Latest Norton Ghost version 2003 capable of ghosting SATA ..

Is the latest version of Norton Ghost 2003 capable of ghosting SATA (serial
ATA) hard disk without any problems as yet????? What's the best way to ghost
SATA hard disk???

I don't know much about it, but Ghost 2003 works for me.

I have a pair of WD 160 GB SATA drives in Raid 0 on an Asus P4P800 mainboard
(Intel 865PE chipset). The RAID pair contains the boot partition. (I'll
probably regret that some day, but XP boots 20 seconds faster from the RAID
arrays, so...)

I've ghosted the partitions to an external Firewire (IEEE 1394) enclosure
that holds an 80 GB IDE drive. It's not blindingly fast, taking perhaps 40
minutes to ghost approx. 16 GB, but it works. I've given up directly
ghosting to my (Plextor 708a) DVD drive, because I've gotten too many
errors. Writing the image file segments to the hard drive and burning them
to a DVD+R from Windows (Nero 6) has been quite reliable.

The latest version of Ghost is 9.0, but I haven't seen it.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
> Is the latest version of Norton Ghost 2003 capable of ghosting SATA
> (serial
> ATA) hard disk without any problems as yet????? What's the best way to
> ghost
> SATA hard disk???

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi Bob:

Happened to read your response and glad to know that you're also using Asus
P4P800, as one of my home systems.

A few days ago, I put myself into a trouble by sending two home systems to
upgrade motherboard, CPU and DRAM and one of them was changed from P4PE to
P4P800.

Among other Windows XP installation and activation problems, I found out
BIOS cannot detect the primary slave HDD and onboard LAN is not working
(should have that green light on when the system is on).

I am about to send it back for the technician to checkup again, but just
came across your post and saw you're using the same board.

Guess what I wish consult you is about any special settings, jumpers, or
whatever might be, needed to be done for the above two problems?

Thanks in advance.

--
Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
around.

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I don't know much about it, but Ghost 2003 works for me.
>
> I have a pair of WD 160 GB SATA drives in Raid 0 on an Asus P4P800
> mainboard (Intel 865PE chipset). The RAID pair contains the boot
> partition. (I'll probably regret that some day, but XP boots 20 seconds
> faster from the RAID arrays, so...)
>
> I've ghosted the partitions to an external Firewire (IEEE 1394) enclosure
> that holds an 80 GB IDE drive. It's not blindingly fast, taking perhaps 40
> minutes to ghost approx. 16 GB, but it works. I've given up directly
> ghosting to my (Plextor 708a) DVD drive, because I've gotten too many
> errors. Writing the image file segments to the hard drive and burning them
> to a DVD+R from Windows (Nero 6) has been quite reliable.
>
> The latest version of Ghost is 9.0, but I haven't seen it.
>
> HTH.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Joe M" <joematminemandotcom> wrote in message
>> Is the latest version of Norton Ghost 2003 capable of ghosting SATA
>> (serial
>> ATA) hard disk without any problems as yet????? What's the best way to
>> ghost
>> SATA hard disk???

I am also running the P4P800. There are two things I would suggest to
you. First, update the BIOS to 1016
(http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P800&Type=Latest)
or 1017 if you have the Deluxe version
(http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P800%20Deluxe).

Second, double check the BIOS settings after loading these. Double check
the cables and the jumpers. Double check the power cables. Enjoy the
motherboard. This is the best board I have ever owned. Also, if you
plan on overclocking, look around for how to mod it to use PAT mode eve
when overclocking. For more info, let me know :)

----
Nathan McNulty

xfile wrote:
> Hi Bob:
>
> Happened to read your response and glad to know that you're also using Asus
> P4P800, as one of my home systems.
>
> A few days ago, I put myself into a trouble by sending two home systems to
> upgrade motherboard, CPU and DRAM and one of them was changed from P4PE to
> P4P800.
>
> Among other Windows XP installation and activation problems, I found out
> BIOS cannot detect the primary slave HDD and onboard LAN is not working
> (should have that green light on when the system is on).
>
> I am about to send it back for the technician to checkup again, but just
> came across your post and saw you're using the same board.
>
> Guess what I wish consult you is about any special settings, jumpers, or
> whatever might be, needed to be done for the above two problems?
>

> Thanks in advance.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi:

Thanks for telling me this, but unfortunately, the original board is
"mysteriously" broken after the technician installed it along with one of
HDD with years of programs and utilities stored in it.

Now I am using a new P4P800 SE, and I finally managed through Windows
activation and NIS 2004 reactivation (seems they all learn this bad example
from MS).

I have not checked BIOS version yet, which will be done shortly, and all
drivers are currently under update process.

Once that has been done, I will install SP2 (my version of Windows XP Pro
for this system is SP1).

So far, the desktop looks the same as before but I have not yet launched any
application to go through if anything has been damaged.

When I have done with this one, I have to go through the same thing for my
Windows Server 2003.

A simple wish has put me into so many troubles. Guess I have plenty things
to do during the coming weekend,

But thanks and please do not hesitate to let me know if you come up any
additional advises.

Thanks again.

--
"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am also running the P4P800. There are two things I would suggest to you.
>First, update the BIOS to 1016
>(http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P800&Type=Latest)
>or 1017 if you have the Deluxe version
>(http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P800%20Deluxe).
>
> Second, double check the BIOS settings after loading these. Double check
> the cables and the jumpers. Double check the power cables. Enjoy the
> motherboard. This is the best board I have ever owned. Also, if you plan
> on overclocking, look around for how to mod it to use PAT mode eve when
> overclocking. For more info, let me know :)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> xfile wrote:
>> Hi Bob:
>>
>> Happened to read your response and glad to know that you're also using
>> Asus P4P800, as one of my home systems.
>>
>> A few days ago, I put myself into a trouble by sending two home systems
>> to upgrade motherboard, CPU and DRAM and one of them was changed from
>> P4PE to P4P800.
>>
>> Among other Windows XP installation and activation problems, I found out
>> BIOS cannot detect the primary slave HDD and onboard LAN is not working
>> (should have that green light on when the system is on).
>>
>> I am about to send it back for the technician to checkup again, but just
>> came across your post and saw you're using the same board.
>>
>> Guess what I wish consult you is about any special settings, jumpers, or
>> whatever might be, needed to be done for the above two problems?
>>

>> Thanks in advance.

Ghost 2003 does it fine - I use it on my 120GB SATA drive regulary.

The best way I've found is to create the old fassioned boot floppy and do it
using DOS (sounds rong with SATA, I know - but it DOES work).

Just a word of warning, I had loadsa problems after trying to use the
wizards from within windows - it's not worth the hastle.

hope this helps you out