Motherboard Upgrade=Reload XP?

I'm looking at upgrading my P4PE to a P4S800D-E motherboard. All other
hardware the same. Will I need to reload Windows XP (Pro, SP2) from
scratch (yuck) or will it allow me to update the chipset drivers (SiS vs.
Intel) during the first boot? Thanks.

Dave
17 answers Last reply
More about motherboard upgrade reload

    "Dave I." <daveri1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at upgrading my P4PE to a P4S800D-E motherboard. All other
    > hardware the same. Will I need to reload Windows XP (Pro, SP2) from
    > scratch (yuck) or will it allow me to update the chipset drivers (SiS vs.
    > Intel) during the first boot? Thanks.
    >
    > Dave

    Try it and see, you might get lucky...

    xman

    some say to do a repair install before you boot into XP..that way if
    anything is different XP will overwrite it

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:57:43 -0400, "dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote:

    >some say to do a repair install before you boot into XP..that way if
    >anything is different XP will overwrite it

    I've had good luck doing a repair install with a new MB transfer.
    It's pretty quick and so far has worked fine.

    I do back everything up first, though.

    No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you face
    ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW skrev:

    > No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    > motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    > reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you face
    > ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.

    Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to fix
    this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old hardware
    removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with XP????

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    ..
    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > DaveW skrev:
    >
    >> No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    >> motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    >> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >> face
    >> ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    >
    > Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    > NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to fix
    > this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old hardware
    > removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with XP????
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Don't listen to him. He always says the same things. The folks above have it
    right.
    Works most if the time anyways. Don't forget to backup just in case.

    "Kevin" <kwmw(nothanks)@storm.ca> wrote in

    > .
    > "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> DaveW skrev:
    >>
    >>> No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    >>> motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you
    >>> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
    >>> Otherwise you face
    >>> ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>
    >> Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    >> NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to
    >> fix this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old
    >> hardware removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with
    >> XP????
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    >> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >
    > Don't listen to him. He always says the same things. The folks above
    > have it right.
    > Works most if the time anyways. Don't forget to backup just in case.

    Thanks all for the help. I'll backup and try it. If it doesn't work, the
    worst that can happen is I'll have to reformat and reinstall anyway. I
    wonder if it would it make a difference if I were changing to another
    Intel chipset instead of SiS?

    Dave I

    > No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    > motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    > reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
    > face ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW

    Why are you always going on about formatting and reinstalling an OS
    everytime some hardware is changed? All that need be done is a repair
    install. You must be a sadist........:-)

    Ed

    "Kevin" <kwmw(nothanks)@storm.ca> wrote in message
    > .
    > "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    >> DaveW skrev:
    >>
    >>> No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    >>> motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    >>> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >>> face
    >>> ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>
    >> Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    >> NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to fix
    >> this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old hardware
    >> removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with XP????
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    >> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >
    > Don't listen to him. He always says the same things. The folks above have
    > it right.
    > Works most if the time anyways. Don't forget to backup just in case.

    Exactly. His solution to any hardware change, even a processor alone, is to
    format and reinstall.

    Ed

    > "Kevin" <kwmw(nothanks)@storm.ca> wrote in
    >
    >> .
    >> "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message

    >>> Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    >>> NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to
    >>> fix this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old
    >>> hardware removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with
    >>> XP????
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    >>> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    >>
    >> Don't listen to him. He always says the same things. The folks above
    >> have it right.
    >> Works most if the time anyways. Don't forget to backup just in case.
    >>

    > Thanks all for the help. I'll backup and try it. If it doesn't work, the
    > worst that can happen is I'll have to reformat and reinstall anyway. I
    > wonder if it would it make a difference if I were changing to another
    > Intel chipset instead of SiS?
    >
    > Dave I

    I don't think it would matter much as a different Intel chipset would be
    pretty much the same as a different chipset manufacturer. Backup and do a
    repair and see how it works out. I am on my 3rd MB/processor change on this
    system with only repair installs and have no problems whatsoever. Just make
    sure you backup all your important data first.

    Ed

    "Dave I." <daveri1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Kevin" <kwmw(nothanks)@storm.ca> wrote in
    >
    > > .
    > > "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message

    > >> Excuse the language, but what a f*****ing stupid soulution. People
    > >> NEED to change MB from time to time. Why don't they make a tool to
    > >> fix this. This was never a problem with Win98. Just switch. Old
    > >> hardware removed, new hardware found. Reboot. All well. Why not with
    > >> XP????
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    > >> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
    > >
    > > Don't listen to him. He always says the same things. The folks above
    > > have it right.
    > > Works most if the time anyways. Don't forget to backup just in case.
    > >

    > Thanks all for the help. I'll backup and try it. If it doesn't work, the
    > worst that can happen is I'll have to reformat and reinstall anyway. I
    > wonder if it would it make a difference if I were changing to another
    > Intel chipset instead of SiS?
    >
    > Dave I

    I tried to go from Intel 845 back to Intel BX (BX chipset drivers already
    built into WinXP). It didn't work. I tried changing to Standard IDE drivers
    before shutting down etc. Didn't work. I tried putting the hard drive on a
    Promise PCI Controller and taking the hard drive and controller to the new
    motherboard - didn't work either....

    Robert Hancock skrev:

    > This is because Windows 98 could fall back on accessing the disk via the
    > BIOS if there was no driver loaded for the controller. XP doesn't have
    > the vestiges of DOS that allowed this to work in 98.

    And it doesn't matter if you use FAT, FAT32 or NTFS either?
    How on earth do one upgrade the MB of a PC running XP then?

    My system is a dual boot Win98se / XP Pro, could I use Win98se to boot
    with a new MB, and then do somthing with the XP installation (is FAT32
    so all files are accessable from Win98se as well), or... ?

    --

    > Robert Hancock skrev:
    >
    >> This is because Windows 98 could fall back on accessing the disk via
    >> the
    >> BIOS if there was no driver loaded for the controller. XP doesn't have
    >> the vestiges of DOS that allowed this to work in 98.
    >
    > And it doesn't matter if you use FAT, FAT32 or NTFS either?
    > How on earth do one upgrade the MB of a PC running XP then?
    >
    > My system is a dual boot Win98se / XP Pro, could I use Win98se to boot
    > with a new MB, and then do somthing with the XP installation (is FAT32
    > so all files are accessable from Win98se as well), or... ?
    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/1400925745/p/1

    You can also use the administration tools from the command line, to set
    the system, so it is in the state that it is normally in on the first
    reboot after an XP install. You then shutdown, and install the new
    hardware, and the full identification phase will be run just like on a
    clean install. This though treats it as a new install, and always has to
    be rebranded, and given all the drivers, even those that are already
    present.

    Best Wishes

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > Robert Hancock skrev:
    >

    >>This is because Windows 98 could fall back on accessing the disk via the
    >>BIOS if there was no driver loaded for the controller. XP doesn't have
    >>the vestiges of DOS that allowed this to work in 98.
    >

    > And it doesn't matter if you use FAT, FAT32 or NTFS either?
    > How on earth do one upgrade the MB of a PC running XP then?
    >
    > My system is a dual boot Win98se / XP Pro, could I use Win98se to boot
    > with a new MB, and then do somthing with the XP installation (is FAT32
    > so all files are accessable from Win98se as well), or... ?

    The main obstacle tends to be the IDE/SATA controller. If you first set
    Windows to use the standard Microsoft IDE driver instead of any
    model-specific driver, it stands a better chance of working when the
    motherboard is swapped since the driver will likely still work to load
    Windows on the new board.

    Other than that, one can also do a repair installation of XP from the
    install CD..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Robert Hancock skrev:

    > The main obstacle tends to be the IDE/SATA controller. If you first set

    Hehe, so when using a 3rd party controller (like the P4PE's S-ATA) and
    then changing to a new MB with a build-in Intel S-ATA, would..... ????

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
    WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
    > Robert Hancock skrev:
    >

    >>The main obstacle tends to be the IDE/SATA controller. If you first set
    >

    > Hehe, so when using a 3rd party controller (like the P4PE's S-ATA) and
    > then changing to a new MB with a build-in Intel S-ATA, would..... ????

    In that case (where the current system has an controller not built into
    the chipset and the Microsoft driver cannot run it), I don't think this
    method is possible, you'd need to do a repair install or re-install.

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:23:43 GMT, "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote:

    >"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >> No you cannot update the chipset drivers. Whenever you change the
    >> motherboard that a harddrive containing the OS has used, then you MUST
    >> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >> face ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>
    >> --
    >> DaveW
    >
    >Why are you always going on about formatting and reinstalling an OS
    >everytime some hardware is changed? All that need be done is a repair
    >install. You must be a sadist........:-)
    >
    >Ed

    This might help?

    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/11664.html

Asus Motherboards Windows XP