Pentium
4 running at 1.60GHz.
Needless to say this is NOT OK. I checked the Intel Frequency ID
Utility (dowloaded from Intel) and it too indicates a 3.06GHz Pentium 4
running at 1.60 GHz. I have an Antec 400W Power supply. I tried
disconnecting all drives except the BOOT drive and a graphics card with
this CPU. Same problem occurs. I am stumped. Is my power supply to
blame? I doubt its the chip. Is it the P4PE Voltage Regulator?
I have a "spare" P4PE-X and hooked it up with that exact same
results (that is a 1.03 Revisision board running 1007 Award BIOS as
well). I researched the ASUS site and it says that my board is fully
capable of running the Intel 3.06Ghz P4 with HT.

I have tried the following:

LATEST BIOS
CHECKED MY BOARD REVISION
WIN XP Runs STABLE
SWAPPED BOARDS AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

Thanks in Advance.

Right on Target:

The FSB is running at 133
The Multiplier is locked at x12.
The Core Voltage is 1.26V but I moved it to 1.3 to get rid of the
Hardware alert on boot and it runs smooth.

Paul are you saying I basically can't use this thing in a P4PE because
of the 133 Bus yielding such a slow clock?

Paul

Splendid

In article <1123940562.952400.20010@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "NRS"
<nrsjunkmail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just installed a 3.06GHz P4 with HT. I am running P4PE Rev. 1.03 with
> the latest 1007 BIOS. On post the screen shows 2 1.60GHz CPUs (not 2
> 3.06 GHz CPUs like I expected). There is a Power Hardware alert that
> indicates VCore is low at 1.26V. The system boots into WinXP and is
> totally stable but Windows indicates that the chip is a 3.06GHz Pentium
> 4 running at 1.60GHz.
> Needless to say this is NOT OK. I checked the Intel Frequency ID
> Utility (dowloaded from Intel) and it too indicates a 3.06GHz Pentium 4
> running at 1.60 GHz. I have an Antec 400W Power supply. I tried
> disconnecting all drives except the BOOT drive and a graphics card with
> this CPU. Same problem occurs. I am stumped. Is my power supply to
> blame? I doubt its the chip. Is it the P4PE Voltage Regulator?
> I have a "spare" P4PE-X and hooked it up with that exact same
> results (that is a 1.03 Revisision board running 1007 Award BIOS as
> well). I researched the ASUS site and it says that my board is fully
> capable of running the Intel 3.06Ghz P4 with HT.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> LATEST BIOS
> CHECKED MY BOARD REVISION
> WIN XP Runs STABLE
> SWAPPED BOARDS AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
>
> Thanks in Advance.

You lucky dog :) You bought a Mobile P4.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=sl726

People have been overclocking these on Abxzone in past years.
The 3.06GHz one would be the most desirable model, as overclocking
it to 3.6GHz should go quite smooth.

The way this works, is "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processors" have
the same pinout as a desktop part. They plug into the same S478
socket. But, the way you identify you got a Mobile (other than
using the processorfinder site), is the multiplier is fixed at
x12. Usually, when they first start, the clock is 100MHz, the
FSB reads out as FSB400. 100 x 12 = 1200MHz, super-slow. (Only
a mobile chipset properly sets the speed - a desktop chipset
will give the 1200MHz thing instead.)

In your case, the clock is (somehow) at 133MHz. Maybe you forced
the CPU clock to 133Mhz, or maybe the BSEL pins on the bottom of
that particular model of processor are coded that way, I don't know
for sure. 133 x 12 = 1.6GHz.

This kind of processor is best run in a P4C800-E Deluxe. There,
you can set the clock manually to 300MHz, the FSB becomes FSB1200,
the core speed becomes 3.6GHz. You use the best DDR DRAM available
(maybe some TCCD these days), and run the RAM 1:1 at DDR600.

It may require an adjustment of Vcore, as I don't remember right
off hand, what voltage that chip requests at startup. (The SL726
web page says 1.3V, but maybe the VID value is identified
differently by a desktop motherboard. So, even though it requests
1.3V in mobile coding, a desktop regulator may interpret it
differently.)

In any case, if that is indeed what you got, if you want to sell
it, there may still be a few people with S478 FSB800 motherboards
who wouldn't mind owning one. In your Ebay advert, post the
SL726 or equivalent code, the full title "Mobile Intel Pentium 4
Processor", and someone will buy it. Or, overclock the hell out
of it and enjoy it yourself. It is supposed to run cooler than
your average 3.06GHz/FSB533 processor.

HTH,
Paul

I have a P4PE motherboard running the P4 3.06 GHz CPU and I have it
correctly identified and it works correctly. But I am using the original
BIOS that came with it. You may want to try reverting to an earlier BIOS
version.

--
DaveW

"NRS" <nrsjunkmail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a 3.06GHz P4 with HT. I am running P4PE Rev. 1.03 with
> the latest 1007 BIOS. On post the screen shows 2 1.60GHz CPUs (not 2
> 3.06 GHz CPUs like I expected). There is a Power Hardware alert that
> indicates VCore is low at 1.26V. The system boots into WinXP and is
> totally stable but Windows indicates that the chip is a 3.06GHz Pentium
> 4 running at 1.60GHz.
> Needless to say this is NOT OK. I checked the Intel Frequency ID
> Utility (dowloaded from Intel) and it too indicates a 3.06GHz Pentium 4
> running at 1.60 GHz. I have an Antec 400W Power supply. I tried
> disconnecting all drives except the BOOT drive and a graphics card with
> this CPU. Same problem occurs. I am stumped. Is my power supply to
> blame? I doubt its the chip. Is it the P4PE Voltage Regulator?
> I have a "spare" P4PE-X and hooked it up with that exact same
> results (that is a 1.03 Revisision board running 1007 Award BIOS as
> well). I researched the ASUS site and it says that my board is fully
> capable of running the Intel 3.06Ghz P4 with HT.
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> LATEST BIOS
> CHECKED MY BOARD REVISION
> WIN XP Runs STABLE
> SWAPPED BOARDS AND STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Thats probably the desktop version not the mobile one.

too cool...!

or else the board is running at 100mhz/fsb...

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:13:12 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> [...]
>the core speed becomes 3.6GHz. You use the best DDR DRAM available
>(maybe some TCCD these days), and run the RAM 1:1 at DDR600.
>
>It may require an adjustment of Vcore, as I don't remember right
>off hand, what voltage that chip requests at startup. (The SL726
>web page says 1.3V, but maybe the VID value is identified
>differently by a desktop motherboard. So, even though it requests
>1.3V in mobile coding, a desktop regulator may interpret it
>differently.)
>
>In any case, if that is indeed what you got, if you want to sell
>it, there may still be a few people with S478 FSB800 motherboards
>who wouldn't mind owning one. In your Ebay advert, post the
>SL726 or equivalent code, the full title "Mobile Intel Pentium 4
>Processor", and someone will buy it. Or, overclock the hell out
>of it and enjoy it yourself. It is supposed to run cooler than

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-1308052134160001@192.168.1.178>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

These are the threads on Abxzone that mention the SL726:

Original "Bigtoe" discovery:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59931&highlight=sl726

P4P800 doesn't work ? :
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92287&highlight=sl726

Looks like there are BIOS revision issues - perhaps microcode is
missing in the later BIOS revisions. I find it hard to believe
that Asus would add code to the BIOS, to prevent a mobile from
working - that is too much work for them. In any case,
the original discovery was fun.

Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-1308052232260001@192.168.1.178>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <nospam-1308052134160001@192.168.1.178>, nospam@needed.com
> (Paul) wrote:
>
> These are the threads on Abxzone that mention the SL726:
>
> Original "Bigtoe" discovery:
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59931&highlight=sl726
>
> P4P800 doesn't work ? :
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92287&highlight=sl726
>
> Looks like there are BIOS revision issues - perhaps microcode is
> missing in the later BIOS revisions. I find it hard to believe
> that Asus would add code to the BIOS, to prevent a mobile from
> working - that is too much work for them. In any case,
> the original discovery was fun.
>
> Paul

A search on GHI and DPSLP, dug up this Intel doc. Pg.9
shows how the computer enters SLP#, DPSLP# is pulsed low,
and samples GHI# which is fixed at logic 0 (GND).
A short time after DPSLP# falling edge, the multiplier
changes to the "normal" value, in your case x23.

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/designgd/25131902.pdf

Of course, this doesn't solve the details of what the
current signals TESTHI11 and TESTHI12 are doing and where
they are connected. It is just meant to illustrate the
correct sequence for triggering a multiplier change. Observing
the SLP# signal would help determine that the processor
is sleeping, and is ready for the transition. The Intel
document mentions the BIOS using S1 sleep state, to cause
SLP# to be activated.

Paul

thats correct, with the latest p4pe bios release and one stick of
ddr400, the board will do 200mhz fsb with a stock p4 800mhz cpu.
Otherwise, you can only run stock 533mhz(133x4) cpu and considering
your multiplier shows "12x", it's probably a safe bet you have a
mobile chip...

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_frm/thread/32b31feb6c4beca6/1da7bf9d0bc50989

> I never tried the motherboard multiplier modification. My mobile CPU has
> been running fine together with my P4P800SE (FSB200/x12/2.4Ghz/Vcore1.6).

I found some posts, one in German, another in an oriental language,
but I cannot tell from those, if anyone has succeeded in doing a
GHI# hack or not. At least this Intel doc, documents how to add
logic to a desktop chipset, to allow running a mobile at full
speed. I find their method of connecting 3.3V logic to the
1.5V interfaces, interesting... Motherboard manufacturers
never add programmable logic to motherboards, so don't expect
to find this kind of support on a desktop motherboard. I
still think a manual solution with a resistor and switch
will work.