Chkdsk runs occasionally at startup but is getting worse

I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.

It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.

Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something else
actually going wrong....

Cheers
Anthony
5 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk runs occasionally startup worse

    This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
    its maker.

    "Anthony Hughes" wrote:

    > I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
    > system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
    >
    > It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
    > more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
    >
    > Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
    > to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something else
    > actually going wrong....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anthony

    I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
    errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
    exception of this at startup......

    Anthony

    In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
    =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
    >its maker.
    >
    >"Anthony Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
    >> system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
    >>
    >> It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
    >> more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't want
    >
    >> to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something
    > else
    >> actually going wrong....
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Anthony

    I've now replaced the HD with a brand new one, cloned the contents across from
    the old and guess what? It does exactly the same thing....

    So now I know it's software related, how on earth to I diagnose this
    further....?

    Cheers
    Ant

    In article <uJomtdLnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com
    (Anthony Hughes) wrote:
    >I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
    >errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
    >exception of this at startup......
    >
    >Anthony
    >
    >In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
    >=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
    >>its maker.
    >>
    >>"Anthony Hughes" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've had a problem for many months now where now and then when I boot the
    >>> system it runs chkdsk but never reports any problems.
    >>>
    >>> It used to happem maybe once a week but just recently it's become very much
    >>> more frequent and is rapidly approaching every time - but not quite yet.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way I can find out what is causing this to happen - I don't
    > want
    >>
    >>> to just disable the chkdsk because it seems to be indicative of something
    >> else
    >>> actually going wrong....
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Anthony

    Try a clean install of Windows. Backup all of your data, boot off the
    XP CD, choose to format NTFS (Quick), then install Windows. You will
    have to load all of your programs and data that you backed up back onto
    the computer, but this will give you a solid clean system to work with.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Anthony Hughes wrote:
    > I've now replaced the HD with a brand new one, cloned the contents across from
    > the old and guess what? It does exactly the same thing....
    >
    > So now I know it's software related, how on earth to I diagnose this
    > further....?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Ant
    >
    > In article <uJomtdLnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com
    > (Anthony Hughes) wrote:
    >
    >>I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
    >>errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the sole
    >>exception of this at startup......
    >>
    >>Anthony
    >>
    >>In article <E588AB32-CB3D-4BBD-B979-81B572D04465@microsoft.com>,
    >>=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is usually a good tell tale sign that the Hard drive is ready to visit
    >>>its maker.

    >>want

    >>>else

    I'm sure a reinstall would solve the problem but that is too onerous a task to
    consider at the moment - I have too many applications installed and
    configurations tweaked. It may well come to that in the end, but I'd really
    rather diagnose the particular fault....

    Cheers
    Ant

    In article <OzxfyYGpEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Nathan McNulty
    <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
    >Try a clean install of Windows. Backup all of your data, boot off the
    >XP CD, choose to format NTFS (Quick), then install Windows. You will
    >have to load all of your programs and data that you backed up back onto
    >the computer, but this will give you a solid clean system to work with.
    >
    >----
    >Nathan McNulty
    >

    >Anthony Hughes wrote:
    >> I've now replaced the HD with a brand new one, cloned the contents across
    > from
    >> the old and guess what? It does exactly the same thing....
    >>
    >> So now I know it's software related, how on earth to I diagnose this
    >> further....?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Ant
    >>
    >> In article <uJomtdLnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, ahughes@NOSPAMrm.com
    >> (Anthony Hughes) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wondered that, but reasoned it would be probable that I'd see disk-related
    >>>errors during normal operation as well. Everything performs fine with the
    > sole
    >>>exception of this at startup......
    >>>
    >>>Anthony

    >>>want