PWR_FAN Asus Probe

Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <FGuMe.2106$ps5.49031@news1.mts.net>, "edde"
<waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:

> Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
> I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
> I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
> Thanks

The picture in section 4.5.4 of the manual shows CPU, CHA1, and
CHIP (chipset fan) are monitored. That means PWR_FAN is just a
source of +12V for a fan.

To prove the interface on the PSU works, try connecting the
PSU to the CHA1 header. That will at least tell you there is
a working RPM signal on the cable.

As for your monitor chip, it has up to five fan speed channels.
But the tachometer input signals for channels 4 and 5, use the
same pins as the GAME connector (joystick interface). Since
your motherboard does have a GAME header, that means only three
fan monitor channels are available for fans. And since the BIOS
lists three channels (CPU, CHA1, CHIP), it means there are
no "hidden" fan speed channels in reserve, waiting to be
unleashed.

http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/file/pc/IT8712F_V0.8.2.pdf

HTH,
Paul

Wow, thanks alot.
Hm, oh, I thought pwr_fan connector is where the psu fan monitor is supposed
to be plugged, hence the label.
The problem with CHA1 is that it's located WAY down at the bottom of the
board.
The fan monitor cable of the PSU won't reach that far.
Great info though, and it makes sense.

> In article <FGuMe.2106$ps5.49031@news1.mts.net>, "edde"
> <waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so
>> that
>> I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
>> I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
>> Thanks
>
> The picture in section 4.5.4 of the manual shows CPU, CHA1, and
> CHIP (chipset fan) are monitored. That means PWR_FAN is just a
> source of +12V for a fan.
>
> To prove the interface on the PSU works, try connecting the
> PSU to the CHA1 header. That will at least tell you there is
> a working RPM signal on the cable.
>
> As for your monitor chip, it has up to five fan speed channels.
> But the tachometer input signals for channels 4 and 5, use the
> same pins as the GAME connector (joystick interface). Since
> your motherboard does have a GAME header, that means only three
> fan monitor channels are available for fans. And since the BIOS
> lists three channels (CPU, CHA1, CHIP), it means there are
> no "hidden" fan speed channels in reserve, waiting to be
> unleashed.
>
> http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/file/pc/IT8712F_V0.8.2.pdf
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <iuwMe.2123$ps5.49207@news1.mts.net>, "edde"
<waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:

> Wow, thanks alot.
> Hm, oh, I thought pwr_fan connector is where the psu fan
> monitor is supposed to be plugged, hence the label.
> The problem with CHA1 is that it's located WAY down at
> the bottom of the board. The fan monitor cable of the
> PSU won't reach that far. Great info though, and it
> makes sense.

Maybe they shouldn't have bothered putting the PWR_FAN
header on the board. It seems kinda strange, but this is
not the first board where that stuff doesn't line up
properly. There was one board, where you had to plug the
CPU fan, into a header other than CPU_FAN, so these
things happen.

Paul

milleron

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:32:36 -0500, "edde"
<waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
>I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
>I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
>Thanks

There is no way to get Probe, nVidia Monitor, or MBM 5 to read that
header. As Paul pointed out, Asus probably had to cannibalize a
connection to it for the game port or some other mobo device (Paul
will correct me if I'm misquoting him).
I suppose it'll supply power to a case fan, but I've never tested that
guess. No one can understand why Asus doesn't change its misleading
label.

Ron

milleron

So sorry to have posted this redundant stuff. I apologize for jumping
in before realizing that the question had already been answered. :-(

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:51:58 GMT, milleron
<millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:32:36 -0500, "edde"
><waver777@hotmail.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to get Asus Probe to show the PWR_FAN header reading so that
>>I can see the RPM's for my PSU?
>>I have an A8N_SLI Deluxe and Enermax 535w PSU.
>>Thanks
>>
>There is no way to get Probe, nVidia Monitor, or MBM 5 to read that
>header. As Paul pointed out, Asus probably had to cannibalize a
>connection to it for the game port or some other mobo device (Paul
>will correct me if I'm misquoting him).
>I suppose it'll supply power to a case fan, but I've never tested that
>guess. No one can understand why Asus doesn't change its misleading
>label.
>
>Ron

Ron