Running Celeron 1.1 GHz on P3B-1394

I've been running with a 1.1 GHz Celeron in an Abit BH6 motherboard,
but due to a botched capacitor repair, the BH6 no longer works. I've
since switched to a ASUS P3B-1394 board with a 550 MHz PIII I had lying
around. I'd like to use the 1.1 GHz Celeron, but I haven't been able to
get it to work. I'm using a Gigabyte 6R7PR slotket slot 1 to socket 370
adapter with the Celeron. This slotket has pads for voltage adjustment,
but no jumper pins installed. When I tried this Celeron, I got no
response after I applied power - no beeps or monitor activity.

Is it even possible to run a Celeron 1.1 GHz in a P3B-1384 motherboard?
It is a version 2.02, PCBA B05 and has a HIP6004BCB voltage regulator
chip. I have the latest BIOS, 2004.001. Any ideas what I might try? I
remember doing some kind of reset with the Abit BH6 board when I first
installed the Celeron. Is there something similar I should try with the
ASUS board? Should I try adding jumpers to the slotket to get 1.80V? Is
there some point I can measure the voltage? The processor heat sink
touches another heatsink on the motherboard when installed, so it might
be preventing full seating, but I hate to fool around cutting it down
if there is no chance of making this work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

temid4g@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've been running with a 1.1 GHz Celeron in an Abit BH6 motherboard,
> but due to a botched capacitor repair, the BH6 no longer works. I've
> since switched to a ASUS P3B-1394 board with a 550 MHz PIII I had lying
> around. I'd like to use the 1.1 GHz Celeron, but I haven't been able to
> get it to work. I'm using a Gigabyte 6R7PR slotket slot 1 to socket 370
> adapter with the Celeron. This slotket has pads for voltage adjustment,
> but no jumper pins installed. When I tried this Celeron, I got no
> response after I applied power - no beeps or monitor activity.
>
> Is it even possible to run a Celeron 1.1 GHz in a P3B-1384 motherboard?
> It is a version 2.02, PCBA B05 and has a HIP6004BCB voltage regulator
> chip. I have the latest BIOS, 2004.001. Any ideas what I might try? I
> remember doing some kind of reset with the Abit BH6 board when I first
> installed the Celeron. Is there something similar I should try with the
> ASUS board? Should I try adding jumpers to the slotket to get 1.80V? Is
> there some point I can measure the voltage? The processor heat sink
> touches another heatsink on the motherboard when installed, so it might
> be preventing full seating, but I hate to fool around cutting it down
> if there is no chance of making this work.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are 2 things I can think of why it might not work.
First is the slotket, is it really suitable for coppermine chips?
Different board might react differently to slotekts which aren't really
coppermine compliant.
The second reason could be a bios bug, all p2b boards suffered from that
- they would not boot with certain multipliers and fsb settings, and the
1.1Ghz/100fsb cpus were definitely affected. I do not know if the
p3b-1394 suffered from that bug or not (the p3b did not, but the
p3b-1394 is more similar to the p2b). On p2b boards this was fixed with
the latest beta bios, but the p3b-1394 bios is much older. However, p2b
boards did boot with the 1.1Ghz/100Mhz fsb chips when set to 66Mhz fsb,
so I'd try that, though of course that's underclocking...

Roland

The system booted up with the fsb to 66MHz, so it seems the p3b-1394 is
susceptible to the bug in the bios you mentioned. Is there any way to
get it to run at 100MHz fsb? Can the BIOS be modified?

temid4g@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've been running with a 1.1 GHz Celeron in an Abit BH6 motherboard,
> but due to a botched capacitor repair, the BH6 no longer works. I've
> since switched to a ASUS P3B-1394 board with a 550 MHz PIII I had
> lying around. I'd like to use the 1.1 GHz Celeron, but I haven't been
> able to get it to work. I'm using a Gigabyte 6R7PR slotket slot 1 to
> socket 370 adapter with the Celeron. This slotket has pads for

Maybe this Slotket Adapter is a while old. The Multiplier of eleven is
not standard, as the MB supports up to 8x. Maybe here it makes a fault
bez your adapter seems to be made for 370C Cpu´s like the 66MHz
Celerons (433, 533....), or the Coppermine class with 100MHz FSB, but
not for CPU´s over 800MHz. The Katmai P3 (450-600MHz) is IMO a SLOT1
CPU not a 370.
So your Adapter should accept a Cu P3.

> Is it even possible to run a Celeron 1.1 GHz in a P3B-1384

Sure, just read the standards the BX Chipset have and you will see the
expandability of the AGTL+ (64bit) design.
You can see the ZX/BX/GX Chipset as a reference for all p2 and p3 CPU´s
ever released.
By the way, the fastest Chipset for P2 and P3!

> motherboard? It is a version 2.02, PCBA B05 and has a HIP6004BCB
> voltage regulator chip. I have the latest BIOS, 2004.001. Any ideas
> what I might try? I remember doing some kind of reset with the Abit
> BH6 board when I first installed the Celeron. Is there something
> similar I should try with the ASUS board? Should I try adding jumpers
> to the slotket to get 1.80V?

Yes.
Well, I think the 1100 Celeron Cu needs 1.8V. So you have to jumper as
it needs.

> voltage? The processor heat sink touches another heatsink on the
> motherboard when installed, so it might be preventing full seating,
> but I hate to fool around cutting it down if there is no chance of
> making this work.

You should fix that.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

A good Slotket Adpater will work!!!
I have heard that even a 1400 Tualero (small Tualatin) works in a ASUS
P2B Rev 1.02 flawlessly. And thats an old board with no support for the
needed voltages (with standard-older slotkets)!!
But with a good Adapter every P3 Cpu will work in any of the ASUS
PxB-Series. And CuBX, that also needs a Adapter for S-370 Cpu´s even it
is a Socket370-MB. But that´s not your problem.

It´s implausible that your adapter do not work with a 1100 Celeron.
Who knows. There were a couple of troubles with Slot1 Adpater....

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: Welcome to the humble BX users.

temid4g@yahoo.com wrote:
> The system booted up with the fsb to 66MHz, so it seems the p3b-1394
> is susceptible to the bug in the bios you mentioned. Is there any way
> to get it to run at 100MHz fsb? Can the BIOS be modified?
Some experienced bios hacker might be able to do it, not so easy
probably though. Maybe the board would run with a p2b bios, I wouldn't
try it though (unless you have some means to flash back the bios without
using the board itself at least).
The other possibility is to use software to change the fsb frequency
after boot-up, there exist some windows programs (cpufsb for one I
think) which can do that. However, note that this will NOT change the
agp divider, so if your board has no separate agp divider (don't know
for the p3b-1394 right now) the divider will be derived from fsb set by
the jumpers, and so agp clock would jump to 100Mhz if you do that (some
graphic cards might actually still work if you're really lucky at that
frequency - or use a pci graphic card).

Roland