A7V266-E boot up failure.

Hello hope someone might be able to help

working on a relative's computer here's the story... the boyfriend cleaned
the cpu fan.. now on boot up hard drive are not found, tried new know
working cable still no go, tried another hard drive no go, have checked the
power supply to the drives and is ok. Do not get any beep failure on the way
in.. I'm thinking mother board failure...but hoping it's not. as she as no
extra funds for a replacement..

Regards Dana

Paul

Splendid

In article <o6sLe.178004$HI.25587@edtnps84>, "D Cuvelier"
<CuvelierD@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hello hope someone might be able to help
>
> working on a relative's computer here's the story... the boyfriend cleaned
> the cpu fan.. now on boot up hard drive are not found, tried new know
> working cable still no go, tried another hard drive no go, have checked the
> power supply to the drives and is ok. Do not get any beep failure on the way
> in.. I'm thinking mother board failure...but hoping it's not. as she as no
> extra funds for a replacement..
>
> Regards Dana

If the board has any remaining time on the 3 year warranty,
perhaps you can RMA ? At least then the price will be shipping.

Before giving up on the board, do a "cardboard test". Remove the
motherboard from the case, and set it on top of a thick telephone
book. That will leave room for the PCI and AGP faceplates to hang
below motherboard level. Pull the power supply and set it up on the
table next to the board. This will eliminate shorting to the
bottom of the motherboard as the source of problems. It will also
allow you to inspect for visual damage a bit better.

Perhaps in the process of "cleaning", a screwdriver slipped and
dinged a track on the board ?

Using "dust-off" or other compressed air in a can products is
a no-no. The gas in the can is very dry (otherwise the orifice
would freeze up), and the stream of air can build up static
electricity. It is also possible for a low temperature
(below freezing) to develop where the air hits the board.

Paul