Chkdsk runs occasionally at startup but is getting worse

September 17, 2004 12:20:37 PM

I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.

It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.

Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something else
actually going wrong....

Cheers
Anthony
September 17, 2004 12:20:38 PM

This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
its maker.

"Anthony Hughes" wrote:

> I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
> system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
>
> It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
> more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
>
> Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
> to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something else
> actually going wrong....
>
> Cheers
> Anthony

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:08:28 PM

I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
exception of this at startup......

Anthony

In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
>its maker.
>
>"Anthony Hughes" wrote:
>
>> I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
>> system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
>>
>> It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
>> more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
>>
>> Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
>
>> to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something
> else
>> actually going wrong....
>>
>> Cheers
>> Anthony

September 27, 2004 11:08:20 AM

I've now replaced the HD with a brand new one, cloned the contents across from
the old and guess what? It does exactly the same thing....

So now I know it's software related, how on earth to I diagnose this
further....?

Cheers
Ant

In article <uJomtdLnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com
(Anthony Hughes) wrote:
>I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
>errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
>exception of this at startup......
>
>Anthony
>
>In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
>=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
>>its maker.
>>
>>"Anthony Hughes" wrote:
>>
>>> I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
>>> system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
>>>
>>> It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
>>> more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't
> want
>>
>>> to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something
>> else
>>> actually going wrong....
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Anthony

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 11:08:21 AM

Try a clean install of Windows. Backup all of your data, boot off the
XP CD, choose to format NTFS (Quick), then install Windows. You will
have to load all of your programs and data that you backed up back onto
the computer, but this will give you a solid clean system to work with.

----
Nathan McNulty

Anthony Hughes wrote:
> I've now replaced the HD with a brand new one, cloned the contents across from
> the old and guess what? It does exactly the same thing....
>
> So now I know it's software related, how on earth to I diagnose this
> further....?
>
> Cheers
> Ant
>
> In article <uJomtdLnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com
> (Anthony Hughes) wrote:
>
>>I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
>>errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
>>exception of this at startup......
>>
>>Anthony
>>
>>In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
>>=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
>>>its maker.

>>want

>>>else

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:33:40 PM

I'm sure a reinstall would solve the problem but that is too onerous a task to
consider at the moment - I have too many applications installed and
configurations tweaked. It may well come to that in the end, but I'd really
rather diagnose the particular fault....

Cheers
Ant

!