P4s8X-X and Asus video V9280 Voltage problems???

Hi,
I have recently upgraded the CPU on my Asus P4S8X-X to an Intel 3.06
(Northwood) processor. I have 1 Gig of PC 2700 Ram in 2 slots.
I am using an Asus V9280 video card (Nvidia Ti4200).
I have recently (since upgrading the CPU) been getting voltage warnings
from Asus Smart Doctor (monitoring the video card). Very recently the
display drops from 1024x768 to something less than 640x480. I'm having
to power off and restart to get things going again.

Do you think the motherboard is delivering unstable power to the video
card? if so, should I get a new motherboard. Same one again? or what
would you recommend, so that I could reuse RAM, CPU, video, etc components?

Any help appreciated.
Gordon

BigJim

it is possible that the power supply is inadequate for the cpu and video
thus causing the power problem with the video, it is just a guess.

"Gorby" <Gorby@Old.russian.empire> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded the CPU on my Asus P4S8X-X to an Intel 3.06
> (Northwood) processor. I have 1 Gig of PC 2700 Ram in 2 slots.
> I am using an Asus V9280 video card (Nvidia Ti4200).
> I have recently (since upgrading the CPU) been getting voltage warnings
> from Asus Smart Doctor (monitoring the video card). Very recently the
> display drops from 1024x768 to something less than 640x480. I'm having to
> power off and restart to get things going again.
>
> Do you think the motherboard is delivering unstable power to the video
> card? if so, should I get a new motherboard. Same one again? or what would
> you recommend, so that I could reuse RAM, CPU, video, etc components?
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Gordon

Paul

Splendid

In article <4303f5b6@duster.adelaide.on.net>, wilgo02@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au wrote:

> Hi,
> I have recently upgraded the CPU on my Asus P4S8X-X to an Intel 3.06
> (Northwood) processor. I have 1 Gig of PC 2700 Ram in 2 slots.
> I am using an Asus V9280 video card (Nvidia Ti4200).
> I have recently (since upgrading the CPU) been getting voltage warnings
> from Asus Smart Doctor (monitoring the video card). Very recently the
> display drops from 1024x768 to something less than 640x480. I'm having
> to power off and restart to get things going again.
>
> Do you think the motherboard is delivering unstable power to the video
> card? if so, should I get a new motherboard. Same one again? or what
> would you recommend, so that I could reuse RAM, CPU, video, etc components?
>
> Any help appreciated.
> Gordon

AGP 2.0 spec (Vddq pins carry either 3.3 or 1.5V, depending on
which spec the card meets)

Vddq1.5 I/O Supply Voltage IMAX = 8.0A 1.425 1.575V (average currents <2A)
Vddq3.3 I/O Supply Voltage IMAX = 8.0A 3.15 3.45V (average currents <2A)
VCC3.3 3.3V Power Supply IMAX = 6.0A 3.15 3.45V
VCC5 5V Power Supply IMAX = 2.0A 4.75 5.25V
VCC12 12V Power Supply IMAX = 1.0A 11.4 12.6 V

AGP 3.0 spec

Vddq1.5 I/O Supply Voltage IMAX = 2.0A 1.425 1.575 V (1.0 amp average VDDQ)
VCC3.3 3.3V Power Supply IMAX = 6.0A 3.15 3.45 V
3.3VAUX 3.3V Aux IMAX = 0.375A 3.15 3.45 V
VCC5 5V Power Supply IMAX = 2.0A 4.75 5.25 V
VCC12 12V Power Supply IMAX = 1.0A 11.4 12.6 V

First off, you should have mentioned which voltage was out of
spec in Smart Doctor, and by how much. Another thing you could
do, is fire up Asus Probe and get a readout of the 3.3V, 5V, and
12V that come from the PSU.

Your new processor draws more current from +12V. On the old
power supplies, the entire primary side moves up and down, in
response to the load. The output voltages are established by
the turns ratio of the multiple secondary windings on the
output transformer. What this would normally mean, is if you
tug on +12V (more load), the voltage on +12V will fall, but
you will also get to see the +3.3V and the +5V rise. This is
a very handy trend, because when someone reports a problem in
this group, you can use the voltage trends to identify which
output on the ATX PSU has suddenly gotten an extra load.

To fix a voltage problem, there are several possible problems
and fixes:

1) The PSU could be inadequate for the current load being placed
on it. I recommend 12V@15A minimum for a P4 system with just
the basic components. There are web sites that allow a more
detailed calculation (http://takaman.jp/D/?english but correct
the overcurrent for disk drives, as the numbers shown are at
spinup. Your disk manufacturer has the exact numbers, or use
12V@0.5A and 5V@1A for a modern, idling disk drive).

2) The PSU could be sick. Wavering voltages, or complaints
from Asus Probe about more than +/- 5% variation from
normal might be your first clue. You might even get a burning
smell just before it fails.

3) The ATX 20 pin power connector could be making bad contact
with the motherboard. There was one Asus motherboard, where
a bad batch of connectors did not make good contact with any
ATX supply that was plugged in. The ATX 20 pin should be pushed
into place, until the latch engages. The latch is there to make
sure it doesn't work itself loose. If the ATX 20 pin is allowed
to work loose, the pins heat up due to the partial contact,
they oxidize, and are permanently crippled. A low motherboard
power reading at this point, requires connector replacement to
permanently fix the problem. No amount of bandaid solutions will
work for more than a short time.

4) A partial short could be developing within the motherboard PCB.
This is uncommon. Also, a standoff in the wrong place, could
touch a copper power track on the bottom of the motherboard.
The "solder blob" problem on the P4C800 was another example
of a partial short affecting operation. This only affected
the initial production run.

So, get out Asus Probe or MBM5 and check the main voltages. With
the computer unplugged, pull the 20 pin connector and reseat it.
Check the plastic for signs of heat or melting. Make sure the latch
is fully seated. Post back what you find when reading both the
Smart Doctor screen and Asus Probe at the same time.

With some luck, all this will take is a power supply with a few
more amps on +12V.

Paul

It sounds like your power supply unit is dying. Try replacing it.

--
DaveW

Paul wrote:
> [...]
> permanently fix the problem. No amount of bandaid solutions will
> work for more than a short time.
>
> 4) A partial short could be developing within the motherboard PCB.
> This is uncommon. Also, a standoff in the wrong place, could
> touch a copper power track on the bottom of the motherboard.
> The "solder blob" problem on the P4C800 was another example
> of a partial short affecting operation. This only affected
> the initial production run.
>
> So, get out Asus Probe or MBM5 and check the main voltages. With
> the computer unplugged, pull the 20 pin connector and reseat it.
> Check the plastic for signs of heat or melting. Make sure the latch
> is fully seated. Post back what you find when reading both the
> Smart Doctor screen and Asus Probe at the same time.
>
> With some luck, all this will take is a power supply with a few

I haven't had any errors today. However here are my current PC probe and
Smart Doctor readings:
PC Probe:
12 Volt = 12.2 +- .04 (does fluctuate)
5 volt = 5.134 (constant)
3.3 volt= 3.14 +- .02 (fluctuates a little bit only)
Vcore = 1.616 (constant)

The video card is an AGP 3 card.
Smart Doctor:
Vcc = 3.04 v
Vcore = 1.68 v
AGP = 1.50 v

From memory I think the error was Vcc going up to (maybe even over) 4
volts.

I'm going out today, anyway, and getting a new 500w PSU.

cheers
Gordon

Paul

Splendid

In article <4305c7e2$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>, wilgo02@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> I have had the problem return of the screen resolution changing to
> something less than 640x480, without any obvious hardware problem. I
> remembered that I also upgraded the nVidia drivers to the latest
> (77.77). I have now reverted to the previous safe drivers (71.89). I
> will transfer to the nVidia newsgroup.
> cheers and thanks
> Gordon

Yup. Play the driver game. Not every driver is a winner, so
rollback to the one that previously was working for you.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS