USB plug-n-play fails on Bluetooth dongle upgrade

Tags:
  • Linksys
  • Bluetooth
  • Windows XP
September 16, 2004 1:21:08 AM

I uninstalled (from Add/Remove SW) a Kensington bluetooth (class 2)
USB adapter (model 33085) and later tried to install a bluetooth
(Class 1) LinkSys USB adapter (model USBBT100). The new adapter does
not install properly because the "Found New Hardware Wizard" does not
run. Tech support for Linksys says I need to clean the registry and
completely remove all remnants of the drivers and support files before
installing the new device.

Thanks for nothing Linksys! There's dozens of entries with "bluetooth"
in the registry and many of them can't be deleted (are they locked or
what?).

Does this have something to do with the fact that both the old and new
adapters probably use the same internal chipset and a similar (same
vendor) driver set?

- Dan C.

More about : usb plug play fails bluetooth dongle upgrade

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:56:23 AM

The Linksys USBBT100 works perfectly with the SP2 BT drivers (I have this
very same dongle).

Show all your hidden devices and remove them before attempting to install
the Linksys BT dongle.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Dan Caputi" <dcaputi@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I uninstalled (from Add/Remove SW) a Kensington bluetooth (class 2)
> USB adapter (model 33085) and later tried to install a bluetooth
> (Class 1) LinkSys USB adapter (model USBBT100). The new adapter does
> not install properly because the "Found New Hardware Wizard" does not
> run. Tech support for Linksys says I need to clean the registry and
> completely remove all remnants of the drivers and support files before
> installing the new device.
>
> Thanks for nothing Linksys! There's dozens of entries with "bluetooth"
> in the registry and many of them can't be deleted (are they locked or
> what?).
>
> Does this have something to do with the fact that both the old and new
> adapters probably use the same internal chipset and a similar (same
> vendor) driver set?
>
> - Dan C.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:24:00 AM

After spending many hours and many phone calls to Linksys tech
support, I decided that they are not capable of supporting this
device. The last tech I spoke to had me searching the registry for
"bluetooth" and had no idea what she was looking for. None of the 3
first level nor 3 second level techs had ever suggested I show hidden
devices in the DM. Unfortunately I had to return the thing so I would
not risk losing my 50 bucks. I'm tempted to buy it back again and give
it one more try with SP2 and hidden devices removed.

I'll update this thread if and when that happens...

- Dan C.

dcaputi@optonline.net (Dan Caputi) wrote in message news:<fb14d331.0409152021.436508d6@posting.google.com>...
> I uninstalled (from Add/Remove SW) a Kensington bluetooth (class 2)
> USB adapter (model 33085) and later tried to install a bluetooth
> (Class 1) LinkSys USB adapter (model USBBT100). The new adapter does
> not install properly because the "Found New Hardware Wizard" does not
> run. Tech support for Linksys says I need to clean the registry and
> completely remove all remnants of the drivers and support files before
> installing the new device.
>
> Thanks for nothing Linksys! There's dozens of entries with "bluetooth"
> in the registry and many of them can't be deleted (are they locked or
> what?).
>
> Does this have something to do with the fact that both the old and new
> adapters probably use the same internal chipset and a similar (same
> vendor) driver set?
>
> - Dan C.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:26:27 AM

To save reading this thread from the beginning, here's the short of
it: I tried to upgrade my USB BT adapter from a class 2 Kensington to
a class 1 Linksys. The LS install completes without errors (XP reports
that its ready to use) but the device is not seen by the BT applet.
Linksys tech-suppport has been a TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME!!! They've had
me try everything short of re-installing XP to try and get the damn
thing to work but no such luck.

And now here's where I stand with this nightmare:

Yes! the SP2 (Generic Bluetooth Radio) drivers work with the Linksys
BUT it does NOT provide the Network Access service (I need that to
network my Palm PDA). So now I'm determined to get the Linksys OEM
Cambridge Silicon drivers to work.

How do I force XP to run the "found new hardware" wizard? - That seems
to be the secret ingredient in the install... it runs every time on my
desktop PC but never on the problem ridden Thinkpad (I've been
installing and uninstalling these dongles on every PC I can get my
hands on). The OEM drivers work fine so long as the wizard runs.

I'm sure if I re-installed XP it would work but I don't want to do
that and I don't have an appropriate restore point and I've tried
ripping bluetooth stuff from the registry so I'm not sure what to try
next...

Any ideas?

- Dan C.

!