Write new Boot.ini ?

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001

I have 2 hard drives which are both bootable drives (XP
Pro & Win 2000) I got a new motherboard but this stupid
board does not give you the option of booting from
different hard drives. You can change boot sequence
between cd rom, usb, lan and hard drive, but only c: Is
it possible to change the boot.ini file to give you a
choice between the 2 hard drives. ( If you disconnect one
drive and set the jumper to master it boots fine, but I
don't want to have a permanent open computer)

Any help will be appreciated.

Actually, the one that is set as the Master (C: Drive) will contain the
boot.ini file that XP sees. You need to modify this one to allow
booting from the OS on the Slave (D: Drive). Here is a great source of
info on how to do this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

It should look something like this (I think) :) :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"
/fastdetect

----
Nathan McNulty