keep getting disconnected

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
February 7, 2005 8:59:02 PM

i have a problem with my wireless connection. All of a sudden it's started
to say that my network isn't in range then about 30 seconds later it connects
back but only for about a minute or so at most and then it's gone again. Any
ideas on what's going on?

More about : disconnected

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 8, 2005 5:12:31 AM

see my msg previous

mike

"drifter" <drifter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have a problem with my wireless connection. All of a sudden it's
started
> to say that my network isn't in range then about 30 seconds later it
connects
> back but only for about a minute or so at most and then it's gone again.
Any
> ideas on what's going on?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 8, 2005 11:24:43 PM

Make sure you have 802.1x authentication disabled for your wireless
connextion.
1. Double Click on your wireless network connection in the system tray
2. Click on Properties
3. Click on the Wireless Networks Tab
4. In the Prefered Networks window, Click on your Network
5. Click on Properties
6. Click on the Authentication Tab
7. Uncheck the box next to Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this
network
8. Click OK

That should do it.

Robert....
"drifter" <drifter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a problem with my wireless connection. All of a sudden it's started
> to say that my network isn't in range then about 30 seconds later it
> connects
> back but only for about a minute or so at most and then it's gone again.
> Any
> ideas on what's going on?
Related resources
February 15, 2005 1:43:31 PM

I'm having the same problem and it started all of the
sudden! The problem is intermitten and some days doesn't
occur at all, there's no rhyme or reason that I can see.
I read the advice you were given and checked my settings
but it didn't apply (802.1x Authentication was not
enabled.) Any other things I can look into?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 15, 2005 8:26:02 PM

If it started "All of a sudden" then look for something NEW in the area that
is generating interference or blocking the signal.

Try changing channels, but if that does not get rid of the problem then you
need to look for things like wireless telephones, other wireless networks,
improperly shielded electric motors, microwave ovens, bad ballast on a
fluorescent light, kid with a wireless remote-control toy, etc. Also look
for something that is coming between you and the access point that might be
blocking the signal. Look for things like something metallic, something
electronic or electrical, something with wires, even mylar balloons (someone
here got a mylar balloon bouquet for Valentines Day - they are really pretty
but they really screw up the wireless signal at her desk!).

Good Luck,
--
William L. Whipple
EZine.Com

"JamesP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem and it started all of the
> sudden! The problem is intermitten and some days doesn't
> occur at all, there's no rhyme or reason that I can see.
> I read the advice you were given and checked my settings
> but it didn't apply (802.1x Authentication was not
> enabled.) Any other things I can look into?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 15, 2005 11:32:20 PM

interference, change channel.