System freeze on file copy

Ever since installing a brand new seagate 160GB SATA harddrive, and
incidentally also installing SP2 right on top of it, i have been unable to
copy certain files of random types and sizes, also randomly spread throughout
all of my harddrives from one physical harddrive to another.
if i try, the system freezes after reaching a certain point (this is always
the same point for the individual file), sometimes giving a "bad parameter
error" before the crash.
OK, that first paragraph was kind of long, so i'll just restate that I
cannot copy a certain amount of files from one physical hard drive to
another. They can be copied from logical partition to logical partition no
problem, however.
I can't copy them to removable media such as floppies and jaz disks either.
I have 2 normal U-ATA harddrives, 1 SATA HD, 1 RAID 1.5 array (2xWD 60gb)
and 2 SCSI UW harddrives.
The problem happens on ALL hard drives. And ONLY when copying from one
PHYSICAL harddrive to another.
The JAZ drive is connected through the SCSI controller. And it is also
affected.
This is frustrating the hell out of me as I am unable to back up any of the
affected files (some of which are movies, some are audio, some are program
files, others are just .txt and .doc files).
However (and this is the most puzzling part) I can both access and copy and
even move those very same files if I connect through another computer on the
LAN!
How can it be that I can remotely manipulate files in ways that would make
the make the computer crash when locally done on the system?

My system:
OS: WinXP SP2 (fully patched, except for .NET 1.1)
CPU: AMD Barton XP 2500+ (temp: 33C - 46C)
Mobo: DFI LANPARTY NFII Ultra (latest drivers and BIOS, temp: 29C - 35C)
RAM: 2xInfineon 512 MB PC3200, dual channel
Video: Club 3D Radeon 9800pro 128 MB (latest omega drivers, temp: 24C-33C)

Harddrives:
1 Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA
1 Seagate Barracuda 80 GB ATA-100
2 Western Digital 60GB ATA-100, RAID 1.5
1 Quantum Atlas II 10 GB SCSI u160
1 Seagate Barracuda 18XL 18.3 GB SCSI u160

Expansion cards:
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller (latest BIOS)
Videologic Sonic Fury soundcard (latest drivers)
Terratec EWX 24/96 (latest drivers)

Removable Media:
Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A CD burner
Iomega JAZ external SCSI
3.5' Floppy drive

"Mr Horse" <flowerpowerDELETECAPS@industrial.dk> wrote in message
> Ever since installing a brand new seagate 160GB SATA harddrive, and
> incidentally also installing SP2 right on top of it, i have been unable to
> copy certain files of random types and sizes, also randomly spread
throughout
> all of my harddrives from one physical harddrive to another.
> if i try, the system freezes after reaching a certain point (this is
always
> the same point for the individual file), sometimes giving a "bad parameter
> error" before the crash.
> OK, that first paragraph was kind of long, so i'll just restate that I
> cannot copy a certain amount of files from one physical hard drive to
> another. They can be copied from logical partition to logical partition no
> problem, however.
> I can't copy them to removable media such as floppies and jaz disks
either.
> I have 2 normal U-ATA harddrives, 1 SATA HD, 1 RAID 1.5 array (2xWD 60gb)
> and 2 SCSI UW harddrives.
> The problem happens on ALL hard drives. And ONLY when copying from one
> PHYSICAL harddrive to another.
> The JAZ drive is connected through the SCSI controller. And it is also
> affected.
> This is frustrating the hell out of me as I am unable to back up any of
the
> affected files (some of which are movies, some are audio, some are program
> files, others are just .txt and .doc files).
> However (and this is the most puzzling part) I can both access and copy
and
> even move those very same files if I connect through another computer on
the
> LAN!
> How can it be that I can remotely manipulate files in ways that would make
> the make the computer crash when locally done on the system?
>
> My system:
> OS: WinXP SP2 (fully patched, except for .NET 1.1)
> CPU: AMD Barton XP 2500+ (temp: 33C - 46C)
> Mobo: DFI LANPARTY NFII Ultra (latest drivers and BIOS, temp: 29C - 35C)
> RAM: 2xInfineon 512 MB PC3200, dual channel
> Video: Club 3D Radeon 9800pro 128 MB (latest omega drivers, temp: 24C-33C)
>
> Harddrives:
> 1 Seagate Barracuda 160GB SATA
> 1 Seagate Barracuda 80 GB ATA-100
> 2 Western Digital 60GB ATA-100, RAID 1.5
> 1 Quantum Atlas II 10 GB SCSI u160
> 1 Seagate Barracuda 18XL 18.3 GB SCSI u160
>
> Expansion cards:
> Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller (latest BIOS)
> Videologic Sonic Fury soundcard (latest drivers)
> Terratec EWX 24/96 (latest drivers)
>
> Removable Media:
> Plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A CD burner
> Iomega JAZ external SCSI
> 3.5' Floppy drive

Check your Event Log!

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

(snip)
> Check your Event Log!

Event Log showed the following reoccurring error messages:

First (and most frequent error):
Event Source: nvatabus
(there were 10 of these seemingly occurring at each startup)
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Device slot returned an invalid status value. See data for detailed
information.

Data:
0000: 1b 00 0c 00 01 00 66 00 ......f.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 de c0 ......ÞÀ
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 01 01 01 00 65 00 de 10 ....e.Þ.
0030: ff 00 00 00 ÿ...

Second (recorded twice in the event log):
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

(says to replace the drive in question if this happens on a regular basis,
or do nothing. Drive D is the second partition of the newly acquired 160gb
SATA drive)

Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...¶.
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 5e 33 4f 02 00 00 00 .^3O....
0028: 1a 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 ."......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 00 00 d0 51 5f 85 ....Ã?Q_Â…
0058: 00 00 00 00 70 4e 5f 85 ....pN_Â…
0060: 02 00 00 00 af 99 27 01 ....¯™'.
0068: 28 00 01 27 99 af 00 00 (..'™¯..
0070: 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 @.......
0078: f0 00 06 00 00 00 00 0b ð.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 5a 01 00 00 ....Z...
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

nvatabus consistently reporting an error suggests that it's either the
onboard dual HDD controller, a bad SATA cable or the new harddrive.
If it's the cable, I can't check if it's not working unless i bring it to a
store or workshop as this is the only computer I have with an SATA controller.
If it's the harddrive itself, I can't check that either, for abovementioned
reasons.
If it's the motherboard then all the drives should work in other computers.
Which they do. However, I still can't check if the SATA drive works in other
computers.
So I guess it's narrowed down to either the SATA cable or the SATA drive
itself.
Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> (snip)
> > Check your Event Log!
>
> Event Log showed the following reoccurring error messages:
>
> First (and most frequent error):
> Event Source: nvatabus
> (there were 10 of these seemingly occurring at each startup)
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4
> Device slot returned an invalid status value. See data for detailed
> information.
>
> Data:
> 0000: 1b 00 0c 00 01 00 66 00 ......f.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 de c0 ......ÞÀ
> 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0028: 01 01 01 00 65 00 de 10 ....e.Þ.
> 0030: ff 00 00 00 ÿ...
>
> Second (recorded twice in the event log):
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Disk
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 51
> An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging
operation.

> (says to replace the drive in question if this happens on a regular basis,
> or do nothing. Drive D is the second partition of the newly acquired 160gb
> SATA drive)
>
> Data:
> 0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...¶.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
> 0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 5e 33 4f 02 00 00 00 .^3O....
> 0028: 1a 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 ."......
> 0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
> 0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
> 0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
> 0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
> 0050: 00 00 00 00 d0 51 5f 85 ....ÐQ_…
> 0058: 00 00 00 00 70 4e 5f 85 ....pN_…
> 0060: 02 00 00 00 af 99 27 01 ....¯™'.
> 0068: 28 00 01 27 99 af 00 00 (..'™¯..
> 0070: 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 @.......
> 0078: f0 00 06 00 00 00 00 0b ð.......
> 0080: 00 00 00 00 5a 01 00 00 ....Z...
> 0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>
> nvatabus consistently reporting an error suggests that it's either the
> onboard dual HDD controller, a bad SATA cable or the new harddrive.
> If it's the cable, I can't check if it's not working unless i bring it to
> store or workshop as this is the only computer I have with an SATA
controller.
> If it's the harddrive itself, I can't check that either, for
abovementioned
> reasons.
> If it's the motherboard then all the drives should work in other
computers.
> Which they do. However, I still can't check if the SATA drive works in
other
> computers.
> So I guess it's narrowed down to either the SATA cable or the SATA drive
> itself.
> Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

I would download & run the diagnostic tool that your drive
manufacturer makes available on his home site.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

(snip)
> I would download & run the diagnostic tool that your drive
> manufacturer makes available on his home site.

I just ran the Seatools diagnostic software. It showed errors with the file
system on all the seagate drives... but when checking with chkdsk, it reports
no errors.
Is there a different tool you would recommend for repairing hard drives,
partitions and file systems?

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> (snip)
> > I would download & run the diagnostic tool that your drive
> > manufacturer makes available on his home site.
>
> I just ran the Seatools diagnostic software. It showed errors with the
file
> system on all the seagate drives... but when checking with chkdsk, it
reports
> no errors.
> Is there a different tool you would recommend for repairing hard drives,
> partitions and file systems?

This is strange. I thought that the manufacturers' diagnostic tools
do not care about file systems, that they are in fact not even aware
of file systems: They will check a disk with NTFS partitions as
happily as a disk with a Unix-based file system. How else could
they provide a generic test? What are the verbatim error messages
you see?

I suspect that you have a serious disk problem, and that the disk
needs to be replaced.

Something makes me wonder about the drivers being used. I would suggest
these drivers (just released):

----
Nathan McNulty