RAID 0+1 on K8N

I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I would
go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports RAID 0, 1,
0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm thinking that
I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses the PATA ports to
mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is that just a typo?

Paul

Splendid

In article <cAoLe.59892$B52.16615@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
"news-server.insight.rr.com" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I would
> go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports RAID 0, 1,
> 0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm thinking that
> I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses the PATA ports to
> mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is that just a typo?

In the BIOS, try "RAID Option ROM" [Enabled].

According to the manual, six additional items will appear.
They are the four IDE disks and two SATA disks on the Southbridge
interfaces. Any of those drives appear to be usable as 0+1,
so the best config would be one IDE drive on each IDE cable,
and a pair of SATA disks.

Paul

In article <cAoLe.59892$B52.16615@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
ocbwilg@yahoo.com says...
> I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I would
> go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports RAID 0, 1,
> 0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm thinking that
> I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses the PATA ports to
> mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is that just a typo?

Many of the older SATA and IDE RAID combo boards use 2 SATA and then 2
IDE for RAID 0+1

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi,
Raid 0 and 1 only use 2 drives.
Raid 5 uses 3 or more drives.

Raid 0 is stripped across both drives, if one drive fails the system and
data has to be re-installed after replaceing the defective drive.
This is the fastest of the two options.

Raid 1 is when the 2 drives are mirrored, so that if one drive fails the
raid array can rebuild when a defective drive is replaced.
this is the slowest of the two options.

"news-server.insight.rr.com" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I would
>go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports RAID 0,
>1, 0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm thinking
>that I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses the PATA ports
>to mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is that just a typo?

Great, but I don't remember anyone asking for an explanation of RAID levels.

Steve

"pete" <petefa@f2s.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Raid 0 and 1 only use 2 drives.
> Raid 5 uses 3 or more drives.
>
> Raid 0 is stripped across both drives, if one drive fails the system and
> data has to be re-installed after replaceing the defective drive.
> This is the fastest of the two options.
>
> Raid 1 is when the 2 drives are mirrored, so that if one drive fails the
> raid array can rebuild when a defective drive is replaced.
> this is the slowest of the two options.
>

> "news-server.insight.rr.com" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I would
>>go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports RAID 0,
>>1, 0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm thinking
>>that I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses the PATA
>>ports to mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is that just
>>a typo?

"pete" <petefa@f2s.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Raid 0 and 1 only use 2 drives.
> Raid 5 uses 3 or more drives.
>
> Raid 0 is stripped across both drives, if one drive fails the system and
> data has to be re-installed after replaceing the defective drive.
> This is the fastest of the two options.
>
> Raid 1 is when the 2 drives are mirrored, so that if one drive fails the
> raid array can rebuild when a defective drive is replaced.
> this is the slowest of the two options.
All true. However he is asking about Raid 0+1, which is a two pairs of
striped drives, mirrored together, which requires four drives, and is the
'favoured' form for many applications.

> "news-server.insight.rr.com" <ocbwilg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have an ASUS K8N, not the SE Deluxe version and am wondering how I
>>would go about setting up RAID 0+1. The manual states that it supports
>>RAID 0, 1, 0+1 and JBOD, but it only has 2 SATA ports on the board. I'm
>>thinking that I would need at least 4 ports to get 0+1 unless it uses
>>the PATA ports to mirror or something weird like that. Am I crazy or is
>>that just a typo?
I haven't looked at the K8N on this, but several systems do allow the
standard ATA ports to be used this way.

Best Wishes

"Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I haven't looked at the K8N on this, but several systems do allow the
> standard ATA ports to be used this way.
>
> Best Wishes

Thanks.