does linux run on an a8v deluxe using the onboard raid stu..

mike6

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004

hi there

F windows , I'd like too run mandrake 10 on an a8v deluxe
, but I always had trouble getting the raid stuff too work can it be
easily done ? I have 2 wd caviar 120 gig drives SATA I am using
the on board controller and a raid 0 right now with

patch me up windows

I'm really tiring of windows

It *can* be made to run on 2.6.x kernels... but it's very difficult. If you
want to try it you'll need to use dmraid (uses device mapper to work with
"fake-raid" controllers like the promise and via controllers on the A8V).
There is no linux distro, to my knowledge, that incorporates dmraid into the
installer - that is why it is so difficult.

The much much easier route is to use Redhat9 (based on 2.4.x kernel) and the
binary raid drivers available for RedHat9 already.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

mike6 wrote:
> hi there
>
> F windows , I'd like too run mandrake 10 on an a8v deluxe
> , but I always had trouble getting the raid stuff too work can it be
> easily done ? I have 2 wd caviar 120 gig drives SATA I am using
> the on board controller and a raid 0 right now with
>
> patch me up windows
>
> I'm really tiring of windows

In general, setting up Linux on typical IDE/SATA RAID controllers (the
usual kind for onboard ones, which are just BIOS-assisted software RAID)
is a pain. If you're going with Linux exclusively, it's likely easier to
just disable the RAID on the board and use Linux software RAID (md).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Same question regarding the a8n. Is the nForce & SIS raid controllers
software based and just a big of a PITA or are those actual hardware
controllers?

I've got Mandriva and FreeBSD running on one of my older PC's, but
non-raid.

edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:
> Same question regarding the a8n. Is the nForce & SIS raid controllers
> software based and just a big of a PITA or are those actual hardware
> controllers?
>
> I've got Mandriva and FreeBSD running on one of my older PC's, but
> non-raid.

The NVIDIA RAID is definitely software based. I'm not completely sure
about the SiS but it's almost certainly software based as well.

The only onboard ATA RAID controllers I know of which are actually
hardware RAID are some of the ITE chips. Other than that, if you want
true hardware RAID, you're looking at either SCSI or something like a
3ware controller.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada