Hi,

I have the A8N Premium and originally had 1.5GB RAM, 2x512MB Corsair PC4000
in A1 & B1 + 1x512MB Corsair PC3200 in A2. I removed the PC3200 and added
2x512MB Geil PC4000 in A2 + B2. With all 4 slots filled the system wouldn't
even post (just a BEEP.......BEEP.......BEEP), however changing the
configuration so the Geil is in A1 + B1 and the Corsair in A2 + B2 allowed
system to post but Windows then either came up with a missing file error and
suggested doing a repair install or simply Blue Screened. I've just manually
set the RAM to 333 CAS2 and system booted normally again.

Main question is am I losing much by running RAM at 333 CAS2 instead of 400
CAS2.5 or 3. All other memory settings were left at default so are there any
other memory settings I should adjust to tweak performance.

System:
A64 4000+ (San Diego) (Rev SH-E4 according to CPU-Z)
2xHitachi 250Gb SATA2
1xSeagate 120Gb SATA
4xOptical drives
XFX 6800GT
580W Hiper Modular PSU
Mobo BIOS 1005 (would updating to 1006\7 fix this)

TIA

Paul

Splendid

In article <0zuNe.92514$G8.49412@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Eyghon"
<eyghon@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the A8N Premium and originally had 1.5GB RAM, 2x512MB Corsair PC4000
> in A1 & B1 + 1x512MB Corsair PC3200 in A2. I removed the PC3200 and added
> 2x512MB Geil PC4000 in A2 + B2. With all 4 slots filled the system wouldn't
> even post (just a BEEP.......BEEP.......BEEP), however changing the
> configuration so the Geil is in A1 + B1 and the Corsair in A2 + B2 allowed
> system to post but Windows then either came up with a missing file error and
> suggested doing a repair install or simply Blue Screened. I've just manually
> set the RAM to 333 CAS2 and system booted normally again.
>
> Main question is am I losing much by running RAM at 333 CAS2 instead of 400
> CAS2.5 or 3. All other memory settings were left at default so are there any
> other memory settings I should adjust to tweak performance.
>
> System:
> A64 4000+ (San Diego) (Rev SH-E4 according to CPU-Z)
> 2xHitachi 250Gb SATA2
> 1xSeagate 120Gb SATA
> 4xOptical drives
> XFX 6800GT
> 580W Hiper Modular PSU
> Mobo BIOS 1005 (would updating to 1006\7 fix this)
>
> TIA

See slide 24 of this memory tutorial.

http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html

CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS are delays, measured in clock cycles.
When you change from 4000 to 3200, they scale, but must be
rounded to the next highest half-integer or integer.

Say you are at 3-3-3-8 at PC4000. PC4000 is DDR500, or a clock
of 250MHz, or 4 nanoseconds. Converting from clock ticks to time,
that is 12ns-12ns-12ns-32ns. If running the RAM at PC3200 or DDR400,
the clock is 200MHz or 5 nanoseconds wide. 12ns/5ns = 2.4 clock
cycles. CAS must be rounded to the next nearest half integer, so
it becomes 2.5, while tRCD and tRP round to the next nearest
integer which is 3 clock cycles. 32ns/5ns=6.4 clock cycles, and
rounded to the next full integer, that is 7. So, your 3-3-3-8
memory can be run at 2.5-3-3-7 at PC3200 speeds (of course, that
is an estimate, and the memory has the final say).

To start with, I would simply keep the original timing, until
the memory is operating properly. If the PC4000 rating is 3-3-3-8,
keep it at 3-3-3-8 while at PC3200.

The next concept is "Command Rate". It is a delay, but in this
case, it measures how long the address/command is presented to
the memory, before the information is strobed into the memory.
It is a penalty you pay for each address/command sent to the
memory, and is different than a single delay penalty cost of
the other parameters.

Command Rate 2T is slower than 1T, but 2T also allows extra time
for the address to stabilize, so is a good choice for demanding
memory configurations.

Swapping the slot pairs for the Corsair and the Geil was brilliant,
as that means you have bypassed whatever problem the BIOS has got.
If you look at the threads here lately, a number of people have had
problems with four sticks, and unless I miss my guess, they are
using Rev.E processors. It is good you found a way to get something
to work with the four sticks.

Your original configuration, of three sticks of memory, could only
have worked with a Rev.E processor. A BIOS detecting a previous
processor would have had to throw away the stick in the A1 or A2
slots, if you were using three sticks. As it is, a Rev.E processor
using three sticks, runs in single channel (64 bit) mode, so your
memory bandwidth is significantly reduced. Moving to two matched
pairs of DIMMs was the right thing to do. (Using 2x1GB would be
even better, but would have meant selling the other RAM.)

Using two sticks only, allows room for overclocking. You could have
a lot of fun with two sticks of PC4000 memory, but four sticks of
DDR PC4000 memory cannot be pushed that high (perhaps PC3500 on
a good day - on an Intel chipset). The Athlon64 memory controller
doesn't have the drive strength to do tricks like that, so with
four sticks, I would be happy to get stability at PC3200. I don't
know right off hand, what typical upper speed you can get with
four sticks. (You'll be able to tell me that, soon...)

There are two potential settings for four sticks. You can use
DDR333 and a command rate of 1T. You can use DDR400 and a command
rate of 2T. The DDR400 setting gives better performance, according
to one poster here who has tried it.

An article on Anandtech warned about the "Auto" setting of the
BIOS, and how it uses Command Rate 1T when it shouldn't. If you
want to go to DDR400, make sure to manually set Command Rate 2T,
("Enable 2T"), perhaps before you insert the second two sticks.
If the computer is able to POST right now, you should be able to
set DDR400 Command Rate 2T, then test for stability by booting
a test floppy containing memtest86+ from memtest.org. For the
other timings, you could choose the aggressive numbers, calculated
as in the math example above (2.5-3-3-7, if the RAM was 3-3-3-8),
or you could leave the RAM at its original values, like 3-3-3-8.
The Command Rate setting affects B.W. by 20%, while a small
difference in CAS might be 3-5%. Dividing those numbers by 3,
gives an average application level performance penalty of 7%
for Command Rate, and 2% for a small difference in CAS.

You can use the bandwidth indicator in memtest86 as a barometer
of how well you are doing on the bandwidth front. You can try
the different settings in the BIOS, run memtest86+, and get
a bandwidth measurement at the same time you wait for two full
error free passes, to prove the new setting is stable.

Give the RAM a bit more Vdimm, like 2.7V, to ensure the memory
meets the JEDEC 2.6V standard value. A little extra won't do any
harm, while really large amounts of Vdimm will make the memory
run real hot. If you download product info for your DIMMs, it
will usually tell you how much volts the RAM can take.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks for reply Paul, I'll try some tweaking later today.

l8r