Nanodot Memory 100X Faster Than Today's Memory Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
The thing is, these things don't matter much to consumers until REAL products arrive. Like the super dense batteries, super quick charge batteries, carbon heatsinks, etc., yeah they sound awesome but I'm waiting for actual market release.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Its not just about the actual market release.
I think the point here is that numerous technologies that are much more advanced have been developed throughout our industrialized history, but few have made it to full-scale production.
It might be the case with this technology as well.

Keep in mind that whenever similar things are published, they often get forgotten only to re-appear online years later, and disappear again.

Its also not a question of mass production at lowered costs.
We could have easily done all of that some time ago with numerous other technologies.
But keep in mind that the market doesn't work by suddenly transitioning to technology that's for example 100x more powerful/efficient.
Companies make more profits in the long run by making smaller revisions of existing technologies, slowly incorporating some minor features and overcharging the consumers simply because they can.

Technology that is in use today is highly stagnant actually.
Its quite sad really.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
the thing uses LASER so it's hard to replace NAND in some small size applications, like the HDD is too big to fit in your phone

still looking forward for products using this technology

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ill be dead before any exciting tech comes out, sucks being 24 right now... ill die just as tech gets advacned enough for me to be interested in it again.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
green laser? hmm....HD manufacturers already has technology similar to this using very fast burst of laser to flip magnetic properties of the material.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ill be dead before any exciting tech comes out, sucks being 24 right now... ill die just as tech gets advacned enough for me to be interested in it again.[/citation]

Think how I feel at 40............

But yes I agree with you. There are too many people scared of new tech who are holding us back. Look at this website........ 1/2 the posts on here are people lamenting newer/better/faster.

The good enough crowd....

And this is a tech website. Imagine the mentality of the general public.

exactly. This is a good tech opportunity and we will see products as long as some hardware manufacturer jumps at this

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Think how I feel at 40............But yes I agree with you. There are too many people scared of new tech who are holding us back. Look at this website........ 1/2 the posts on here are people lamenting newer/better/faster. The good enough crowd....And this is a tech website. Imagine the mentality of the general public.[/citation]

i want newer, but not in a poor direction
i want faster, but not be required to get it
i want better, but not better to some and not to others

look at windows 7, yea, its better than xp in some cases, but others i would rather have xp still, i think it went in a poor direction

i want faster processors, graphics cards and so forth, but i dont want games programed with tri sli in mind and hopeing future cards sort it all out, or slopilly coded programs that bloat so much they have more features than an older version, but preform worse

and i dont windows 8 that will be great for tablets and phones be the corner stone of how a pc will be made

ill probable get downvoted for not calling windows 7 my god and saying xp was better in many ways, or the audacity of me for not wanting quad sli required for even the start menu of a video game to go at more than 15fps... but thats how i feel.

at the rate things are going, tech will just get good enough by around the time i hit 80, but if my grand parents are any indication, id rather be dead than get that old with my genetics.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
i want, smaller, faster, better. Price will go down eventually anyways so might as well put it out already. Start using fiber in MB as well, i dont know what the hold up is but i will be in line to buy one of those puppies if it ever comes out. It makes me sad that new nvidia cards were still using the 9800gt framework :( We have innovation already as stated in this article (and many others) but there is no one willing to fork over the capital needed for practical application.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]The thing is, these things don't matter much to consumers until REAL products arrive. Like the super dense batteries, super quick charge batteries, carbon heatsinks, etc., yeah they sound awesome but I'm waiting for actual market release.[/citation]

Like when the first planes flew, it may or may not have been obvious it was going to become mainstream, but it gives us a glimpse into what can happen down the road.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@Douglas

if the new memory responds at 1us (1MHz) which is supposedly "100x faster than today's memory" then today's memory runs at 10kHz. are you sure you got the units and numbers right?

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]The thing is, these things don't matter much to consumers until REAL products arrive. Like the super dense batteries, super quick charge batteries, carbon heatsinks, etc., yeah they sound awesome but I'm waiting for actual market release.[/citation]
I was hoping that I am still living to see this come to reality.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
ik242 - a microsecond and a Megahertz are not equal measurements... one is a measurement of cycles per second (hertz) and one is an actual measurement of time... where did you get 1μs = 1MHz?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I'd like to complain here about technology or time or life or something, but it already been covered above. I think I'll just have my life. Anyone else?

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
[citation][nom]ik242[/nom]@Douglasif the new memory responds at 1us (1MHz) which is supposedly "100x faster than today's memory" then today's memory runs at 10kHz. are you sure you got the units and numbers right?[/citation]

Failure.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The age of Microsoft is over! It is now the age of Nanosoft! :D[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]The thing is, these things don't matter much to consumers until REAL products arrive. Like the super dense batteries, super quick charge batteries, carbon heatsinks, etc., yeah they sound awesome but I'm waiting for actual market release.[/citation]

And I am waiting for fuel cells, fusion reactors, quantum computers and real AI... :D Well, maybe they'll be here for our great grand children!

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
The paper referenced is from two issues ago, not the current issue of App. Phys. Lett.
It seems that Douglas Perry has misunderstood this research entirely. It is not fast by comparison with modern consumer memories at all, as the 1us erase time limits its write speed to no greater than 1MHz as correctly pointed out by ik242. Additionally, due to the complicated growth and measurement scheme of this memory (which must physically locate and single out individual Si QDs at a time), it will not be useful for a very long time to come. It is not likely to be useful to have QDs spread randomly throughout your substrate as is the case in virtually all QD experiments to date. The advancement in this paper is to limit leakage current and improve data retention and slightly improve data rate over previous works.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ill be dead before any exciting tech comes out, sucks being 24 right now... ill die just as tech gets advacned enough for me to be interested in it again.[/citation]
No you won't; you will probably stop ageing entirely 35-50 years from now, then you will become young again. And you will be part machine, part human.
-- Factual information courtesy of Ray Kurzweil

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]zipz0p[/nom]The paper referenced is from two issues ago, not the current issue of App. Phys. Lett. It seems that Douglas Perry has misunderstood this research entirely. It is not fast by comparison with modern consumer memories at all, as the 1us erase time limits its write speed to no greater than 1MHz as correctly pointed out by ik242. Additionally, due to the complicated growth and measurement scheme of this memory (which must physically locate and single out individual Si QDs at a time), it will not be useful for a very long time to come. It is not likely to be useful to have QDs spread randomly throughout your substrate as is the case in virtually all QD experiments to date. The advancement in this paper is to limit leakage current and improve data retention and slightly improve data rate over previous works.[/citation]
You should be on Big Bang Theory..... I understood nothing what you just said sir. Congrats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.