Asus CUSL2 rev 1.02 ,BIOS rev 1001.A

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 15, 2005 11:07:55 PM

hi
1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard disk
Will the motherboard support?
The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features support for
ultra DMA 100.

1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the board....then
a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
b) will there be a loss in performance ?

2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
80GB hard drive .

Thank You for the help

Urak
August 15, 2005 11:07:56 PM

In article <4300779d$1_1@news.tm.net.my>, "Fisher" <uraks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi
> 1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard disk
> Will the motherboard support?
> The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features support for
> ultra DMA 100.
>
> 1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the board....then
> a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
> b) will there be a loss in performance ?
>
> 2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
> 80GB hard drive .
>
> Thank You for the help
>
> Urak

With a recent enough BIOS, the CUSL2 will handle a disk larger
than 128GB, according to this:

http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.h...

Simply try the new disk on the motherboard, and see if the total
80GB is reported. If it is not, then a BIOS upgrade should
help. Go to

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLang...

type in CUSL2, select the right board, then click "BIOS"
to get a list of available BIOS.

The ATA standard rates are backward compatible. You may
connect an ATA133 disk drive to an ATA100 controller. It
will still work.

HTH,
Paul
August 16, 2005 6:22:15 PM

Thanks paul..
I just wanted to know fi ATA133 drive will work with ATA 100
controller..that was my main worry.
I will get a ATA133 maxtor or segate drive..
Thanks once again.

fisher
> In article <4300779d$1_1@news.tm.net.my>, "Fisher" <uraks@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> hi
>> 1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard disk
>> Will the motherboard support?
>> The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features support
>> for
>> ultra DMA 100.
>>
>> 1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the board....then
>> a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
>> b) will there be a loss in performance ?
>>
>> 2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
>> 80GB hard drive .
>>
>> Thank You for the help
>>
>> Urak
>
> With a recent enough BIOS, the CUSL2 will handle a disk larger
> than 128GB, according to this:
>
> http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.h...
>
> Simply try the new disk on the motherboard, and see if the total
> 80GB is reported. If it is not, then a BIOS upgrade should
> help. Go to
>
> http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLang...
>
> type in CUSL2, select the right board, then click "BIOS"
> to get a list of available BIOS.
>
> The ATA standard rates are backward compatible. You may
> connect an ATA133 disk drive to an ATA100 controller. It
> will still work.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2005 1:20:07 AM

Fisher schrieb:

> Thanks paul..
> I just wanted to know fi ATA133 drive will work with ATA 100
> controller..that was my main worry.

That is the least problematic part. Besides, with the kind of drives
you're considering, it doesn't matter whether the drive supports up to
UDMA100 or UDMA133, as long as the other parameters (data density,
access time, firmware optimization etc.) are up to par.

> I will get a ATA133 maxtor or segate drive..

Do *not* buy a DiamondMax Plus 9 if you value your data. You may want to
consider a Samsung instead (SP0812N).

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

"" wrote:
> hi
> 1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard
> disk
> Will the motherboard support?
> The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features
> support for
> ultra DMA 100.
>
> 1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the
> board....then
> a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
> b) will there be a loss in performance ?
>
> 2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
> 80GB hard drive .
>
> Thank You for the help
>
> Urak

Are you actually thinking about a Maxtor drive?
It was a while ago but from memory Maxtor have a utility to set the
drive up for the ATA 100 application. Not sure about 2005 Maxtor
drives

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-CUSL2-rev-02-BIOS-re...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=306305
!