A7N8X and XP pro problem

I have an A7N8X with AMD3000+ 1Gig 3200 ram and Nvidia5500. Runs very
nicely with Windows Me... I am trying to install XPpro and after
installaling all files and it reboots I get a hardware error and it hangs
without even attempting to boot into xppro. I reinstall WinMe and all is
well.. Is there a problem with A7N8X and xp that I need to be aware of. I
have uninstalled everything so it is a bare bones install and still the
same. Won't even attempt to boot into xppro....

John

To be honest, I was hoping there was an issue that was corrected with a BIOS
update or something. You might be right about the memory and was wondering
what program is being used these days to do memory checks. I have a 350
watt power supply and was wondering if that may be an issue also, but in
bare bones mode, it shouldn't. I'll download a memory checker and see.

John

Draggonfodder wrote:

> To be honest, I was hoping there was an issue that was corrected with a BIOS
> update or something. You might be right about the memory and was wondering
> what program is being used these days to do memory checks. I have a 350
> watt power supply and was wondering if that may be an issue also, but in
> bare bones mode, it shouldn't. I'll download a memory checker and see.

I have an A7N8X as my admin system, running XP Pro.

BIOS details: ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007

I have found it to be incredibly stable - but I don't overclock, so
there are no issues with that. (More than I can say for the ASUS A8N
SLi Deluxe.)

I did have issues with earlier BIOS versions on this board, though...

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

"" wrote:
> I have an A7N8X with AMD3000+ 1Gig 3200 ram and Nvidia5500.
> Runs very
> nicely with Windows Me... I am trying to install XPpro and
> after
> installaling all files and it reboots I get a hardware error
> and it hangs
> without even attempting to boot into xppro. I reinstall WinMe
> and all is
> well.. Is there a problem with A7N8X and xp that I need to be
> aware of. I
> have uninstalled everything so it is a bare bones install and
> still the
> same. Won't even attempt to boot into xppro....
>
> John

Are you sure there is no problem with the Windows Xp installation
disk?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7N8X-XP-pro-problem-ftopict60763.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=308240

"Captin" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > I have an A7N8X with AMD3000+ 1Gig 3200 ram and Nvidia5500.
> > Runs very
> > nicely with Windows Me... I am trying to install XPpro and
> > after
> > installaling all files and it reboots I get a hardware error
> > and it hangs
> > without even attempting to boot into xppro. I reinstall WinMe
> > and all is
> > well.. Is there a problem with A7N8X and xp that I need to be
> > aware of. I
> > have uninstalled everything so it is a bare bones install and
> > still the
> > same. Won't even attempt to boot into xppro....
> >
> > John
>
> Are you sure there is no problem with the Windows Xp installation
> disk?

I have the original and a backup and tried both with the same results. I
had just done a clean install before the drive crashed and this new drive
just won't take it. I originally had it on a Segate SATA drive and decided
to go with a WD non SATA this time and no workee... I had an old memory
program that didn't find any memory problems, and have downloaded a newer
one (just need to put it on a floppy). Haven't had much free time this week
and will be devoting one of my weekend days to this problem. I have decided
that if it isn't a memory problem, that I will just put RedHat Linux on it
and play with that for a while. Been meaning to do that for a while. I'll
use that for my internet machine and take my better XPpro machine (up and
running just fine) and use it as my gaming machine. Well, gives me
something to do...

John
> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7N8X-XP-pro-problem-ftopict60763.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=308240

After scratching my head for several weeks on this, I went out an bought
another hard drive and tried it and everything installed and is working just
fine. I now have a 160 gig Seagate up and running. Guess my Western
Digital (even though it passed all the factory tests) just didn't want to
run XPpro. Seems to run fine as a second drive but am not going to put
anything important on it.

John