IntelliMouse Explorer Pointer Slows/Freezes

Hi gang,

Well, I looked through all the knowledge base articles and
the only solution I found with was to uninstall the 5.x
driver/software and go back to the old one. Well, I did
this and am still facing the same problem. Are there
remnants of the 5.x driver left in some dll files that I
need to manually edit out? Having my mouse pointer slow
down or freeze is getting quite annoying. Thanks for any
help in advance!

P.S. I have the same mouse at home and at work and the one
at home is working just fine. The only difference is that
the one here at work is using a USB-->PS/2 adapter while
the one at home is going straight in the USB. And yes, I
tried going straight through USB here just to see if that
made a difference, but it actually makes it worse (more
frequent freezing). Before all of this, everything worked
fine with the adapter (FYI). Thanks again!

Using:
* Windows XP Professional
* IntelliMouse Explorer USB and PS/2 Compatible
* Driver Version 4.10.851.0
3 answers Last reply
More about intellimouse explorer pointer slows freezes

    There are two things I would like to mention. First, you need to make
    sure that the reciever is close to the mouse. I have had a distance of
    15 feet work at times and only 2 feet at other times. It is very odd,
    but you may just need to position it closer.

    Second, try installing the latest drivers available from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

    Note: Uninstall ALL IntelliPoint/IntelliType software before installing
    the new version using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Ed wrote:
    > Hi gang,
    >
    > Well, I looked through all the knowledge base articles and
    > the only solution I found with was to uninstall the 5.x
    > driver/software and go back to the old one. Well, I did
    > this and am still facing the same problem. Are there
    > remnants of the 5.x driver left in some dll files that I
    > need to manually edit out? Having my mouse pointer slow
    > down or freeze is getting quite annoying. Thanks for any
    > help in advance!
    >
    > P.S. I have the same mouse at home and at work and the one
    > at home is working just fine. The only difference is that
    > the one here at work is using a USB-->PS/2 adapter while
    > the one at home is going straight in the USB. And yes, I
    > tried going straight through USB here just to see if that
    > made a difference, but it actually makes it worse (more
    > frequent freezing). Before all of this, everything worked
    > fine with the adapter (FYI). Thanks again!
    >
    > Using:
    > * Windows XP Professional
    > * IntelliMouse Explorer USB and PS/2 Compatible
    > * Driver Version 4.10.851.0

    This is actuall a hard-wired mouse, so the distance I
    don't think should matter.

    On your second note, I've done that a number of times with
    no luck. :( I even went as far as editing registry
    settings in KB321122, with no luck. Don't tell me I'm the
    only one facing this issue. *sigh* Thanks in advance for
    any help.

    Sorry I assumed you were using a wireless mouse :)

    Just a note, there is a certain point where the signal through the cable
    will finally die, but I can garuntee your cable is not THAT long :p

    What I would suggest is to try backing up all of your data, format the
    drive, and install Windows clean. Then try setting it up. If you still
    have problems, have it replaced. You can do this through the place of
    purchase or directly though MS.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Pointer Windows XP