Can I delete MS instant messenger?

June 30, 2004 4:51:17 PM

And if so how? It seems that it is in ROM, do I understand that this means
the death knell for this question? I'm trying to find all available space.

-Adrielle
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:55:46 AM

You won't gain any user memory if the program is in ROM. The link to the
program is only a few bytes (around 15 bytes, not kilobytes or megabytes)-
not worth bothering with, and because it is a pointer to ROM may be
difficult to recreate if needed in the future. If you need more space delete
some programs, get a memory card and install things on there, or consider a
memory upgrade if one is available for your machine (links have been posted
in past newsgroup messages).

"Adrielle" <WintersBite@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> And if so how? It seems that it is in ROM, do I understand that this means
> the death knell for this question? I'm trying to find all available space.
>
> -Adrielle

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:55:47 AM

Thanks for the fast response.

I've already deleted the shortcut in:
\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

What I want to do and think that I can't is to delete
\Windows\instmsgr.exe
which is what this shortcut refers to and is 144KB in size, a wee bit more
than 15 bytes.

Actually I never want to see instant messenger in any form on any of my
machines again. That is the main reason for the query.

The second reason is space in order to backup data. I'm beginning to think
that I have a flakey battery. It was fully charged the other day and then
went totally dead. Until I can afford/get a new battery (if that turns out
to be what I need) I want very regular backups, because it was an amazing
pain in the derriere when I lost everything on the pda the other day (when I
restored from a backup it wiped out data in my desktop outlook, don't ask me
why).I have in fact already deleted all programs that I do not regularly use
and have a storage card (can't afford to buy more another one at the moment)
as a part of this process. I want to plug my pda in at night, do an
automated backup to working memory and thus (via activesynch) also to my
desktop. I'm also starting to investigate pda backup programs (any
recommendations?).

If there is anything in the additional information that enables further help
that is great, but I really want to know if I can delete instmsgr.exe -- is
it in ROM (?!), does that mean that I can't delete it (my understanding),
and even if I could delete it would that get me anywhere space wise. Since
ROM is 'RO' does that imply that it is in a sense dead and nothing can use
it or write to it.

Thanks

-Adrielle

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> You won't gain any user memory if the program is in ROM. The link to the
> program is only a few bytes (around 15 bytes, not kilobytes or megabytes)-
> not worth bothering with, and because it is a pointer to ROM may be
> difficult to recreate if needed in the future. If you need more space
delete
> some programs, get a memory card and install things on there, or consider
> memory upgrade if one is available for your machine (links have been
posted
> in past newsgroup messages).
>

> "Adrielle" <WintersBite@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > And if so how? It seems that it is in ROM, do I understand that this
means
> > the death knell for this question? I'm trying to find all available
space.

> > -Adrielle

July 1, 2004 1:55:48 AM

The file size does not use any RAM storage... only ROM storage that is
reported in RAM... I know... strange... only 15 bytes of ram are used to
display the rom file.

The only option that you have is to copy another file with the same name
on top of it that will not execute... i.e. create a 1 byte text file and
name it instmsgr.exe then use file explorer on your pc to copy it to the
windows directory via an activesync connection... when you do this, the
file in rom will not execute when it is tapped using pfile explorer.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 9:01:17 AM

> Thanks for the fast response.
>
> I've already deleted the shortcut in:
> \Windows\Start Menu\Programs
>
> What I want to do and think that I can't is to delete
> \Windows\instmsgr.exe
> which is what this shortcut refers to and is 144KB in size, a wee bit more
> than 15 bytes.
>
> Actually I never want to see instant messenger in any form on any of my
> machines again. That is the main reason for the query.
>
> The second reason is space in order to backup data. I'm beginning to think
> that I have a flakey battery. It was fully charged the other day and then
> went totally dead. Until I can afford/get a new battery (if that turns out
> to be what I need) I want very regular backups, because it was an amazing
> pain in the derriere when I lost everything on the pda the other day (when
> restored from a backup it wiped out data in my desktop outlook, don't ask
me
> why).I have in fact already deleted all programs that I do not regularly
use
> and have a storage card (can't afford to buy more another one at the
moment)
> as a part of this process. I want to plug my pda in at night, do an
> automated backup to working memory and thus (via activesynch) also to my
> desktop. I'm also starting to investigate pda backup programs (any
> recommendations?).
>
> If there is anything in the additional information that enables further
help
> that is great, but I really want to know if I can delete instmsgr.exe --
is
> it in ROM (?!), does that mean that I can't delete it (my understanding),
> and even if I could delete it would that get me anywhere space wise. Since
> ROM is 'RO' does that imply that it is in a sense dead and nothing can use
> it or write to it.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Adrielle

If the file shows up on your C drive in file explorer that's your internal
memory, not ROM.
I don't know what your machine uses to ID the ROM, on lots of equipment
drive Z is used. I've not tried accessing the ROM on the ppc, so I don't
know how it is identified.
You can always rename and move the file so the system can't find it to see
if you get problems. If you get problems rename it and move it back to the
original location.

There are backup utilities that can save the memory contents of your ppc
just before the battery dies, my machine came with this- it automatically
backs up when the battery is at 5% remaining, even if switched off. This is
called Smartkeeper, perhaps it's worth considering this as an option?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:43:12 PM

>> I would get rid of the psychic itch that I personally get from
instant messenger <<

The best way to deal with that itch is to remove the shortcut(s)

>> no space would be made available to anything? I guess
the question may be there is no such thing as "free ROM" is there,
because by definition nothing can write to it? <<

The ROM space is divided up into the section used by the OS and default
apps plus the "leftover" ROM that is utilized for "Safe Storage"

You can't write or manipulate to any of the OS/default apps sections,
only the FAT pointers into that section, so, zero gain.

"Safe Storage" is available but most of us use memory cards to store
critical files as they offer a number of advantages over files locked
into the device itself.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
February 9, 2009 11:38:40 PM

Quote: