norm

I currently have a socket A MB...thinking about moving up to 2 GB DDR memory
(two 1GB sticks with at least DDR 400/3200). In a year or so I will be
upgrading to Socket 939 MB. What memory should I purchase that can be
carried over to the new MB and be use in my current MB.

thanks in advance for your suggestions
nc

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-1708050212280001@192.168.1.178>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> Try to buy RAM sticks that use 64Mx8 parts. The super-cheap
> DIMMs use 128Mx4, and I would avoid them. Who knows, maybe
> on Nforce2, a DIMM with 128Mx4 chips might only be half
> detected ?
>
> Paul

I found confirmation on an MSI web page - avoid the x4 memory:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=436&MODEL=MS-6570

"NOTE: nForce2 does not support x4 memory for 1GB but it
could support other density of dram chip such as
x 8, x16... "

Paul

In a year DDR2 memory will be the standard. Your current motherboard cannot
use DDR2 RAM.

--
DaveW

"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a socket A MB...thinking about moving up to 2 GB DDR
>memory (two 1GB sticks with at least DDR 400/3200). In a year or so I will
>be upgrading to Socket 939 MB. What memory should I purchase that can be
>carried over to the new MB and be use in my current MB.
>
> thanks in advance for your suggestions
> nc

norm

> In a year DDR2 memory will be the standard. Your current motherboard
> cannot use DDR2 RAM.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>>I currently have a socket A MB...thinking about moving up to 2 GB DDR
>>memory (two 1GB sticks with at least DDR 400/3200). In a year or so I will
>>be upgrading to Socket 939 MB. What memory should I purchase that can be
>>carried over to the new MB and be use in my current MB.
>>
>> thanks in advance for your suggestions
>> nc

Thanks for your response.....I appreciate the information.

I think, I'll sit tight for awhile and see if the industry changes to DDR2
that quickly.

What MB's are currently offering DDR2 as system memory?

Norm,
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
What O/S are you using? If you are limping along with Windows 9x (98, 98SE
or ME), you need to understand that it does not take well to huge amounts
( more than 1.5 GB is impossible, over 512 MB takes tweeking) of memory.
Second, DDR2 is coming. Unless you were going to purchase a board in the nex
few months, hold off until then.
Peace,
Paul
"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a socket A MB...thinking about moving up to 2 GB DDR
>memory (two 1GB sticks with at least DDR 400/3200). In a year or so I will
>be upgrading to Socket 939 MB. What memory should I purchase that can be
>carried over to the new MB and be use in my current MB.
>
> thanks in advance for your suggestions
> nc

Paul

Splendid

In article <GpkNe.66940$Ji.62520@lakeread02>, "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys!!
>
> I just couldn't resist, the money was burning a hole in my pocket.... I =
> purchased some "Patriot 2GB PC3200 DDR Dual Channel Memory".
>
> The S939 MB and DDR2 mermory will be there waiting when I get another =
> burning.....:) Maybe by then....I might see S939 MB's with DDR2 =
> slots....
>
> thanks

Post back how well it works. Whether you could run the Patriot
at DDR400 dual channel, at its rated timings. How much voltage
it needed. Whether it is Prime95 stable or not. Other people
might want to try some of that stuff :)

Paul

norm

> In article <GpkNe.66940$Ji.62520@lakeread02>, "Norm" <Here@here.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys!!
>>
>> I just couldn't resist, the money was burning a hole in my pocket.... I =
>> purchased some "Patriot 2GB PC3200 DDR Dual Channel Memory".
>>
>> The S939 MB and DDR2 mermory will be there waiting when I get another =
>> burning.....:) Maybe by then....I might see S939 MB's with DDR2 =
>> slots....
>>
>> thanks
>
> Post back how well it works. Whether you could run the Patriot
> at DDR400 dual channel, at its rated timings. How much voltage
> it needed. Whether it is Prime95 stable or not. Other people
> might want to try some of that stuff :)
>
> Paul

It's on back order...:-(

norm

>> In article <GpkNe.66940$Ji.62520@lakeread02>, "Norm" <Here@here.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys!!
>>>
>>> I just couldn't resist, the money was burning a hole in my pocket.... I
>>> =
>>> purchased some "Patriot 2GB PC3200 DDR Dual Channel Memory".
>>>
>>> The S939 MB and DDR2 mermory will be there waiting when I get another =
>>> burning.....:) Maybe by then....I might see S939 MB's with DDR2 =
>>> slots....
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> Post back how well it works. Whether you could run the Patriot
>> at DDR400 dual channel, at its rated timings. How much voltage
>> it needed. Whether it is Prime95 stable or not. Other people
>> might want to try some of that stuff :)
>>
>> Paul
>
> It's on back order...:-(

Canceled order...They have no idea when available

New idea....pocket still burning...:) Maybe a S939 with AGP