a8v-e deluxe mobo memory

I have a stick of 512mb ram pc3200 ,installed on this board ,but strangly
enough ,my ram only works in memory moduale 3 (blue strip) ..

when i try to install it in bank one or 2 my system wont boot ????.only
boots in bank 3 and 4 ...could this be because of quality of ram or that is
double sided ..thnx

"Steve lovenjak" <stevelovenjak@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I have a stick of 512mb ram pc3200 ,installed on this board ,but strangly
>enough ,my ram only works in memory moduale 3 (blue strip) ..
>
> when i try to install it in bank one or 2 my system wont boot ????.only
> boots in bank 3 and 4 ...could this be because of quality of ram or that
> is double sided ..thnx

The Deluxe version comes with a manual to, doesn't it?

Ken

Paul

Splendid

In article <f72dnZ2dnZ2-mLuBnZ2dne52nd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@rogers.com>,
"Steve lovenjak" <stevelovenjak@rogers.com> wrote:

> I have a stick of 512mb ram pc3200 ,installed on this board ,but strangly
> enough ,my ram only works in memory moduale 3 (blue strip) ..
>
> when i try to install it in bank one or 2 my system wont boot ????.only
> boots in bank 3 and 4 ...could this be because of quality of ram or that is
> double sided ..thnx

This is a feature of your processor. Prior to Venice Revision E
processors, the B1 and B2 slots are on the "primary" 64 bit bus.
The A1 and A2 slots are only to be used when running in dual
channel mode. If you have two matched sticks, you could place
them in A1 and B1, for example. If the sticks do not match,
install them in B1 and B2, which is the "single channel" bus.
Venice corrects this fixation with the B bus, which the earlier
processors had.

Before Venice (like Clawhammer, Newcastle, Winchester)

1 stick - place in B1 or B2.
2 sticks - place in B1 and B2, for single channel mode.
If sticks are matched, place in A1&B1 or try A2&B2
3 sticks - invalid configuration
4 sticks - must be two matched pairs. If the sticks do not
match, some DIMMs will be ignored, or the computer
will not post. Many users have trouble, even when
they follow the rules to the letter. Set memory
speed to DDR333 first, and then install the second
pair. It might POST for you.

Venice or later:

1,2,3, or 4 sticks work. A and B slots have equal qualities
(no more "B is king").
If sticks do not match, processor memory controller runs in
single channel mode.
If 2 or 4 sticks are installed in matched pairs, in slot
pairs A1&B1 and A2&B2, the BIOS should use dual channel mode.
With 3 sticks, only single channel mode is possible.

The Asus BIOS still does not work properly with respect to
all of these options. You may get a surprise, depending on
what mix of DIMMs you try. Consult this document, as it
explains the memory controller from AMD's perspective -
this is full of technical jargon, and is hard to read.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF

Having to explain all this stuff to customers, must drive
Asus phone support crazy :)

Paul

Andrew

> In article <f72dnZ2dnZ2-mLuBnZ2dne52nd6dnZ2dRVn-zp2dnZ0@rogers.com>,
> "Steve lovenjak" <stevelovenjak@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a stick of 512mb ram pc3200 ,installed on this board ,but strangly
>> enough ,my ram only works in memory moduale 3 (blue strip) ..
>>
>> when i try to install it in bank one or 2 my system wont boot ????.only
>> boots in bank 3 and 4 ...could this be because of quality of ram or that
>> is
>> double sided ..thnx
>
> This is a feature of your processor. Prior to Venice Revision E
> processors, the B1 and B2 slots are on the "primary" 64 bit bus.
> The A1 and A2 slots are only to be used when running in dual
> channel mode. If you have two matched sticks, you could place
> them in A1 and B1, for example. If the sticks do not match,
> install them in B1 and B2, which is the "single channel" bus.
> Venice corrects this fixation with the B bus, which the earlier
> processors had.
>
> Before Venice (like Clawhammer, Newcastle, Winchester)
>
> 1 stick - place in B1 or B2.
> 2 sticks - place in B1 and B2, for single channel mode.
> If sticks are matched, place in A1&B1 or try A2&B2
> 3 sticks - invalid configuration
> 4 sticks - must be two matched pairs. If the sticks do not
> match, some DIMMs will be ignored, or the computer
> will not post. Many users have trouble, even when
> they follow the rules to the letter. Set memory
> speed to DDR333 first, and then install the second
> pair. It might POST for you.
>
> Venice or later:
>
> 1,2,3, or 4 sticks work. A and B slots have equal qualities
> (no more "B is king").
> If sticks do not match, processor memory controller runs in
> single channel mode.
> If 2 or 4 sticks are installed in matched pairs, in slot
> pairs A1&B1 and A2&B2, the BIOS should use dual channel mode.
> With 3 sticks, only single channel mode is possible.
>
> The Asus BIOS still does not work properly with respect to
> all of these options. You may get a surprise, depending on
> what mix of DIMMs you try. Consult this document, as it
> explains the memory controller from AMD's perspective -
> this is full of technical jargon, and is hard to read.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF
>
> Having to explain all this stuff to customers, must drive
> Asus phone support crazy :)
>
> Paul

To be fair to the OP the manual for this motherboard does not make it that
clear that Slot 3 must be populated. It caught me out!

Andy

"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> To be fair to the OP the manual for this motherboard does not make it that
> clear that Slot 3 must be populated. It caught me out!
>
> Andy

Page 1-15

Section 1.7.2 Memory Configurations

"When using one DDR DIMM modules, install into
DIMM_B1 slot only"

Seems clear to me.

Luck;
Ken