Asus CUSL2 rev 1.02 ,BIOS rev 1001.A

hi
1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard disk
Will the motherboard support?
The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features support for
ultra DMA 100.

1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the board....then
a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
b) will there be a loss in performance ?

2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
80GB hard drive .

Thank You for the help

Urak
4 answers Last reply
More about asus cusl2 bios 1001

    In article <4300779d$1_1@news.tm.net.my>, "Fisher" <uraks@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > hi
    > 1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard disk
    > Will the motherboard support?
    > The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features support for
    > ultra DMA 100.
    >
    > 1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the board....then
    > a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
    > b) will there be a loss in performance ?
    >
    > 2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
    > 80GB hard drive .
    >
    > Thank You for the help
    >
    > Urak

    With a recent enough BIOS, the CUSL2 will handle a disk larger
    than 128GB, according to this:

    http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm

    Simply try the new disk on the motherboard, and see if the total
    80GB is reported. If it is not, then a BIOS upgrade should
    help. Go to

    http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    type in CUSL2, select the right board, then click "BIOS"
    to get a list of available BIOS.

    The ATA standard rates are backward compatible. You may
    connect an ATA133 disk drive to an ATA100 controller. It
    will still work.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Thanks paul..
    I just wanted to know fi ATA133 drive will work with ATA 100
    controller..that was my main worry.
    I will get a ATA133 maxtor or segate drive..
    Thanks once again.

    fisher

    Fisher schrieb:

    > Thanks paul..
    > I just wanted to know fi ATA133 drive will work with ATA 100
    > controller..that was my main worry.

    That is the least problematic part. Besides, with the kind of drives
    you're considering, it doesn't matter whether the drive supports up to
    UDMA100 or UDMA133, as long as the other parameters (data density,
    access time, firmware optimization etc.) are up to par.

    > I will get a ATA133 maxtor or segate drive..

    Do *not* buy a DiamondMax Plus 9 if you value your data. You may want to
    consider a Samsung instead (SP0812N).

    Stephan
    --
    Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
    PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

    "" wrote:
    > hi
    > 1) I intend to buy a ATA 133 7200 rpm 8MB cache 80GB. hard
    > disk
    > Will the motherboard support?
    > The manual reads as: The I/O controller hub 2 (ICH2) features
    > support for
    > ultra DMA 100.
    >
    > 1.1) If I connect this ATA 133 hard disk of 80GB to the
    > board....then
    > a) will the bios read the capacity as 80gb or lower?
    > b) will there be a loss in performance ?
    >
    > 2.) Or Should I buy a ATA 100 7200 rpm 8MB cache
    > 80GB hard drive .
    >
    > Thank You for the help
    >
    > Urak

    Are you actually thinking about a Maxtor drive?
    It was a while ago but from memory Maxtor have a utility to set the
    drive up for the ATA 100 application. Not sure about 2005 Maxtor
    drives

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-CUSL2-rev-02-BIOS-rev-1001-ftopict60533.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=306305

Asus Motherboards