XP Home and USB Flash Drive

SD

I just purchased a SanDisk Micro flash drive and it works perfectly on the
computers that I use at school, work, and my pc at home (All are running XP
Pro or 2000), but when I try to use it in my daughter's computer (running XP
Home) it does not work and is looking for drivers. It is my understanding
that drivers are not required when using this device with XP, but I went to
the manufacturer's web site and looked anyway. They have drivers for 98
which do not install on XP.

Anyone else had this problem?

This solves the problem for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297694

"SD" <SD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a SanDisk Micro flash drive and it works perfectly on the
> computers that I use at school, work, and my pc at home (All are running
> XP
> Pro or 2000), but when I try to use it in my daughter's computer (running
> XP
> Home) it does not work and is looking for drivers. It is my understanding
> that drivers are not required when using this device with XP, but I went
> the manufacturer's web site and looked anyway. They have drivers for 98
> which do not install on XP.
>
> Anyone else had this problem?

1.. Press Windows Button & Pause/Break to go to the System Properties (or
right click on My Computer and choose Properties, but the other way is more
fun.)
2.. Choose Device Manager.
3.. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section
4.. Right click and choose Properties of one that says something about PCI
bridge (I forget the exact name and after you fix the problem, this item
goes away. If you aren't sure, you try step 5 and 6 on all of the USB items
in that list.)
5.. Click on the Driver Tab (it's kinda slow loading).
6.. If the driver information on top says "Not found" or "Not installed"
then click Update Driver... and let it look for the driver itself (I didn't
need the XP CD but that might be because I keep a copy of it on my hard
drive just incase. You might need it, I don't know.)
7.. After it finds the driver, click Okay and USB should start working
immediately - no reboots needed!
http://www.dylangreene.com/blog.asp?blogID=292

Worked for me.

Some other references say you need XP SP1A or update to XP SP2 because they
have the USB updates.

"SD" <SD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a SanDisk Micro flash drive and it works perfectly on the
> computers that I use at school, work, and my pc at home (All are running
> XP
> Pro or 2000), but when I try to use it in my daughter's computer (running
> XP
> Home) it does not work and is looking for drivers. It is my understanding
> that drivers are not required when using this device with XP, but I went
> the manufacturer's web site and looked anyway. They have drivers for 98
> which do not install on XP.
>
> Anyone else had this problem?

SD

I'm running SP2, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks!