Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I keep getting a message to replace my hard drive. Is
there a way to mount a second drive and transfer all my
stuff (including XP) to it?
Dave

You may wish to visit the support website of the manufacturer of your
new hard drive and see if they have a free utility program that you can use to
accomplish this task. For example, if you have a new Western Digital drive,
you can download their free Data Lifeguard Tools which includes "drive-to-drive
copy capability" (Ref: http://support.wdc.com/download/).

Fujitsu
http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic

IBM and Hitachi
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Maxtor
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm

Seagate
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

Western Digital
http://support.wdc.com/download/
www.westerndigital.com

Or you can purchase Norton Ghost and create an "image"
of your old hard drive:

Norton Ghost 2003
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dave" wrote:

| I keep getting a message to replace my hard drive. Is
| there a way to mount a second drive and transfer all my
| stuff (including XP) to it?
| Dave

Western Digital drives have this software, written instructions, and cable
included in retail box versions ( not sure about OEM versions or if OEM
versions are even available). Current DLG Tools version is v 11.0 I believe
and is shipped with retail version as mentioned unless you get old stock. I
am sure retail box's for Maxtor, Seagate, etc. ship with there own versions
of disk cloning software as well. Check out specs and system requirements
on the drive manufacturers website regarding connection (EIDE,SATA etc.) and
disk size if you are looking for a drive bigger than 137 GB.

r.

P.S. act fast before it completely dies.

> You may wish to visit the support website of the manufacturer of your
> new hard drive and see if they have a free utility program that you can
> use to
> accomplish this task. For example, if you have a new Western Digital
> drive,
> you can download their free Data Lifeguard Tools which includes
> "drive-to-drive
> copy capability" (Ref: http://support.wdc.com/download/).
>
> Fujitsu
> http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
>
> IBM and Hitachi
> http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
>
> Maxtor
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm
>
> Seagate
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
>
> Western Digital
> http://support.wdc.com/download/
> www.westerndigital.com
>
> Or you can purchase Norton Ghost and create an "image"
> of your old hard drive:
>
> Norton Ghost 2003
> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> | I keep getting a message to replace my hard drive. Is
> | there a way to mount a second drive and transfer all my
> | stuff (including XP) to it?
> | Dave

Hello

You can go out purcahse Norton's Ghost and do a mirror
image of your current drive and then ghost that data to the new
harddrive.

Or you can just relaod windows on the new drive and just copy
your data over, however this takes lonegr and you will have to
re-install all apps and data.

alvin

dave wrote:

> I keep getting a message to replace my hard drive. Is
> there a way to mount a second drive and transfer all my
> stuff (including XP) to it?
> Dave

Brings up an interesting question.

Why does windows not include any partition management tools?

I've <NEVER> replaced a drive with one of the same size, since my first hard
drive, in '84.
Every time I do a replacement, the larger space suggests a re-organization
of the drive partitions.

Unfortunately, I can either do a full image copy, which usually leaves the C
drive very short on space, or I can do a shred and re-install, which is very
time consuming.. Or, I can buy someone's very pricey partition tools, for a
very infrequent task, at about 1/3 the cost of the hard drive.

Every time I need to use them, I need to buy new partition tools, because
the previous versions won't work with the new schemes/sizes/etc.

Currently, I run partitions as follows:

C: 10G Windows system, drivers, and programs that INSIST on installing to
C.
D: 120G Programs that are written by sane people.
E: 32G Engineering software and projects
F: 10G Special partition for one big project
G: 2.5G Windows swapfile
H: 0.5G Browser cache
I: 232G Bulk file storage

My other systems mirror at least C/D/E so that the same projects can be
ported between machines, without having to re-assign where all their files
live.

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Your option is to take it to a shop and pay through the nose so they can use
"their" partition tools.

Believe me, it's much cheaper to own your own partitioning software!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Dave VanHorn" <dvanhorn@cedar.net> wrote in message
> Brings up an interesting question.
>
> Why does windows not include any partition management tools?
>
> I've <NEVER> replaced a drive with one of the same size, since my first
> hard drive, in '84.
> Every time I do a replacement, the larger space suggests a re-organization
> of the drive partitions.
>
> Unfortunately, I can either do a full image copy, which usually leaves the
> C drive very short on space, or I can do a shred and re-install, which is
> very time consuming.. Or, I can buy someone's very pricey partition tools,
> for a very infrequent task, at about 1/3 the cost of the hard drive.
>
> Every time I need to use them, I need to buy new partition tools, because
> the previous versions won't work with the new schemes/sizes/etc.
>
> Currently, I run partitions as follows:
>
> C: 10G Windows system, drivers, and programs that INSIST on installing to
> C.
> D: 120G Programs that are written by sane people.
> E: 32G Engineering software and projects
> F: 10G Special partition for one big project
> G: 2.5G Windows swapfile
> H: 0.5G Browser cache
> I: 232G Bulk file storage
>
> My other systems mirror at least C/D/E so that the same projects can be
> ported between machines, without having to re-assign where all their files
> live.
>
> --
> KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
> Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

> Your option is to take it to a shop and pay through the nose so they can
> use "their" partition tools.

Not an option. My non-disclosure agreements with my clients would prohibit
that, unless I spent a lot of time pulling their data off, and scrubbing the
drives beforehand.

So I reiterate, why does windows not come with partition management
software?

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Ch***T. Have you not heard or read about the antitrust lawsuit against
Microsoft? And of their "bundling" software that may put other companies out
of business?

--

>> Your option is to take it to a shop and pay through the nose so they can
>> use "their" partition tools.
>>

> Not an option. My non-disclosure agreements with my clients would
> prohibit that, unless I spent a lot of time pulling their data off, and
> scrubbing the drives beforehand.
>
> So I reiterate, why does windows not come with partition management
> software?
>
> --
> KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
> Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

> Ch***T.

Can't parse that..

> Have you not heard or read about the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft?
> And of their "bundling" software that may put other companies out of
> business?

What of it?

The partitions are a fundamental feature of the operating system, yet the OS
does not provide any way to really manage them. I'm not even sure why they
need actual partitions anyway, but maybe that will come in some far future
release.

XP expanded on what was provided by Fdisk, just a little bit, but not much.