A8N-E Power on keyboard

Hi,

I can't get my Wake-on-keyboard to work. I've set the BIOS to wake when I
press "Spacebar", but nothing happens. Does it work for any of you guys
here?
I never had any problems with my old Asus P4C800 board.

Paul

Splendid

In article <dduh5n$1n2r$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
<borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't get my Wake-on-keyboard to work. I've set the BIOS to
> wake when I press "Spacebar", but nothing happens. Does it work
> for any of you guys here?
> I never had any problems with my old Asus P4C800 board.

For this to work, the keyboard needs power while the computer
is sleeping. Yours is one of the new motherboards that does
not have headers for setting the power options. There would
normally be a KBPWR header, and you would move the jumper
to the +5VSB setting, to get it to work.

That would suggest that all your USB ports and the PS/2
ports are now running from +5VSB. Do you have some way to
confirm that the keyboard is getting power when the computer
is sleeping ? Is there a LED on the keyboard that is still
glowing ?

Another way to confirm this, is if you have a PS/2 optical
mouse, look at the LED in the mouse, and see if it is still
lit when the computer is sleeping. That will tell you that
the PS/2 port is getting the power it needs.

Assuming your board has an ITE8712F Super I/O, there is
no question it has some Wake On Keyboard options. PDF
page 72 says it can look for certain simultaneous key presses
or a certain sequence of keys. To power on by mouse,
double clicking is one option.

http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/PC/Brief-IT8712_2.asp
http://www.iteusa.com/product_info/file/pc/IT8712F_V0.8.2.pdf

Whether all this good hardware works, is in the capable hands
of the Asus BIOS designers.

Paul

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> In article <dduh5n$1n2r$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
> <borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't get my Wake-on-keyboard to work. I've set the BIOS to
>> wake when I press "Spacebar", but nothing happens. Does it work
>> for any of you guys here?
>> I never had any problems with my old Asus P4C800 board.
>
> For this to work, the keyboard needs power while the computer
> is sleeping. Yours is one of the new motherboards that does
> not have headers for setting the power options. There would
> normally be a KBPWR header, and you would move the jumper
> to the +5VSB setting, to get it to work.
>
> That would suggest that all your USB ports and the PS/2
> ports are now running from +5VSB. Do you have some way to
> confirm that the keyboard is getting power when the computer
> is sleeping ? Is there a LED on the keyboard that is still
> glowing ?

I have a Logitech BlueTooth Desktop set.
When I press the keyboard, the bluetooth "hub" blinks, so the touch must be
"noticed" by the computer...

Paul

Splendid

In article <ddvm1e$26dj$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
<borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:

> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > In article <dduh5n$1n2r$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
> > <borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I can't get my Wake-on-keyboard to work. I've set the BIOS to
> >> wake when I press "Spacebar", but nothing happens. Does it work
> >> for any of you guys here?
> >> I never had any problems with my old Asus P4C800 board.
> >
> > For this to work, the keyboard needs power while the computer
> > is sleeping. Yours is one of the new motherboards that does
> > not have headers for setting the power options. There would
> > normally be a KBPWR header, and you would move the jumper
> > to the +5VSB setting, to get it to work.
> >
> > That would suggest that all your USB ports and the PS/2
> > ports are now running from +5VSB. Do you have some way to
> > confirm that the keyboard is getting power when the computer
> > is sleeping ? Is there a LED on the keyboard that is still
> > glowing ?
>
> I have a Logitech BlueTooth Desktop set.
> When I press the keyboard, the bluetooth "hub" blinks, so the touch must be
> "noticed" by the computer...

Are you telling me you have a wireless keyboard, and it is
plugged via USB ? The BIOS feature we are talking about
is "Wake on PS/2". The 8712F terminates the PS/2 connectors,
and it has waking feature for the two PS/2 connectors. Your
USB ports terminate in the Nforce4 chipset, and I have no idea
whether a wake feature is possible there or not. Certain
companies give little info on their chips, and Nvidia is
one of them.

This is all the info we get about Nforce4 Ultra.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20041015990644.html

Looking at this advert for a DFI board, wake from USB is
possible. Maybe it requires BIOS support, like setting up
the chip properly just before the system goes to sleep.
For your "wake on USB" question, perhaps you should phone
Asus tech support, and see if they think it might be possible
in the future. At least this proves the Nforce4 chipset
has the feature inside.

http://www.xpcgear.com/extremepcgear/lputnf4ultrad.html

"nForce4 Ultra (DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D)
Wake-On-Events include:
- Wake-On-PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse
- Wake-On-USB Keyboard/Mouse
- Wake-On-LAN
- RTC timer to power-on the system"

Is there any possibility of a setting for the USB ports
in the Device Manager ? If the BIOS doesn't explicitly support
the feature, perhaps there is a back door to get at it. For
example, maybe there is an ACPI hook for this.

> In article <ddvm1e$26dj$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
> <borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:
>
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse

>> > For this to work, the keyboard needs power while the computer
>> > is sleeping. Yours is one of the new motherboards that does
>> > not have headers for setting the power options. There would
>> > normally be a KBPWR header, and you would move the jumper
>> > to the +5VSB setting, to get it to work.
>> >
>> > That would suggest that all your USB ports and the PS/2
>> > ports are now running from +5VSB. Do you have some way to
>> > confirm that the keyboard is getting power when the computer
>> > is sleeping ? Is there a LED on the keyboard that is still
>> > glowing ?
>>
>> I have a Logitech BlueTooth Desktop set.
>> When I press the keyboard, the bluetooth "hub" blinks, so the touch must
>> be
>> "noticed" by the computer...
>
> Are you telling me you have a wireless keyboard, and it is
> plugged via USB ? The BIOS feature we are talking about
> is "Wake on PS/2". The 8712F terminates the PS/2 connectors,
> and it has waking feature for the two PS/2 connectors. Your
> USB ports terminate in the Nforce4 chipset, and I have no idea
> whether a wake feature is possible there or not. Certain
> companies give little info on their chips, and Nvidia is
> one of them.

It is also plugged in PS/2 (so it can be used in BIOS, DOS etc.), and as
I've said I had no problem on my old board (also with this Bluetooth
keyboard).

"BorreBoy" <borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote in message

> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> In article <ddvm1e$26dj$1@newsbin.cybercity.dk>, "BorreBoy"
>> <borre@xxxlucasfilm.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse

>>> I have a Logitech BlueTooth Desktop set.
>>> When I press the keyboard, the bluetooth "hub" blinks, so the touch must
>>> be
>>> "noticed" by the computer...
>>
>> Are you telling me you have a wireless keyboard, and it is
>> plugged via USB ? The BIOS feature we are talking about
>> is "Wake on PS/2". The 8712F terminates the PS/2 connectors,
>> and it has waking feature for the two PS/2 connectors. Your
>> USB ports terminate in the Nforce4 chipset, and I have no idea
>> whether a wake feature is possible there or not. Certain
>> companies give little info on their chips, and Nvidia is
>> one of them.
>
> It is also plugged in PS/2 (so it can be used in BIOS, DOS etc.), and as
> I've said I had no problem on my old board (also with this Bluetooth
> keyboard).

The A8N-E has the USB Legacy Support Enabled as default,
that could be a factor, maybe? Be sure to set the "Power on
by PS/2 Keyboard" to Enabled as it defaults to Disabled.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> The A8N-E has the USB Legacy Support Enabled as default,
> that could be a factor, maybe? Be sure to set the "Power on
> by PS/2 Keyboard" to Enabled as it defaults to Disabled.

It is enabled...

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> The A8N-E has the USB Legacy Support Enabled as default,
>> that could be a factor, maybe? Be sure to set the "Power on
>> by PS/2 Keyboard" to Enabled as it defaults to Disabled.
>
> It is enabled...

You might want to try it with the Legacy Support Disabled.

Luck;
Ken